Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

My unexpected evening with Duran Duran.

So here's how it went down. Duran Duran were in town last night. We didn't even know that they were coming, but even if we did at $150 a ticket, we wouldn't have gone anyway. A local radio station is having an on-line auction to raise money for charity. On Monday afternoon they added a pair of Duran Duran tickets for Tuesday night's show. I suggested to Hubby that we open up the bidding with the minimum requested bid. Because of the late addition, the bidding period was less than 24 hours. If no-one else bid we would get excellent seats for 1/3 of the ticket price for what was sure to be a fun evening out. If someone else bid over us, we would have helped to raise the bid and earn money for the charity. The bidding closed at 10am Tuesday morning and as it turned out we ended up with the tickets.

I’ve never disliked Duran Duran, but I’ve never been a huge fan of theirs either. Nothing against them, it’s just that when they were in their prime I was spending my time listening to Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Priest and the like. A metalhead like me wasn’t going to get caught listening to Duran Duran. Hubby on the other hand was much more open minded than me and quite liked the band.

So off we went to the show, unexpected, and on short notice. The opening act was a band called Your Vegas. They were decent enough. Catchy tunes and great stage presence. The front man had a pretty good voice in the lower register but kept moving into the higher register and just wasn’t pulling it off well, IMO. They had an autograph session set up between their set and DDs. I thought it was brilliant marketing and wondered why more opening bands don’t do that.

So then Duran Duran takes the stage. I wasn’t ready for the crowd reaction. A standing ovation just for walking out on stage. I’ve seen that happen a few times in my life, Yes, Bowie, Pink Floyd. I just don’t think of Duran Duran at that level. Wow.

And speaking of Wow…what a show! These guys may be geezers but man, they still put on a great show. It was full of energy. They played for just under two hours and never stopped once. They all looked great. They were fit and probably could have still worn the old spandex, but thankfully they didn’t. Although, I’m sure that there must have been a few rugs on the stage. There’s just no way that out of four guys that age, not one of them has thinning hair.

The music was great. The energy was high. The crowd was on their feet through the whole show. They played a good mix of new stuff and old hits. And there wasn’t a dull moment. Considering that I’m not a huge fan, I had a great time!

I was surprised, however, at how young much of the crowd was. There was certainly the 40-somethings reminiscing their younger days, but there were a lot of 20-somethings there too. The girls a few seats down from us had to be in their early 20’s and knew every word of every song. I’m puzzled as to where these kids are hearing Duran Duran. And I’m even more puzzled that they would spend $150 a seat to see them. I was expecting a stage full of has-beens. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I swear to God I had the same experience ten or fifteen years ago. I've posted about it too.

Tickets through a radio giveaway? check
    Marginal but competent opener? check
    Amazing skill and presence from complete professionals? check

I think this is one of those bands you just have to see live to appreciate, or at least to recognise that they're not totally some prefab, studio, '80's version of "The Monkees".
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I think most people are jaded by this band's glossy image on early MTV (not unlike many '80s acts). A friend of mine saw these guys way back when and said they smoked live - I'da never thunkit either. The same guy saw The Cars in concert back then, a band I like and still think of as being cool, and he said they sucked beyond belief, so go figure. A few bands I can think of from the '80s, like ZZ-Top, Hall&Oats and John Cougar Mellencamp, had reps for being hit or miss in concert.

No shame for enjoying any band who is entertaining and competent, as long as you had a good time, but at 150 bucks a pop, it ain't likely I'd ever see'em. I think the $150 mark is the going rate these days, especially for nostalgia acts.

You gotta be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So here's how it went down. Duran Duran were in town last night. We didn't even know that they were coming, but even if we did at $150 a ticket, we wouldn't have gone anyway. A local radio station is having an on-line auction to raise money for charity. On Monday afternoon they added a pair of Duran Duran tickets for Tuesday night's show. I suggested to Hubby that we open up the bidding with the minimum requested bid. Because of the late addition, the bidding period was less than 24 hours. If no-one else bid we would get excellent seats for 1/3 of the ticket price for what was sure to be a fun evening out. If someone else bid over us, we would have helped to raise the bid and earn money for the charity. The bidding closed at 10am Tuesday morning and as it turned out we ended up with the tickets.

I’ve never disliked Duran Duran, but I’ve never been a huge fan of theirs either. Nothing against them, it’s just that when they were in their prime I was spending my time listening to Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Priest and the like. A metalhead like me wasn’t going to get caught listening to Duran Duran. Hubby on the other hand was much more open minded than me and quite liked the band.

So off we went to the show, unexpected, and on short notice. The opening act was a band called Your Vegas. They were decent enough. Catchy tunes and great stage presence. The front man had a pretty good voice in the lower register but kept moving into the higher register and just wasn’t pulling it off well, IMO. They had an autograph session set up between their set and DDs. I thought it was brilliant marketing and wondered why more opening bands don’t do that.

So then Duran Duran takes the stage. I wasn’t ready for the crowd reaction. A standing ovation just for walking out on stage. I’ve seen that happen a few times in my life, Yes, Bowie, Pink Floyd. I just don’t think of Duran Duran at that level. Wow.

And speaking of Wow…what a show! These guys may be geezers but man, they still put on a great show. It was full of energy. They played for just under two hours and never stopped once. They all looked great. They were fit and probably could have still worn the old spandex, but thankfully they didn’t. Although, I’m sure that there must have been a few rugs on the stage. There’s just no way that out of four guys that age, not one of them has thinning hair.

The music was great. The energy was high. The crowd was on their feet through the whole show. They played a good mix of new stuff and old hits. And there wasn’t a dull moment. Considering that I’m not a huge fan, I had a great time!

I was surprised, however, at how young much of the crowd was. There was certainly the 40-somethings reminiscing their younger days, but there were a lot of 20-somethings there too. The girls a few seats down from us had to be in their early 20’s and knew every word of every song. I’m puzzled as to where these kids are hearing Duran Duran. And I’m even more puzzled that they would spend $150 a seat to see them. I was expecting a stage full of has-beens. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
    $150 per seat? For Duran, Duran? The apocalypse is upon us. I can't imagine ANY band worth seeing for that price.Maybe the original Beatles, like that's gonna happen.The Stones with back stage passes maybe. I never cared much for them, but I don't dismiss them as crap either, but $150? Get the flock out of here.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I know, $150 a seat is crazy! There's no way in hell that we would have paid the real ticket price. But $130 (after rush courier costs to get the tickets in time) for the two seats and knowing that $105 of that is going to a charity that helps victims of abuse just enhanced the whole experience.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm a closet Duran Duran fan and saw them on tour in 93 I believe in support of The Wedding Album got hooked on some of their older stuff.

I have Red Carpet Massacre and it's pretty solid pop/dance stuff, which I have very little of in my collection.

Not surprised you enjoyed yourself. These guys are good.

Never been a fan, but my girl at the time liked them and off we went to see them in Berlin in '81 (Genesis played on the same night) Must have loved her I guess. But....they were pretty good. I prefered the opening act though - Our Daughters Wedding- still got the Lawnchairs 7 inch.
    Glad you had a good night FA, but I am with Swishy though. 150 notes. No Sir.

P.S. Swish I saw the Echo show in Liverpool last month. Superb.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

I know, $150 a seat is crazy! There's no way in hell that we would have paid the real ticket price. But $130 (after rush courier costs to get the tickets in time) for the two seats and knowing that $105 of that is going to a charity that helps victims of abuse just enhanced the whole experience.
    Wait, you saw Duran Duran, and the money is going to victims of abuse? So does that mean you're getting a rebate?

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Wait, you saw Duran Duran, and the money is going to victims of abuse? So does that mean you're getting a rebate?

fp

fp
    Only you could come up with something that twisted.

That's why he's R Ma Tee.

Only you could come up with something that twisted.
    The original pirate comedian.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Echo in Liverpool? Sweeeeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Never been a fan, but my girl at the time liked them and off we went to see them in Berlin in '81 (Genesis played on the same night) Must have loved her I guess. But....they were pretty good. I prefered the opening act though - Our Daughters Wedding- still got the Lawnchairs 7 inch.
    Glad you had a good night FA, but I am with Swishy though. 150 notes. No Sir.

P.S. Swish I saw the Echo show in Liverpool last month. Superb.
    I assume it was the usual show and not with orchestration, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Swishdaddy

Awesome, FA.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I assume it was the usual show and not with orchestration, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Swishdaddy
    Swishdaddy- It was the full Orchestration well for the Ocean Rain part. It was fantastic. No encore though. I guess it's difficult to follow a song like Ocean Rain. I loved the pictures of the band in the background during the second half.
    Last edited by Bernd; 12-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.

The original pirate comedian.
    Uh, that's R MAY Tee.

Now, swab them decks! Arrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it was a typo.

Uh, that's R MAY Tee.

Now, swab them decks! Arrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
    Tanks a rot fore thu ceedees two.

Sweeshbebe

You lucky dog. I loved that show at Radio City...

Swishdaddy- It was the full Orchestration well for the Ocean Rain part. It was fantastic. No encore though. I guess it's difficult to follow a song like Ocean Rain. I loved the pictures of the band in the background during the second half.
    ...and should have assumed they were still doing more shows with the orchestra. My bfb (best friend Bob) was trying to get tickets to see them at Royal Albert Hall but they sold out so quickly we didn't have a shot. Now that would have been an expensive show, but we would have added a vacation to it to make it worth the flight of course.

...and should have assumed they were still doing more shows with the orchestra. My bfb (best friend Bob) was trying to get tickets to see them at Royal Albert Hall but they sold out so quickly we didn't have a shot. Now that would have been an expensive show, but we would have added a vacation to it to make it worth the flight of course.
    Thanks. Yeah I loved the show. I could not understand why the Albert Hall sold out so fast, when the homecoming gig still had tickets left with a couple of weeks to go.

Well, I guess they have lots of fans in London.

Thanks. Yeah I loved the show. I could not understand why the Albert Hall sold out so fast, when the homecoming gig still had tickets left with a couple of weeks to go.
    Bob is a member of their 'fan club' or some such thing, so he was able to buy tickets for the Radio City show before they were offered to the general public. I think he had the same option for the RAH show too, but they were all gone before he could grab any.

In reality, I wasn't really certain I would have been able to make the London show, but we figured we would buy the tickets and see if we could get away for it. If not, we could easily have sold them to someone.

Anyway, I'm glad at least one other member of RR got to see the Ocean Rain show.

Swish

Forum Regular
    Duran Duran? You'd have to pay me to go. I was never a fan of 80s music. All those bad haircuts, awful vocals, tinny sounding drums (where was the bass?), and one fingered keyboard playing. Yuck! If you were talking about Dire Straits, it might be a different story, but Duran Duran, no way.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

All I've got to say is Forever Autumn,

I am so jealous of you! Duran Duran! I love those guys! Adore them. I would have been one of the 30 something's in the crowd singing along w/ every flippin' song!

Okay, I had a thing for John Taylor in 7th grade. I admit it, who didn't?

They are awesome! I would love, love, love to see a live show.

Now thay you've said just how awesome they were, I'm going to next chance I get. I hope they have another show somewhere on the west coast soon!

So jealous!!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Beats
    Okay, I had a thing for John Taylor in 7th grade. I admit it, who didn't?
    I didn't.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Thread Information