Hip-hop humpday?!

Printable View

• 08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
    newtrix1
    Hip-hop humpday?!
    OK, in response to Snowys pleae, let's see where this post goes :rolleyes: ...I was going to post this yesterday, but apathy set in and I didn't, so here ya' go a day late....

A local college radio station WXPN ran a new feature yesterday they called "hip-hop humpday". Being a member funded type station, WXPN doesn't have a specific music format and thus they play many different styles of music, but generally not much hip-hop. So this one DJ came up with the "Hip Hop Humpday" concept and spun a few tracks around noontime on Wednesday. First track he picked was a good <b>Public Enemy</b> number that I'd personally never heard before (something about slave trade), which was followed up by that <b>Outkast</b> "eargasm" song (which I don't know the real title of).

So what's all this BS got to do with us? Well. I figured I'd start a hip hop (aka rap, urban, etc.) thread. Like hip hop :cool: ? Then post a song, album or artist that you dig. Hate the genre :mad: ? Here's your chance to vent.

A few days ago I borrowed <b>Jurassic 5's</b> "Power in Numbers" CD. Not a classic disc by any means, but there's some really good material on it. I think my favorite track was "A Day at the Races", a funk tinged song featuring <b>Percy P & Big Daddy Kane</b>. First exposure I had to <b>Jurassic 5</b> was from a comp which Rae made for me a few years back.

Btw, a hip-hop gripe I've always wanted to get off my chest is the use of "skits" within albums :confused: . What's up with these often silly, non-value-added bits that proliferate hip-hop albums? Sure, some are either humorous or poignant, but the vast majority are not. Let's get over it my brothers!

OK, I'm done, have a nice day! :)
  • 08-18-2005, 08:40 AM
    Snowbunny
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newtrix1
    OK, in response to Snowys pleae, let's see where this post goes :rolleyes: ...I was going to post this yesterday, but apathy set in and I didn't, so here ya' go a day late....

So what's all this BS got to do with us? Well. I figured I'd start a hip hop (aka rap, urban, etc.) thread. Like hip hop :cool: ? Then post a song, album or artist that you dig. Hate the genre :mad: ? Here's your chance to vent.

Btw, a hip-hop gripe I've always wanted to get off my chest is the use of "skits" within albums :confused: . What's up with these often silly, non-value-added bits that proliferate hip-hop albums? Sure, some are either humorous or poignant, but the vast majority are not. Let's get over it my brothers!

OK, I'm done, have a nice day! :)

Hey Tricky! How are you? Have you been one of the silent majority around here? I'm as guilty as the rest for not posting so here goes...

I still do not have a clue what hip-hop actually is! But I think I like it. Is Outkaast hip-hop? I think Nobody may have sent me some on one of his comps. Is Gorillaz hip-hop? I've heard something on muchmusic by them that I like.

So thanks for responding to my pleae. :confused: Although I haven't done one of those since my first grade ballet class, I appreciate the effort.

Snowie

who thinks her hip-hop humping days are a thing of the past. :rolleyes:
  • 08-18-2005, 12:44 PM
    newtrix1
    Thanks for the pity click
    Guess the response here (or lack of) answers your previous question as to why people don't post much these days. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I still do not have a clue what hip-hop actually is! But I think I like it.

Maybe our pal Davey (masquerading as hip-hop historian Davey D ;)) can shed some light:
    http://www.rapnewsdirect.com/News/20...H.Rap.Defined/

Quote:

So thanks for responding to my pleae. :confused: Although I haven't done one of those since my first grade ballet class, I appreciate the effort.

Snowie

who thinks her hip-hop humping days are a thing of the past. :rolleyes:
    Hey, you're never too old for a little HHH!
  • 08-19-2005, 07:33 AM
    Snowbunny
    Yeah, it looks like this board (and most other message boards, for that matter) are becoming a thing of the past.

It seems now that the really active boards are the ones that are kept alive by personal relationships with other posters. I think we lost that here when a certain poster made us feel unsafe sharing personal stories.

And with the powerful google searchs it doesn't seem necessary to ask musical or lyrical questions and wait for a response.

It looks like www.obner.org is absorbing a large component of this group. Its pretty interesting reading, even if you don't post there.

Snowie
  • 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM
    newtrix1
    that Obner looks worthy of a peek.
    Quote:

It looks like www.obner.org is absorbing a large component of this group. Its pretty interesting reading, even if you don't post there.

Snowie

Wow, the've got a whole dedicated hip-hop section (with actual dialog to boot! ;) ). and no ads. Thanks for the link, maybe I'll see you over there?
  • 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
    Snowbunny
    Quote:

Wow, the've got a whole dedicated hip-hop section (with actual dialog to boot! ;) ). and no ads. Thanks for the link, maybe I'll see you over there?

Hey, they do have a hip-hop section! I've got the rock section bookmarked and I forgot there were other forums.

Maybe you will see me there... but will you know which poster is me??? :cool:
  • 08-19-2005, 10:25 AM
    nobody
    I still like some hip hop, but haven't heard too much so far this year that I've really latched onto. I do really like the Lyrics Born remix album: Same ****, Different Day. I also really dig the latest Common: Be. Waiting to hear the new Kanye. Curious as to what Public Enemy's up to, as I hear they've got something coming out.

If you're an OutKast fan, you gotta check out Aquemini. It's more straight up hip hop that Stankonia, but I think better...more cohesive at least. ATLiens in really good too.

I just think hip hop is all messed up weith the whole Gansta thing just getting so old and played out these days, while if anyone puts out an album thats about anything other than guns and hoes, they're looked at with suspision for not being "street" enough or some ridiculous crap. When the Ghetto Boys and the rest started the Gansta thing, it was a socially relevant movement with substantial merit. Now, its become just overcommercialized crap as far as I'm concerned. OK...I got it...you used to sell dope, carry a gun and like to sleep around when you're not drinking expensive booze in your million dollar mansion and driving your expensive car....I need to hear somerthing a little different now.

If anything else coming out's been good this year, I'd certainly be interested. I'd actually like to hear the new Black Eyed Peas. I know they're way too pop for many people these days, but I really though that while the lyrics were nothing special, Elephunk was musically a really original and interesting album last year.
  • 08-19-2005, 11:43 AM
    newtrix1
    Yeah, the lyrics are an issue with me too
    Not only from the "same ol' topic" aspect, but I've got kids who happen to like this music as well. Trying to find an album that has acceptable lyrics for an eleven year old ain't no easy task. Even safe stuff like Black Eyed Peas has at least one song per album which I'm not comfortable having my kids hear.

You'd think that some artist out there would break the mold, go against the prerequisite themes, release something respectable to the hip-hop community but cover new ground. If there is such an artist or album, I haven't come across it yet. I guess the producers are probably controlling the content too, as long as the same old stuff is selling, why risk changing the modus operandi?

Another thing that I think would sell well is a novelty type album (weird Al Yankovich style) that takes some famous rap/hip-hop tunes and reworks them with humorous lyrics. Can you imagine hearing some Public Enemy or Dr Dre songs re-released with comedic lyrics :p.
  • 08-19-2005, 11:51 AM
    BinFrog
    Just listen to Public Enemy's "Welcome To The Terrordome". Enough said.
  • 08-20-2005, 11:36 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Maybe you will see me there... but will you know which poster is me??? :cool:

OPA!?
  • 09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Reviving the dead...............
    Dont be afraid to listen to some hiphop. Whatever you do, just dont call them a "Band" just say group.

Here is a small list, I'll try to list as many as I can, but I got some tunes to play.

A Tribe Called Quest
    A.G.A.S.(Grouch and Eligh)
    Abstract Rude
    Aceyalone
    Aesop Rock
    Afu Ra
    Alkoholiks
    Apathy
    Army of the Pharaos :devil:
    Atomosphere
    Baba Zumbi(Zion I)
    Beat Junkies (Babu, Rhethmatic, etc.)
    Beat Minerz
    Beatnuts
    Big L (R.I.P. was probably the most under-rated MC)
    Black Star
    Blackalicious
    Blue Print (1988 was actually pretty good. Soul Position was flat out horrible)
    Brand Nubian
    Brother Ali
    Cage :devil:
    Canibus
    Cee-Lo
    CMA :12:
    Common(Common Sense isnt exactly my taste)
    Count Bass D
    CRay Waltz(I used to hate the album Ravipop with passion, but I'm starting to like it...)
    CunninLynguist
    Das Efx
    De La Soul
    Dead Prez
    Del the Funky Homosapian/Deltron 3030
    Demigodz
    Dialated Peoples
    DJ Honda (Vol II)
    DJ Premier
    DJ Shadow
    Erykah Badu
    Eric B. and Rakim
    Fugees
    Family Tree(All Natural) :12:
    Freestyle Fellowship
    Gang Star/Guru
    GhostFace Killah(Wu Tang)
    Giant Panda
    GraySkull
    GZA(Wu)
    Hieroglyphics
    High & Mighty
    Immortal Technique(Vol 1 &2) :12:
    J-Live
    J-Zon
    The Last Kind
    Jean Grae
    Jedi Mind Tricks :devil:
    Killar Priest (Wu)
    Kool G Rap
    K-Os
    Latyrx(Lateef & Lyrics Born)
    Lauryn Hill
    Lexicon
    Lifesavors
    Living Legend
    Louis Logic/DemiGodz(Sinamatic is good, rest sucks)
    Lyrist Lounge (1 &2)
    Macy Gray
    Main Flow
    MC Lyte
    MF Doom(if you like it then go for it, alot of hype if you ask me....):sleep:
    Mos Def
    Mr Lif
    Nas (Illmatic is great)
    Non-Phixon(Future is Now is good, everything else was kinda dissapointing)
    Ol' Dirty Bastard, Yes ODB, NO kidding
    Organized Konfusion
    Outerspace
    People Under the Stairs(get O.S.T. and tell me you dont like it) :12:
    Pete Rock
    The Pharcyde
    Pharoahe Monch
    Pigeon John
    The Procussions
    Q-Tip(A Sound Tribe called Quest)
    Raekwon(WU)
    Rakim
    The Roots
    RUN DMC
    RZA(Wu)
    Sabac Red(Non-Phixion)
    Saul Williams
    Schoolz of Thought
    Slick Rick
    Slum Village
    Sound Bombing (1 &2, rest are lame)
    Still Catchin' Wreck
    Talib Kweli
    Thes One (People Under the Stairs) :12:
    Ugly Ducklin
    Vast Aire
    Virtuoso
    Visionaries
    Wee Bee Foolish
    Wu Tang Clan
    Zion I :12:
    Z-Trip

This is my favorite site to purchase from. http://sandboxautomatic.com/
  • 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Found 2 MCs today.

Picked up "A2 What should've Been" by Storm the Unpredictable. While looking up I found this artist, J-Status.
    http://www.jlsc.com/winners/2005a/finalists.php

Any addition to this thread will be great. I mostly like underground/indie hiphop, but as you can see I also like mainstream too.
    -JRA
  • 09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    I listen to Pop Will Eat Itself, does that count?
  • 09-22-2006, 04:14 PM
    BradH
    Quote:

Like hip hop? Then post a song, album or artist that you dig.

Just last night I listened to A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory.

I still think their Midnight Marauders is the best hip-hop I've heard (not being an expert or anything).
  • 09-23-2006, 09:09 AM
    jrhymeammo
    PWEI definetly got their style. Not sure if that's hiphop, but I like it.

Midnight Marauders is probably my favorite by a Tribe. They are on tour right now including Q-tip. I was gonna go see their show, but my ex-girlfriend's gonna be their and we had some huge issues......

Picked up this wax last night out of a whim. "The sound of One Hand Clappin Version. 2.5" by Dobie.

http://www.bbemusic.com/images/small/dobiecd.jpg

This is album is really chill, perfect for this semi-gloomy weather. IT's half hiphop and half R&Bish. The song Consider had me Head-Nodding:12:
  • 09-23-2006, 10:46 AM
    basite
    talib kweli is good, outkast is good too, then there is GTA san andreas, which haves a real hip-hop 'radio channel' they play like 20 songs but they're all good ones,

then some other old-skool hip hop things (more funk actually): the dazz band, ronnie hudson, lakeside are good too, and for some unknown reason i actually listen alot to kelis these days.

hip hop is fine to me, just not for a whole day, i can listen to it for a few hours, but then it's time for jazz or rock or something in that genre
  • 09-23-2006, 11:12 AM
    jrhymeammo
    Almost forgot about this one.

Spook-"S.I.O.S.O.S. vol.1" is a really banger!!
    I think girls will really like this album.
  • 09-24-2006, 04:03 PM
    BradH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    ...then there is GTA san andreas, which haves a real hip-hop 'radio channel' they play like 20 songs but they're all good ones,

On the pc version it has one station that just plays mp3's from your hd. At least that's how GTA 3 was, I don't know about Vice City or San Andreas but I assume it's the same.
  • 09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
    On the pc version it has one station that just plays mp3's from your hd. At least that's how GTA 3 was, I don't know about Vice City or San Andreas but I assume it's the same.

in vice city and in san andreas there also is such a 'station' but i mean the real radio stations that were integrated in the game, but somehow i lost track of it
    *thinks*
    ah, i remember,
    the funk station was "bounce fm" and the hip hop channel was "radio los santos"
    i also suddenly remember another station "master sounds fm" where they play some (classic) funk and soul and stuff like that.
    i even found playlists, (although there are a few songs missing)

http://www.gtagaming.com/sanandreas/radio
  • 09-25-2006, 10:39 AM
    3-LockBox
    Quote:

Guess the response here (or lack of) answers your previous question as to why people don't post much these days. :rolleyes:

What?

I always find it interesting when the people who lament that their aren't many posters here anymore, are the people who rarely post threads here. I'm not trying to pick a fight here but there are as many posts per day here now as there has been the last few years. There as many posts here as there are other message boards. So I don't get it the whining.

Are you ready to close up shop cuz there weren't enough replies in a certain time frame? Hell, if replies were my motivation for posting, I'd have closed up shop years ago. I won't go into my motivations for posting, but if lack of replies or lack of board activity were enought to make me complain, I'd have a hard time justifying it; look at my post count...I've been around for 6 years and my post count is half what some poster's have. But so what? I have no interest in being a guru.

I see the same thing at my hobby boards...people are interested in what you're doing or they're not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowie
    Yeah, it looks like this board (and most other message boards, for that matter) are becoming a thing of the past.

It seems now that the really active boards are the ones that are kept alive by personal relationships with other posters. I think we lost that here when a certain poster made us feel unsafe sharing personal stories.

And with the powerful google searchs it doesn't seem necessary to ask musical or lyrical questions and wait for a response.

I do think a certain measure of novelty has worn off. For people our age, "hanging around" message boards is an indulgence, even if our job involves work with computers (mine doesn't).

I think there are personal relationships that exist on this board, depending how broad the interpretation of the phrase 'personal relationship'. And yer completely right, Google and AllMusicGuide have eliminated the need to wait for info.

But are you talking about Yech when you say, 'certain poster'? I don't think Yech has posted here in any guise in about two years. Yes, he was very caustic, basically a nusance and liked to make personal attacks on posters (some more than others) I don't think he garnered any support or respect in doing so. In fact, he usually incurred the disapproval of most of us and on a few occasions, our wrath. Is that why you don't post here anymore? I might be off-base but I think the last few posts I saw from you were to complain about how no one posts here anymore, or about how slow the site is, and not particularly about music. And I liked your take on music. I wished I could read more of it. You are the one that doesn't seem to be intersted in sharing it anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I eluded to above, we all have our motivations for posting. When I make a post about prog or metal, I suspect that only 1 or 2 people will respond. If I wanted more responses, I guess I could pick a genre that would garner more concensus, but I'd rather post about music I like. I can't imagine becoming more versed in genres like punk/indie rock, blues or rap, just for the sake of coming across as 'knowlegable'.

As far as hip hop humpday, I can count the number of hip hop tunes I like on one hand. But have I made a consertive effort to explore hip hop or rap? No. I'm good with 'been there, didn't get it". I doubt more exposure to it would bolster my appreciation of it. If that were the case, I'd like country music and modern pop...and I don't.
  • 09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
    nobody
    Gave a listen to Common's Be from last year. I know lots didn't care for it, but I like that old soul vibe that carries it through. I personally liked it lots better than kanye's record last year.

Anybody hear the new Roots yet? Gonna have to grab that one soon myself.
  • 09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody
    Gave a listen to Common's Be from last year. I know lots didn't care for it, but I like that old soul vibe that carries it through. I personally liked it lots better than kanye's record last year.

I thought that album was pretty good overall except for one track with Guru. I was really hoping to hear him on that track, but he was just there on a hook. I've never been a fan of Kanye, but him as a producer I enjoy his simple sound from time to time.
    I was most disspointed with Electric Circus. But I did enojoy that tour with Gangstarr, Kweli and Blackalicious.
  • 12-09-2006, 12:50 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Picked up ALOT from Tower Recrods. Every hiphop CDs for $2 each, it'll be stupid not to buy some. Great titles too. They have alot of crap and underground cuz no one wants them..

I've only listened to 3 albums so far, and found all of them to be good.

L.I.F.E. Long - Cuts and Collabos pt 2.

features alot of great mcees. What a sleeper...

Cesar Comanche - Squirrel and the Aces
    this album is real chill, and has that vibe I love. This made it into my top5 hh purchase for the year.

Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer

It's always nice to hear female MC playin mics. Not my favorite B-Girl by any meants, but I kept it bumping all the same thru.

Peace,
  • 12-09-2006, 01:21 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody

Have you grabbed it yet? My DJ friend said it was pretty good. I really need to go pickup another copy of Illadelphia Halflife... it freakin skips on some songs.

JRA
  • 12-10-2006, 07:38 AM
    nobody
    Grab it. My favorite hip hop album this year...although there'a whole mess of different kinds of stuff on there. Much more daring thatn Tipping Point.