Emmylou, Gillian and Patty Griffin live at the Keswick.

I posted a bunch of weeks ago that I bought some tickets to see these three ladies, along with Buddy Miller, Emmylou's guitarist since 1995, David Rawlings, Gillian's guitarist and "life partner" as described by Emmylou, along with Patty's full band (guitar, bass, percussion and keyboard/multi-instrumentalist).

The Keswick is located in Glenside, PA, a town just a little bit northeast of Philly. The venue was changed from the Mann Music Center, apparently because of low ticket sales (The Keswick is quite a bit smaller than the Mann). Anyway, the 5 main performers (everyone but the four members of Patty's band) came out and played a tune, although I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Emmylou was the spokesperson, as she should be, and told us that there would be no intermission and that each of the featured artists would perform a "mini-set" for us..

Emmylou was the first to perform her set and she was simply dazzling. I've never seen her live, so this was a real treat for me. Our seats were dead-center and about 7 rows from the stage, so we could see everything very well. It's hard to believe that Emmy is nearly 60 years old. Her skin is still smooth, her face beautiful, and her voice in perfect form. I can't name everything she sang, but Songbird was one of the highlights, along with a couple tunes I recall from Red Dirt Girl. Songbird was a solo but the rest were performed with Buddy as I recall. At the end of her set she called out to Patti and Gillian and the three of them sang Go To Sleep Little Baby, which Emmylou and Gillian recorded for the soundtrack of O'Brother, Where Art Thou, along with Allison Krauss.

Next out was Buddy, and he played a few very nice tunes with the help of the percussionist from Patti's band. I can't tell you the names of any of his songs since I'm not familiar with his solo work (his new CD will be out in September), but one standout he performed with Patty Griffin was and old Gram Parson song, Dark End of the Street. This guy can play some nice geetar and his voice is perfect for Alt-Country. Someone asked the age of one of his electric guitars, and he said he bought it for $50.00 at a pawn shop in Denver in 1976. It was weird-looking but sounded pretty cool, with a twangy,surf-type vibe.

Next up was Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who we saw last May in Solona Beach, CA. While I thought they were much better last year, the crowd was duly impressed with them. The highlight was Revelator, with what I consider some incredible acoustic soloi work by David. He plays a 1935 Epiphone, a small, plain-looking piece of shiite, but it must be one fine instrument based on the way it sounds when he's playing it. It makes me want to toss my guitars into a nearby lake (sigh).

Next was Patti Griffin, who I like pretty much, but I can't say I've ever been a big fan. What a mistake. She was freakin' awesome! It's hard to believe such a powerful voice can come out of such a tiny little body. She was accompanied by her full band, along with Buddy Miller, and they blew me away. Most of her songs were dark and foreboding and the instruments understated but perfectly matched to the songs. Cold as it Gets may have been my favorite, or maybe In the Shadow of the Hill (I think that's the name, but I'm not 100% sure) that featured some deep, dark background vocals by her band, but I'd have to go with "I Wish You Well", a great breakup song if ever I heard one.

After Patty finished her set, the rest of the gang came out on stage and did a nice version of "The Weight", reminiscent of the version from The Last Waltz, with Buddy doing an outstanding job singing the stanza originally done by Rick Danko, and Patty blew me away with her part that was originally performed by one of the female "Staple Singers" in that movie/documentary..

They all took a bow and left the stage but quickly returned for the encore.Their version of "Turn, Turn, Turn" was not very good, but "Six Days on the Road" was excellent, with Gillian playing bass and Buddy Miller doing the lead vocals. Emmylou finished the night with In My Hour of Darkness, a song she had performed many years ago with Gram Parsons. I probably got this last part wrong since there were two encores, but my day started at 5:30 AM adn it was now about 11:30, so I was asleep on my feet.

I'm a rocker from way back, but I'm really starting to appreciate this kind of music as I age gracefully (ok, I'm kicking and screaming). This was one excellent show and I'm so glad I finally got to see Emmylou Harris live, atlhough I got a huge surprise from Patty Gfriffin, and I plan to acquire the rest of her of her catalog in the very near future. Did I tell you she impressed the hell out of me?

Swish, dead tired and going to bed.

Regards,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Good on you, Swish. I knew there was some twangy hope in ya...........

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I posted a bunch of weeks ago that I bought some tickets to see these three ladies, along with Buddy Miller, Emmylou's guitarist since 1995, David Rawlings, Gillian's guitarist and "life partner" as described by Emmylou, along with Patty's full band (guitar, bass, percussion and keyboard/multi-instrumentalist).

The Keswick is located in Glenside, PA, a town just a little bit northeast of Philly. The venue was changed from the Mann Music Center, apparently because of low ticket sales (The Keswick is quite a bit smaller than the Mann). Anyway, the 5 main performers (everyone but the four members of Patty's band) came out and played a tune, although I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Emmylou was the spokesperson, as she should be, and told us that there would be no intermission and that each of the featured artists would perform a "mini-set" for us..

Emmylou was the first to perform her set and she was simply dazzling. I've never seen her live, so this was a real treat for me. Our seats were dead-center and about 7 rows from the stage, so we could see everything very well. It's hard to believe that Emmy is nearly 60 years old. Her skin is still smooth, her face beautiful, and her voice in perfect form. I can't name everything she sang, but Songbird was one of the highlights, along with a couple tunes I recall from Red Dirt Girl. Songbird was a solo but the rest were performed with Buddy as I recall. At the end of her set she called out to Patti and Gillian and the three of them sang Go To Sleep Little Baby, which Emmylou and Gillian recorded for the soundtrack of O'Brother, Where Art Thou, along with Allison Krauss.

Next out was Buddy, and he played a few very nice tunes with the help of the percussionist from Patti's band. I can't tell you the names of any of his songs since I'm not familiar with his solo work (his new CD will be out in September), but one standout he performed with Patty Griffin was and old Gram Parson song, Dark End of the Street. This guy can play some nice geetar and his voice is perfect for Alt-Country. Someone asked the age of one of his electric guitars, and he said he bought it for $50.00 at a pawn shop in Denver in 1976. It was weird-looking but sounded pretty cool, with a twangy,surf-type vibe.

Next up was Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, who we saw last May in Solona Beach, CA. While I thought they were much better last year, the crowd was duly impressed with them. The highlight was Revelator, with what I consider some incredible acoustic soloi work by David. He plays a 1935 Epiphone, a small, plain-looking piece of shiite, but it must be one fine instrument based on the way it sounds when he's playing it. It makes me want to toss my guitars into a nearby lake (sigh).

Next was Patti Griffin, who I like pretty much, but I can't say I've ever been a big fan. What a mistake. She was freakin' awesome! It's hard to believe such a powerful voice can come out of such a tiny little body. She was accompanied by her full band, along with Buddy Miller, and they blew me away. Most of her songs were dark and foreboding and the instruments understated but perfectly matched to the songs. Cold as it Gets may have been my favorite, or maybe In the Shadow of the Hill (I think that's the name, but I'm not 100% sure) that featured some deep, dark background vocals by her band, but I'd have to go with "I Wish You Well", a great breakup song if ever I heard one.

After Patty finished her set, the rest of the gang came out on stage and did a nice version of "The Weight", reminiscent of the version from The Last Waltz, with Buddy doing an outstanding job singing the stanza originally done by Rick Danko, and Patty blew me away with her part that was originally performed by one of the female "Staple Singers" in that movie/documentary..

They all took a bow and left the stage but quickly returned for the encore.Their version of "Turn, Turn, Turn" was not very good, but "Six Days on the Road" was excellent, with Gillian playing bass and Buddy Miller doing the lead vocals. Emmylou finished the night with In My Hour of Darkness, a song she had performed many years ago with Gram Parsons. I probably got this last part wrong since there were two encores, but my day started at 5:30 AM adn it was now about 11:30, so I was asleep on my feet.

I'm a rocker from way back, but I'm really starting to appreciate this kind of music as I age gracefully (ok, I'm kicking and screaming). This was one excellent show and I'm so glad I finally got to see Emmylou Harris live, atlhough I got a huge surprise from Patty Gfriffin, and I plan to acquire the rest of her of her catalog in the very near future. Did I tell you she impressed the hell out of me?

Swish, dead tired and going to bed.

Regards,
    Swish
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I guess there aren't many Alt Country fans on the board, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Good on you, Swish. I knew there was some twangy hope in ya...........
    I know I haven't exactly been a regular around here lately, but only 13 hits and one response? Maybe I oughta rethink the prog thing. On second thought, no thanks! Hey, it was a great show, although my review, written while I had a nice beer-buzz, isn't all that interesting I suppos. But only 13 hits makes me realize that Emmylou doesn't mean much to many of the visitors here. Maybe they just don't like me, although I find that hard to believe.

Swishy Washy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I know I haven't exactly been a regular around here lately, but only 13 hits and one response? Maybe I oughta rethink the prog thing. On second thought, no thanks! Hey, it was a great show, although my review, written while I had a nice beer-buzz, isn't all that interesting I suppos. But only 13 hits makes me realize that Emmylou doesn't mean much to many of the visitors here. Maybe they just don't like me, although I find that hard to believe.

Swishy Washy
    It does seem to be over-run with proggers, eh? Just kidding, proggers- ya'll have fun with whatever fills yr boots.

As for me, I'm tuning up for an $8 outdoor concert from The Subdudes here tonight. I don't get outta the chair for many shows anymore, but I couldn't pass this one up, even if DLD wasn't impressed with 'em at the Jazz Fest earlier this yr. They're an old favorite f mine, and their latest release after a several-year hiatus, Miracle Mule, is as good as anything they've done.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

42 Regular
    I've been meaning to pick up Emmylou's Wrecking Ball disc for a long, long time now. I might just have to move it up to the top of the list now.

I've been playing Patty Griffin's Flaming Red for over a year now, and I really like it. It's a lot rockier than her other stuff. And man, does she have a voice or what?
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Wrecking Ball is quite nice, and while you're at it...

pick up Red Dirt Girl, which may be a bit better, although that's a matter of personal taste. And, yes, Patty Griffin can really belt, but I really appreciate that she keeps it understated most of the time instead of trying to be over-the-top like a "Star Search" or "American Idol" contestant. Many on this board have made similar comments about other vocalists, and it certainly applies to Patty. I got goosebumps and a tingling up my spine on a couple of her tunes that night.

Swish

Thread Information