• 06-26-2005, 06:59 AM
    Slosh
    The Hold Steady, Black Mountain, American Analog Set
    Bored and need some new tunes so I downloaded a bunch of stuff.

    The Hold Steady - Nice, solid, straight ahead rock but not much different from countless other bands out there so I'll take a pass.

    Black Mountain - Well, if you like 70's rock ala Heart and Led Zep this should interest you. Me, it's a direction I've been sick of for decades but I gotta say it does sound good for what it is trying to be.

    Wanted to try some Art Brut and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah but I've been in "que" all weekend so I guess it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

    Now, I have liked every American Analog Set song I've heard thus far but only have a freebie split EP from Insound. Any specific album recs?

    I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Bloc Party CD today. Originally I was gonna see if it was available on LP but even the mp3s (320 kbps) sound pretty good so I'll take the easy way out and grab the CD :)
  • 06-26-2005, 12:57 PM
    nobody
    I really liked the Hold Steady album. It seemed to have great energy to me and the lyrics kept me quite entertained. It's one of my favorite rock releases this year so far, actually.

    I wasn't too into the Black Mountain one, although I only listened to it once and pretty quickly at that. It just wasn't doing much for me. But, then again, I'm not much o a 70s rocker myself, so you may just have it nailed.

    I've been having mostly a jazz weekend myself, lots of Lou Donadson and stuff that blurs the line between blues, funk and jazz. Lou's The Natural Soul and Midnight Creeper have been real favorites of mine lately.

    lso been listening to a bunch of Shoegazer stuff. It's funny, I've liked a bunch of this stuff, but never really called 'em Shoegazer bands. But, I found a comp called a History of Shoegazing and its got a bunch of bands I like, so maybe I really do get into the genre. Catherine Wheel just always sounded like a rock band to me.

    OK...enough on and off topic stuff now...I'll shut up.
  • 06-26-2005, 01:17 PM
    Slosh
    Hold Steady sounded a lot like The Badlees to me (another band that isn't all that well know either). I only heard "Killer Parties" and "Sweet Payne". Both are solid songs but really didn't grab me in a way that makes me want to try more of their songs, let alone buy an album.

    I did end up picking up Bloc Party - Silent Alarm and it's great from start to finish, but I already knew that since I've heard pretty much every song for the last several months. Definitely in my top ten of the year and maybe even top five. And then I went kinda super f<a>ucking crazy picking up SFA's:
    Fuzzy Logic (with bonus CD)
    Mwng (also with bonus CD)
    and
    Out Spaced because I couldn't pass up an album with song titles like "The Man Don't Give A F<a>uck" and "Blerwtirhwng?" ;)
  • 06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nobody
    lso been listening to a bunch of Shoegazer stuff. It's funny, I've liked a bunch of this stuff, but never really called 'em Shoegazer bands. But, I found a comp called a History of Shoegazing and its got a bunch of bands I like, so maybe I really do get into the genre. Catherine Wheel just always sounded like a rock band to me.

    OK...enough on and off topic stuff now...I'll shut up.

    what's the tracklist of that sucker? I can't find any info on it, though I probably have most of the tracks on there, I'd still like to know what they think the History of Shoegazing is..

    -jar
  • 06-27-2005, 04:02 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slosh
    I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Bloc Party CD today. Originally I was gonna see if it was available on LP but even the mp3s (320 kbps) sound pretty good so I'll take the easy way out and grab the CD :)

    You do realize that it is available on vinyl, don't you? It is a nice gatefold double LP, with some pretty useless remixes on side 4. Still well worth it.
  • 06-27-2005, 05:12 AM
    nobody
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by -Jar-
    what's the tracklist of that sucker? I can't find any info on it, though I probably have most of the tracks on there, I'd still like to know what they think the History of Shoegazing is..

    -jar


    Here's the tracklist

    <b>A History of Shoegazing: The Lost Tracks 88-95</b>
    Cocteau Twins - Beatrix
    Jesus & Mary Chain - Blues from a Gun
    My Bloody Valentine - Soft as Snow
    A.R. Kane - A Love from Outer Space
    Telescopews - The Perfect Needle
    Kitchens of Distinction - Prize
    Pale Saints - You Tear the World in Two
    Ride - Chelsea Girl
    Belltower - Plasticman
    Lush - Monochrome
    Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic
    Chapterhouse - Mesmerise
    Curve - Horror Head
    Moose - Soon is Never Enough
    Slowdrive - Dagger
    Swirlies - Pancake
    The Verve - Star Sail
    Catherine Wheel - Judy Staring at the Sun
    Slowdrive - Rutti

    I found it online to download, but couldn't find anything else on it either. For all I know, it could be something someone just put together themselves. Either way, it is a nice compilation.
  • 06-27-2005, 05:49 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nobody
    Here's the tracklist

    <b>A History of Shoegazing: The Lost Tracks 88-95</b>
    Cocteau Twins - Beatrix
    Jesus & Mary Chain - Blues from a Gun
    My Bloody Valentine - Soft as Snow
    A.R. Kane - A Love from Outer Space
    Telescopews - The Perfect Needle
    Kitchens of Distinction - Prize
    Pale Saints - You Tear the World in Two
    Ride - Chelsea Girl
    Belltower - Plasticman
    Lush - Monochrome
    Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic
    Chapterhouse - Mesmerise
    Curve - Horror Head
    Moose - Soon is Never Enough
    Slowdrive - Dagger
    Swirlies - Pancake
    The Verve - Star Sail
    Catherine Wheel - Judy Staring at the Sun
    Slowdrive - Rutti

    I found it online to download, but couldn't find anything else on it either. For all I know, it could be something someone just put together themselves. Either way, it is a nice compilation.

    Yes, whoever did that knew what they were doing. I've been meaning to check out Belltower for years but just haven't gotten around to it. I have just about everything else.

    -jar
  • 06-27-2005, 12:48 PM
    Slosh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    You do realize that it is available on vinyl, don't you? It is a nice gatefold double LP, with some pretty useless remixes on side 4. Still well worth it.

    I assumed it was on vinyl but when I decided to go ahead and buy it I wanted it right then and there and the two local indies that sell vinyl aren't open on Sundays. :( I expected the CD to sound better than it does based on how decent the mp3s sounded. Still, the CD sounds okay and it saved me the trouble of making a CD-R copy.

    NP: SFA - Mwng