Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,853

    I just got the oddest CD box/jewel case ever.

    Just got Bjork's Volta and was immediately aware that the cardboard packaging is the weirdest effing thing I've ever seen. Lying flat, there are two flaps that fold inward to close the box, and then another flap the size of the case flips up to uncover the disc. Inside that flap is a nice insert that unfolds to show all the lyrics (always appreciated) and credits for each tune. While that may not seem too weird, the flops are 'sealed' shut by some sort of decal with Bjork's face on what appears to be some some kind of fruit that represents her body, with big purple feet on the bottom. You actually have to peel the seal away to open the box, and I envisioned it tearing into pieces, but it actually come off in one easy pull, almost like a Post It note, but it's shiny and colorful, and probably a bit stickier. This seal/decal can actually be used over and over as I tried it about a dozen times without fail, but if you don't use it the damn flaps don't stay up! What a bunch of crap! I promptly made a copy for my car and one for my wife, and don't plan on playing the original anytime soon. What a pain in the arse.

    I have one other that may rival it; Califone - It's a Wonderful Life. No seal though, so I guess Volta takes the coveted prize. Anybody else have one to match it???

    G Swish
    Last edited by Swish; 05-29-2007 at 07:04 PM.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  2. #2
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I have one other that may rival it; Califone - It's a Wonderful Life. No seal though, so I guess Volta takes the coveted prize. Anybody else have one to match it???
    I think you are confusing two albums, Califone's Roomsound and Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life. I know this because I have owned both of them and have been equally infuriated by their difficult packaging (although from working in a record store, I know that second pressings onward of It's a Wonderful Life came in regular ol' jewel cases).

    I've got a couple of other albums that make you work to get to the payoff... Arab on Radar's Rough Day at the Orifice comes to mind. Or that awful special edition of Tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk that came with all sorts of crap crammed into a tiny cardboard box! Weirdest are the few 3" CDs in my collection, uniformly impossible to free from their cardboard prisons: AIDSWOLF - Live Deth, Gay Beast - Quilted Navy Pier EP, Four Tet - "Sun Drums & Soil" single...

    In summation, I feel yr pain.

    ~Rae

  3. #3
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,853

    How the heck did you know that???

    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I think you are confusing two albums, Califone's Roomsound and Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life. I know this because I have owned both of them and have been equally infuriated by their difficult packaging (although from working in a record store, I know that second pressings onward of It's a Wonderful Life came in regular ol' jewel cases).

    I've got a couple of other albums that make you work to get to the payoff... Arab on Radar's Rough Day at the Orifice comes to mind. Or that awful special edition of Tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk that came with all sorts of crap crammed into a tiny cardboard box! Weirdest are the few 3" CDs in my collection, uniformly impossible to free from their cardboard prisons: AIDSWOLF - Live Deth, Gay Beast - Quilted Navy Pier EP, Four Tet - "Sun Drums & Soil" single...

    In summation, I feel yr pain.

    ~Rae
    I realized when I awoke this morning that it was indeed the Califone cd that was weird, not Sparklehorse, and was going to edit my post, but you beat me to it. I guess I just can't figure out how you knew it was Roomsounds. I mean, how did you know I had that one? You're freakin' me out.

    G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  4. #4
    sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beneath the mambo sun
    Posts
    184
    Our buddy Slosh knows what to say about it ... Does anyone actually LIKE those mini-lp CD covers?

    At least some of those old Sub Pop releases by Califone and Red Red Meat and others are easy to get the CD out of without bending the shit out of it like most of those stupid digipaks. I got the UK copy of It's a Wonderful Life and it came in a regular jewel case. I think the reissue of Roomsound is in a jewel case too. I like the quaintness of that one though. Gives it a real personality. Priceless stuff. Sharp as pastry. Wouldn't trade it for hundreds of sparrows. Not that I get many offers ...

  5. #5
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,853

    I stand corrected regarding the decal / sticker thingy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Our buddy Slosh knows what to say about it ... Does anyone actually LIKE those mini-lp CD covers?

    At least some of those old Sub Pop releases by Califone and Red Red Meat and others are easy to get the CD out of without bending the shit out of it like most of those stupid digipaks. I got the UK copy of It's a Wonderful Life and it came in a regular jewel case. I think the reissue of Roomsound is in a jewel case too. I like the quaintness of that one though. Gives it a real personality. Priceless stuff. Sharp as pastry. Wouldn't trade it for hundreds of sparrows. Not that I get many offers ...
    ... with Bjork's face on it. While it is still sticking fairly well, the bottom of it, where the feet are located, has curled up in the air and will no longer adhere to the box. What a joke.

    G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  6. #6
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Let us not forget that this is far from her best disc content-wise and the rotten sticker thingy just seals the deal. This one will end up holding down a shelf somewhere waiting for its semi-annual play. Overall, an ill-conceived package.

  7. #7
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    937
    My M83 DEAD CITIES.. came in this weird plastic shell thingy. No other cd I own is packaged this way. It's ok - it works just fine, it's just that it doesn't fit in with all the others. That was probably the point. It was an import, so maybe others from over thar in Europe come this way..
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

    I tweet @masonjarjar

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook