Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

If you could see any band in the world live, who would it be?

I'm on a survey list for a local radio station. They just sent me a survey about the music that they play on their station. It was interesting. They played a 10 second clip of a song (about 20 songs in total) and then asked if you liked it or hated it (on a scale); if it was played too much, enough, or not enough; and what station it should be on (station formats included alternative; classic rock; soft rock; dance; or none of the above. It was a fun survey.

One of the questions was, If you could see any band in the world, live in concert, who would it be. That was a real, real tough one to answer. I ended up saying The Killers, just because a couple of their songs were in the survey and I think that they would be a fun band to see. Thinking about it again now, I should have said Green Day. Tomorrow I'll think that I should have said someone else.

So, if you could see any band live who would it be? Let's narrow it down to it having to be a band that you actually could see live. That means no dead people or bands that have disbanded.

Forum Regular
    Obviously, the correct answer is Pink Floyd. All other choices are moot, futile, wrong.
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

I'd go see Neutral Milk Hotel just to see if Jeff Mangum could pull off "Oh, Comely" with the same intensity as the studio cut. Or I might time travel back to 1999 to see D-Plan. I wanted to see McLusky but never had the chance.

And I really want to see a double bill with Les Savy Fav and Enon. And !!! could open for 'em
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    On various different days, it'd be one of these:

Tori
    Apop B
    Assemblage 23
    Beborn Beton
    Black Heart Procession
    Blue Man Group
    Bowie
    Calexico
    Collide
    Curve
    De/Vision
    Neubauten
    Peter Gabriel
    Garbage
    The Gathering
    Godhead
    Lacuna Coil
    Legendary Pink Dots
    Lhasa
    Nightwish
    Nine Inch Nails
    Notwist
    Pink Floyd
    Project Pitchfork
    Tear Garden
    Therion

(I have seen most of these live -- what's wrong with thinking they were so good that I'd want to see them again?)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Eric Clapton
    Look & Listen

Bands I've already seen--Iggy & The Stooges well before anyone else, then Green Day, Big Star, Nick Lowe, Dr. John, & Dick Dale.

Bands I haven't seen--Beck, Brian Wilson, Nick Cave, the Little Killers, Bob Dylan, what's left of the MC5, what's left of the Who, & Steve Earle.

If I had to choose JUST ONE, then Iggy & The Stooges.

I don't like others.

Suspended
    Wow, Dusty, I think she said "a" band as in, one, uno, glad you could narrow it down And? what planet are you from, I've not heard most of those bands. I'd like to hang out at your house for a week just listening to stuff I haven't heard before.

I have to admit I've been thinking and still don't have a decisive answer yet either. Pink Floyd would be great or maybe Rush if they were doing a mid 80's and earlier tour. I've seen Journey before but I was looking forward to seeing the anniversary tour this past summer but plans fell through.

I'm going to cheat...

FA, I'm going to cheat & say Led Zeppelin.

Call me a dreamer, but I'd still love to see Jimmy, Robert, John Paul, and a replacement drummer (Grohl?? or Bonham jr??) perform a 3+hour set of their music.

It would ensure that I would die with a smile on my face -- contented and fully rocked.

Cheers,

Bill

Never ever saw the Ramones. That pretty much sucks. Never saw the Clash and Siouxsie either. That sucks, but not quite so hard. Put me down for the Ramones.

Oh, now I've read all the words. No dead people...bummer.

OK, then for me it would come down to The Legends or Moonbabies. I'm going cheat a little and call it a tie as I sadly don't even have any boots of either one.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Wow, Dusty, I think she said "a" band as in, one, uno, glad you could narrow it down
    Meh. Rules are for...people who follow rules. Rulefollowers, as it were.
    And? what planet are you from...
    Blergarvia.
    I'd like to hang out at your house for a week just listening to stuff I haven't heard before.
    You'd need to hold your breath. A lot. It's got an atmosphere kind of like a cross between Venus and Pluto. Here (on what you earthlings call "earth"), I have no home. Homeless, as it were.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Most active bands I want to see, aside from some jazz artists, I have seen live. Still, I have seen Pearl Jam 21 times and I am going to 2 PJ shows tomorrow and Friday and couldn't be more excited!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    After I missed Rattle and Hum, I thought it would be U2, but then I had the unfortunate experience of suffering a PopMart tour...

Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    FA, I'm going to cheat & say Led Zeppelin.

Call me a dreamer, but I'd still love to see Jimmy, Robert, John Paul, and a replacement drummer (Grohl?? or Bonham jr??) perform a 3+hour set of their music.

It would ensure that I would die with a smile on my face -- contented and fully rocked.

Cheers,

Bill
    FWIT,saw them 3 times and was there in How the west was won. They were always the best concert to go to and that was when we were seeing the who,tull, M Blues,cat stevens,humble pie,mountain,stones, ELP,Guess Who, santana and everbody else that came to Long Beach or the Forum or the OC in the 60's and 70's and the start of the 80's. Still have ticket stubbs for those concerts. $5.50 to 10 bucks. LOL
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    The Musical Box - Lamb

Marillion

IQ

The Flower Kings

Uriah Heep

CAMEL

Regards,

Dave

I never got to see the Beatles. I'd have to put them on top.
    Also never got to see Jimmy Hendrix.

Bands I have seen and would go again:
    Pink Floyd
    Yes
    Rush (many times, 2112 tour was the best)
    Boston
    Ted Nugent
    Aero****h
    Quiet Riot
    Black Sabbath
    B.O.C.
    Twisted Sister
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Pink Floyd w/ Waters is the easy pic.

AC/DC is next on my "must sees"
    U2
    The Cult, plus Astbury does a few killer Doors covers.
    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Pink Floyd w/ Waters is the easy pic.

AC/DC is next on my "must sees"
    U2
    The Cult, plus Astbury does a few killer Doors covers.
    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
    AC/DC I forgot them. I saw them so long ago that they were the warm up band for one of the bands I mentioned earlier. Had no idea who they were at the time.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I saw Beck do a 45 min. show in the middle of the afternoon, in Atlanta, outdoors, in the middle of the summer, during a Lalapalooza. An extended show in a more comfortable setting would be nice. (As I get older, air conditioning and comfortable seating move higher up the priority list.)

And to my surprise, Willie Nelson also came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    AC/DC I forgot them. I saw them so long ago that they were the warm up band for one of the bands I mentioned earlier. Had no idea who they were at the time.
    I had a similar experience when I went to see Motley Crue many years ago. Guns 'n Roses opened. I had no idea who they were, but it wasn't long before I was ready for them to get off the stage. I saw G'nR several years later and I felt the same way. They followed Metallica who drained the whole crowd of all emotion EXCEPT hatred for G'nR. Metallica was so intense almost everyone was worn out. Those who weren't dozing during G'nR were booing.

Forum Regular
    Wish I could've seen INXS. With the new "Rock Star" show (travesty?) on every week, it really made me remember the great songs. At one time they were dubbed "world's best live band". Always liked the them, and Michael Hutchens was a classic frontman.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I had a similar experience when I went to see Motley Crue many years ago. Guns 'n Roses opened. I had no idea who they were, but it wasn't long before I was ready for them to get off the stage. I saw G'nR several years later and I felt the same way. They followed Metallica who drained the whole crowd of all emotion EXCEPT hatred for G'nR. Metallica was so intense almost everyone was worn out. Those who weren't dozing during G'nR were booing.
    I was never a big G&R fan. Just seemed like noise to me.

When I went to see Rush's A Farewell to Kings Tour in 1977, I had never heard of AC/DC. When they finished we were all asking eachother, who was that? Do you remember their name? Do they have a record out?
    Still, Rush was the main attraction and they never let me down. Every time I saw them they were great.

I went to see West,Bruce and Lang a long time ago. Flash cadilac and the continental kids opened and some other group nobody had heard of, Mott the Hopple that blew the doors off the place. Same thing,next day went to the record stores and they had sold out.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I was never a big G&R fan. Just seemed like noise to me.
    The first time I saw them, when I didn't know who they were, we could barely hear them. Evidently the Crue (who I'm not that fond of either, but they put on a good show) made'em use a crappy sound system. That was funny.

When I saw them with Metallica, Axle Rose was so pissed because no one was getting into the show. It was hilarious to see him running around in that kilt all pissed off. When they played the Godfather theme (that's no way to liven up an audience), I fell asleep. Again, they came across as a joke. It was almost worth the price of admission just to see them flop.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

This stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So, if you could see any band live who would it be? Let's narrow it down to it having to be a band that you actually could see live. That means no dead people or bands that have disbanded.

Because I would have said the Plasmatics. I met Wendy O Williams once at the beach, but I have only seen clips from one of her concerts as she took apart a car with a chainsaw! I really wish I could have seen Black Flag too, but of course they disbanded many years ago.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Because I would have said the Plasmatics. I met Wendy O Williams once at the beach, but I have only seen clips from one of her concerts as she took apart a car with a chainsaw! I really wish I could have seen Black Flag too, but of course they disbanded many years ago.
    Oh, now look who's not following rules!

So was Wendy as weird on the beach as she was in the band?

Today my answer would be Genesis. Get Peter Gabriel back with the boys for a reunion tour. Now that would be KILLER!!! But since that's not going to happen, I see that Musical Box is doing the "Lamb" tour again. Dave, here's your chance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information