• 10-02-2004, 05:00 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I went to my first live opera last night!
    I went to my last live opera last night too! :D
  • 10-02-2004, 05:31 AM
    audiobill
    Which one??
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I went to my last live opera last night too! :D

    I take it you didn't like it??
    The COC really sucks imho. There is one company in Toronto, however, that may make you fall madly in love with opera (again, or for the first time..he,he,he,).
    The Opera Atelier only put on one or two shows each year. They go over the top to perform in period costumes/ instruments/ sets. If you ever have a chance to see them, FA, you will not be disappointed. Their best productions are Mozart's operas.

    FYI,
    audiobill
  • 10-02-2004, 06:57 AM
    Slosh
    Next time try a dead opera.

    NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (for the 5th time in 24 hours :) )
  • 10-02-2004, 08:04 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by audiobill
    I take it you didn't like it??
    The COC really sucks imho. There is one company in Toronto, however, that may make you fall madly in love with opera (again, or for the first time..he,he,he,).
    The Opera Atelier only put on one or two shows each year. They go over the top to perform in period costumes/ instruments/ sets. If you ever have a chance to see them, FA, you will not be disappointed. Their best productions are Mozart's operas.

    FYI,
    audiobill

    I've never been a big opera fan. I love the theatrics but have a tough time getting over the vocals. The Opera we saw last night was The Handmaid's Tale. It's a modern opera first perfomed in Norway in 2000. It's based on Margaret Atwood's book of the same name. I loved reading this book and was very curious to see how the story would be transposed to the stage.

    From a performance standpoint the production was fantastic. I was riveted through the entire performance and very impressed by how true to the book the story was able to hold. The staging was brilliantly orchestrated, using a silent cast of characters to move the sets on and off the stage when needed. This movement of sets actually worked well with the story and was never distracting. The cast was very talented. I just didn't dig the singing.

    I would have liked this much better had it been written as a dark musical. Say, in the tradition of Les Miserables.

    Have you read the book Bill? If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's very politically and religiously motivated. And although we say, "this could never happen", the events in the book are based on historical facts. It's a very disturbing story.
  • 10-02-2004, 08:55 AM
    tentoze
    Not to hijack the opera thread or anything, but, Slosh, this new Earlimart should be added to my ever-growing wish-list?
  • 10-02-2004, 09:20 AM
    Slosh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tentoze
    Not to hijack the opera thread or anything, but, Slosh, this new Earlimart should be added to my ever-growing wish-list?

    Well, if you like the mellower side of Grandaddy, then absolutely! I'm sure we could work out a trade and if you like it I know you're the type that will buy a legit copy. Earlimart for WGC?
  • 10-02-2004, 09:23 AM
    tentoze
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slosh
    Well, if you like the mellower side of Grandaddy, then absolutely! I'm sure we could work out a trade and if you like it I know you're the type that will buy a legit copy. Earlimart for WGC?

    Consider it done. You don't aready have Regard The End??????????? Shameful. :p
  • 10-02-2004, 09:43 AM
    Slosh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tentoze
    You don't aready have Regard The End??????????? Shameful. :p

    Not for long, apparently ;) If it's as good as everyone's making it out to be then my legit copy will be of the vinyl variety. I'll get your stuff in the mail early this week if I get done with work before the PO closes. BTW, no rush on the WGC. I've got plenty of new stuff to digest at the moment.

    Thanks!

    NP: Giant Sand Is All Over The Map
  • 10-02-2004, 09:18 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    So there I was, thinking you'd actually like it, and I was going to post a simple, "I'm sorry" (as in, I'm sorry you went to the opera last night), in my typical disgruntled opera-hater mode, but there you are, making my post kind of pointless. Or is it me (making my post pointless)? Anyway, I'm not going to say "I'm sorry", because it's not my fault.

    So there yugo.
  • 10-03-2004, 12:05 PM
    Lord_Magnepan
    Well i dont know if it counts as a Opera or a Play but, i love the Phantom of the Opera. :p