• 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
    Davey
    From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
    Led Zeppelin. What a band. What a streak of great albums. Some of these songs are really timeless with all their crazy good vs evil images. Satan's daughter and heeding the masters call. Hehehe, what's up with all that? Plant really was kind of psycho back in the day, huh? Just downloaded this today from the place I mentioned in skewiff's thread and remembering now why I love this song so much. Great sound on those guitars. Haven't listened to it in quite awhile since I only have it on LP and wound up playing it about 4 times in a row this morning. Anyone know the story of why they left this one off the Houses of the Holy LP? I guess one story was that it sounded too much like "Dancing Days", which it probably does. Of course, a lot of their songs sound kinda similar and that didn't stop them from putting them on the same album before this :)

Let me take you to the movies. Can I take you to the show
    Let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow

From the houses of the holy, we can watch the white doves go
    From the door comes Satan's daughter, and it only goes to show. You know.

There's an angel on my shoulder, In my hand a sword of gold
    Let me wander in your garden. And the seeds of love I'll sow. You know.

So the world is spinning faster. Are you dizzy when you're stoned
    Let the music be your master. Will you heed the master's call
    Oh... Satan and man.

Said there ain't no use in crying. Cause it will only, only drive you mad
    Does it hurt to hear them lying? Was this the only world you had? Oh-oh

So let me take you, take you to the movie. Can I take you, baby, to the show.
    Why don't you let me be yours ever truly. Can I make your garden grow
    You know.
  • 12-09-2004, 11:09 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Yeah, great riff on that track too. So many of their songs have been worn to death by radio overplay, it's no wonder that so many people are sick to death of them. But when you take into account all of the seriously good songs they put out in their heyday (s/t album through Phys. Graf.), it's hard to believe they recorded all that in less than 7 years (am I right on my dates/math here?). And there were still some powerful moments on the next two albums, plus the live one too.

An amazing track record.
  • 12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    So many of their songs have been worn to death by radio overplay, it's no wonder that so many people are sick to death of them.

Yeah, ain't it the truth. In some company I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I stilll love most of these old Zep songs (I said most, not all - nobody wants to hear Stairway again). Guess I just never listened to much classic rock radio. Always lived in places where there was a clear choice (not to be mistaken for a clear channel :)). A real classic string of albums, that's for sure.
  • 12-09-2004, 01:20 PM
    Troy
    Davey talking Led Zeppelin? Now I've heard everything! You gonna come discuss theology in the Neal Morse thread next?

I don't know that I've seen Led Zeppelin mentioned on this site in . . . well . . . forever. Certainly don't see the name in the tuesday lists much.

Never really been a LZ fan, even as a stoner teenager. Just never bought into the mystique. I always thought the blues thing crossed with The Lord of the Rings was just a dorky gimick. I think the individualist in me chose to enjoy more obscure artists.

There are a number of songs that I still think are great individual songs, LIKE Houses of the Holy (sure, great idea to put the title track of an album on . . . the next album. Brilliant.) and Kashmir (and a bunch of others), but mostly it feels like basic blues riffs with lots of prog bombast troweled on. Never appreciated that they stole most of their riffs and power from the old blues guys either.

I DO love Dread Zeppelin though, if that's any consolation.
  • 12-09-2004, 01:35 PM
    Dave_G
    I have always "liked" Led Zepplin, but never got so into them that I was nuts about them. I own all the albums and a few Plant solo titles but never went head over heels on them, for some reason.

I even bought the darn dvd, watched maybe 20% of it so far, just kind of doesn't really get me fired up.

I even bought the boxed set on lp for crying out loud.

I dunno, sometimes tho I dig a few toons by them a lot.

I like Planty and of course Bonham was the bomb, but soo was Keith Moon.

I dig the Who a lot more than LZ.

Dave
  • 12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy
    Davey talking Led Zeppelin? Now I've heard everything! You gonna come discuss theology in the Neal Morse thread next?

Hehehe, think I'll stay away from a thread bashing a guy for his spirituality. Some of you guys....oh, nevermind ;)

Yeah, not much to talk about when it comes to these old geezer classic rock bands. I do occasionally pop out a post about Bowie or Costello or Graham Parker or Mink DeVille or somebody along those lines. Or Gang of Four just recently. But usually more interesting to me to talk about newer stuff. I'll leave it to Jay and his gang of "everything sucks except what I like" buddies over at Rocky Road to dissect the history of classic rock...ad infinitum ;)

But my buddy Darius and me both know, Zep roolz!
  • 12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
    DariusNYC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    But my buddy Darius and me both know, Zep roolz!

The only tweak I would suggest to your last statement is: Zeppelin roolz DOOD. Reminds me of Rae -- wish he was still around. And he would always lap up that conceptual claptrap I used to dish out more frequently back in the day -- I mean, a communitarian theory of pop music??? Somehow justifying the existence of Lil' Flip? Gimme a break. ;)
  • 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM
    3-LockBox
    I love LZ!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    Plant really was kind of psycho back in the day, huh?

Yeah, he was. Still is actually. I remember watching the movie 'Song Remains the Same' and thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?"

Yeah, he dabbled in the quasi-spiritual, psuedo-mystic, psychobabble world, but luckily, he wrote and worked with some very talented guys, and it is the music that has always propelled Zep, not the words.

I have the first box set on CD as well as the two-CD addendum that came out a year or two later. I haven't listened in a while though....

Surprised that you'd like them; I'm still bracing for the punchline.
  • 12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
    Dave_G
    I don't believe Davey really likes Zep, he was just looking for an excuse to post, since he has to keep up his end of the deal, which is to post at least 10 times a day!

Dave
  • 12-10-2004, 10:37 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-LostBox
    Surprised that you'd like them; I'm still bracing for the punchline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Goose
    I don't believe Davey really likes Zep, he was just looking for an excuse to post, since he has to keep up his end of the deal, which is to post at least 10 times a day!

Cynical basturds! But I'll repeat myself at the risk of being crude, Zeppelin roolz DOOD! And I offer both thanks and apologies to Paul Simon and Darius for that last bit of nonsense.

BTW, my average is only 2.28 ppd :)
  • 12-10-2004, 09:43 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Do you get paid by the word?

Either that, or you're drunk.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.