Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Bank rates dropped twice (last week), your mortgage should have lowered by 40-50 basis pts depending which bank you deal with...
    Another rate cut expected on the 21st.

This was our 3rd go around, but my first variable rate mortgage. It's like Christmas every time the rate drops. I'm just hoping it's doesn't have the polar opposite effect when the rates do eventually climb...
    Yes, you're right. How did I miss that second drop? Our rate has dropped .5%. We're paying 3.5% now. You gotta love that! Although we're paying prime less 75bps, we always make our mortgage payment as though we were paying, at least, prime. That allows us a minimum of three increases before we see our payment actually change, and it lowers our principal faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie Canuck
    Any predictions...this is my first time voting in a Canadian federal election. I made the cut in 2006, but my wife and I were on our honeymoon and we botched that.
    I think that it'll be a close race between the Conservatives and the Liberals. Elizabeth May has done a great job for the Green Party and they'll get a few seats this time 'round, but it'll be NDP seats that they win. Either way, I expect another minority gov't so it doesn't really matter who wins as we'll likely be back at the polls in another year or two.

I think that the Conservatives will win. Although nobody has mentioned it, I don't think that a lot of Canadians are ready to forgive the Liberals for the Sponsorship Scandal. And I think that people are worried about the tax increases that will come with a Liberal win. This is, of course, just my prediction. I have no inside information.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I think that it'll be a close race between the Conservatives and the Liberals. Elizabeth May has done a great job for the Green Party and they'll get a few seats this time 'round, but it'll be NDP seats that they win. Either way, I expect another minority gov't so it doesn't really matter who wins as we'll likely be back at the polls in another year or two.

I think that the Conservatives will win. Although nobody has mentioned it, I don't think that a lot of Canadians are ready to forgive the Liberals for the Sponsorship Scandal. And I think that people are worried about the tax increases that will come with a Liberal win. This is, of course, just my prediction. I have no inside information.
    Thanks. I have observed that people seem to be incredibly tired and bored of politics in this election. A real sense of indifference the likes of which I've never seen for an election at any level. I wonder what voter turnout will be like?

I would tend to agree with your prediction, a Conservative minority. Given that this election was called because "parliament wasn't working" that outcome would pretty much equal status quo. To that extent, I'm not sure what it solves, except it will cost a billion dollars of taxpayer money at a time when that is not such a good idea. Politics aside, I hope that point isn't lost on the public, and I hope the next time a government passes fixed-date legislation, it means something.

Thanks. I have observed that people seem to be incredibly tired and bored of politics in this election. A real sense of indifference the likes of which I've never seen for an election at any level. I wonder what voter turnout will be like?

I would tend to agree with your prediction, a Conservative minority. Given that this election was called because "parliament wasn't working" that outcome would pretty much equal status quo. To that extent, I'm not sure what it solves, except it will cost a billion dollars of taxpayer money at a time when that is not such a good idea. Politics aside, I hope that point isn't lost on the public, and I hope the next time a government passes fixed-date legislation, it means something.
    I agree with you. People are tired of not having anyone to vote for that they feel they can trust. And, I think that people are tired of not feeling like their vote counts...which is the fallout of several years of minority governments. And I think that people agree with you that things will remain status quo, so what's the point. I expect that the Green Party will win a few seats this time around as a result of their higher profile (being allowed into the debate) and in protest. What we need are new party leaders all around. Some fresh faces and new ideas!

I agree with Harper's decision to call an election. At that time it looked like we might end up with a Conservative majority. But the world has changed in just six short weeks. The economy wasn't yet as unstable as it is today. And although I think that fixed date elections are a good idea, I don't agree with keeping that fixed date during a minority government. I don't think it's good for the country to have a government that has no power.

I'll be voting Conservative tonight, but honestly, I'd be happy with any majority win. We've had minority governments for too long and we need a strong government to move forward.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I agree with Harper's decision to call an election. At that time it looked like we might end up with a Conservative majority. But the world has changed in just six short weeks. The economy wasn't yet as unstable as it is today. And although I think that fixed date elections are a good idea, I don't agree with keeping that fixed date during a minority government. I don't think it's good for the country to have a government that has no power.

I'll be voting Conservative tonight, but honestly, I'd be happy with any majority win. We've had minority governments for too long and we need a strong government to move forward.
    Yep, a real sense of mistrust is right. I don't know how I'll vote. I have personally met and greatly dislike the Liberal and Conservative candidates in my county or whatever it's called. Arrogant asses. I don't really know much about the other parties platforms. What Canadians call conservative, I was calling Democrat a few years ago, that's kind of funny.

As for fixed dates - It would seem a party would still rule until it is defeated, even under fixed date law. You could engineer your own downfall via confidence votes on all motions, or rule as a majority if the opposition backed down. It should work but what do I know.

But I'll figure it out sometime today...

Yep, a real sense of mistrust is right. I don't know how I'll vote. I have personally met and greatly dislike the Liberal and Conservative candidates in my county or whatever it's called. Arrogant asses. I don't really know much about the other parties platforms. What Canadians call conservative, I was calling Democrat a few years ago, that's kind of funny.

As for fixed dates - It would seem a party would still rule until it is defeated, even under fixed date law. You could engineer your own downfall via confidence votes on all motions, or rule as a majority if the opposition backed down. It should work but what do I know.

But I'll figure it out sometime today...
    It's a political "riding". I actually like both our Liberal and Conservative candidates. I don't pay attention to the others.

Well, good luck figuring it out. It will be an interesting evening one way or the other. I don't think that I've ever seen an election with such a high per cent of "undecideds".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information