Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Hey! Someone forgot to start the Tuesday thread!!!

WTF?

Anyway, finally got over my Rachel's fixation, moved on.

Now listening to Yo La Tengo -- not really digging it. Mostly too country. I mean, this is probably exactly what I need, so I'll keep it, but I won't be getting anything else by them, I don't think.

Also really enjoying the latest from Ivy, In The Clear -- belongs in that alterna-pop-chanteuse genre -- you know, Bif Naked, Jem, Dido, Lennon, et al.

Really enjoying Mars Volta a lot lately.

And, of course Matt Elliott/Third Eye Foundation. Like nothing else on the planet.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Three great albums which see a lot of play in my car at the moment on the way to work are
    Kaiser Chiefs, Employment
    British Sea Power, Open Season, getting a bit of stick for it’s refined sound
    Bloc Party, Silent Alarm, probably my favourite of the year so far

Nouvelle Vague, Nouvelle Vague a French group who do cover versions of 80s punk and new wave in a folky café bossa nova style. Features versions of Love Will Tear us Apart, Making Plans for Nigel, Guns of Brixton, Teenage Kicks etc it sounds weird but every track works so well. One track Melt With You features on a current T Mobile phone advert I seem to remember they’ve used some pretty stylish tunes in the past from people like Royksopp and Manitoba.

Pinback, Blue Screen Life, I like this just as much as Summer in Abba but like I said before I don’t think I’ll be buying anymore Pinback they need to progress their sound for me to invest anymore in them.

Blue Merle, Burning in the Sun, Coldplay soundalikes, lightweight but ok.

Joanna Newsom, Milk Eyed Mender, wacky vocals but it works for me.

Seal, 2 disc best of Compilation, the first disc features the hits and the second features most of the same hits but acoustic versions what a fantastic soulful voice which really comes through on the acoustic set.

On the horizon Ryan Adams has a new double album due next week in the UK the first of 3 releases this year. The enfant terrible generally seems to get up most peoples noses these days but I’ll stick by him, though by the sound of it he needs to go for quality rather than quantity.

Eels have a new double album out too, greatly under appreciated band in my opinion I’ll be looking out for that one

Cheers
    Mike

Sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Three great albums...out for that one

Cheers
    Mike
    ...you'd like this Long-View disc. It's mellow, but it's similar to a few of the bands you mentioned. They remind me a bit of Ride mixed with Coldplay. AllMusic sez: "With Mercury, U.K. rock outfit Long-View serves up an impressive debut album that owes as much to Coldplay as it does to Catherine Wheel. Similarities to the latter undoubtedly explain Matt Pinfield's fascination, as the former WHTG radio host and MTV talent turned Columbia Records A&R guy inked the band to a Stateside deal. Launched with "Further," a swooning, melodic anthem that is as delightful as it is accessible, and boasting U2-like lyrics ("God's light will save us"), Mercury rarely poisons as it gives us beautiful, Bunnymen-styled ballads like "Can't Explain," gorgeous shoegazer breezes like "Electricity" and "I Would" and roaring, energetic rockers like the hook-injected "When You Sleep." While singer/brainchild Rob McVey most often recalls Rob Dickinson of the aforementioned Catherine Wheel — which isn't a bad thing at all — his resonant pipes go even further on "In a Dream," a slumbering, ethereal melody. And damn if the pop-touched spitfire "Nowhere" doesn't re-open the capsule shut by the demise of Kitchens of Distinction."

fp

Vic Chesnutt/ Ghetto Bells- an excellent new release from Athens, Georgia's craziest paraplegic.

Over The Rhine/ Drunkard's Prayer- I like it, but I think I'm done with them. The annoying tendency I noticed on Ohio to take a line from the chorus of a song and repeat it infinitely continues on this new one. And the born-again stuff is coming on a bit strong for me.

Damon & Naomi/ The Earth Is Blue- heavy rotation still.

Lots of old twangy vinyl like the Ernest Tubb Story and the Louvin Brothers.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

nothing too exciting this week...

Jethro Tull - Original Masters
    Eric Clapton - From the Cradle
    Mudhoney - My Brother the Cow
    Kansas - Masque, Leftoverture
    Queen - News of the World (never noticed before that Freddie Mercury is credited with the piano on this album, by my uneducated standard, he's a pretty decent pianist)
    White Stripes - De Stijl

comps:
    New Noise - EMI sampler no.9
    Like Jimi - me

I'll just list a couple...

MIA - Arular
    Original, fun, upbeat...all this and more. A mic of styles and genres that sounds totally fresh. It's a grab bag of electro-grime-hip/hop-funk-world music brought together into an entertaining concotion. I can't say everyone on here will like this one, but if you're into this sort of thing, it's stellar.

Cody ChetnuTT - Headphone Masterpiece
    Listened to this on headphones before sleeping last night. I continue to be impressed with this 2001 disc that mixes indie rock with r&b, hip hop and electronic beats. Production is Lo fi, but actually serves the music in this case, with echoed voices coming from different places, distorted bass lines rumbling away, adding to the ramshackle shack effect, when suddenyl an acoustic guitar will bleed through clear as a bell. It features the original version of The Seed, made into a hit by the Roots with Cody fronting for them, and much more. It hasn't aged a day and still sound unique and ahead of its time.

Lee Perry - The Ultimate Collection
    Can you encapsulate Lee Perry on a single disc collection? Of course not, but this disc features an incredible selection of tracks, from the Wailers doing Small Axe, to Junior Murvin's Police & Thieves, to a couple tracks by the Congos, the Perry's Own Roast Fish & Cornbread and more, all brought together by Perry's distinctive production. If you just want to get a taste of Lee Perry, this release on Hipo Records is actually a great place to start.

Also listened to a few of my comps, including my Punk Rock comp, and Rockin' Good Time, as well as some old fun records like Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell and Cheap Trick at Budokan. Oh yeah, and I listened to De Stijl
    too. It's still my favorite White Stripes record to just put on and play through, even though I still do like their more recent ones. That's enough for a late entry now.

dis-n-dat

New Purchases :
    After our discussion of Zappa for a newbie, crossed two off the wishlist:
    Frank Zappa 'The Grand Wazoo' - like hot rats, not as consistant tho.
    Frank Zappa 'One size fits all' - the third of the Roxy albums, hmmmm is this better than overnite sensation? Not to these ears.
    Happy the Man 'The muse awakens' the first album without Kit Watkins.
    DiMiola/Clarke/Ponty 'The rite of strings'
    Green Day 'American Idiot'
    Bush 'Sixteen Stone' -good tunes for gym workout

Forum Regular
    Helmet - "Betty" and "Aftertaste" these guys f'ing rock, two great albums.

IQ - "Subterranea" and "The Seventh House" - pretty good stuff so far, these guys are new to me but i'm diggin them.

Clutch - "Pure Rock Fury" and "Elephant Riders" love these guys, probably one of the best live bands i've seen.

Katatonia - "Viva Emptiness" and "The Black Sessions" box set. Just got into these guys too, cant get Viva out of my cd player!!!! liking the box set too, but Viva takes the cake so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Helmet - "Betty" and "Aftertaste" these guys f'ing rock, two great albums.
    It's kind of weird to think back to when BETTY came out and how negative we (by "we" I mean the noise rock scene) all reacted to it. I remember I wrote a review just slamming the album. Going back now, I do like it a lot more and I think the more experimental tracks were a cool idea, but unfortunately for them, it was the wrong idea at the wrong time. They really needed to put out another MEANTIME to solidify their base before they went all experimental with BETTY. It got so that Page stopped doing interviews the reaction was so negative.. I feel kind of bad that I was a part of it, but not so bad because I was far from the only one. AFTERTASTE was a nice return to their earlier sound, and I gave it a very postive review, but I don't think the songs were quite as memorable. Some of the riffs they came up with on the first two albums are just so classic to my ears. I mean, how many times has the riff to "In the Meantime" been copied by lame nu-metal hacks?

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular
    I hear ya regarding the nu-metal hacks!!! they cant write an original riff if their 15 minutes of fame depended on it..

Do you like the new Helmet disc? i think its a solid disc all around, maybe a few tunes i could do without, but just glad to hear soemthing new from them. They were great live with the updated band, which included Frank Bello, Chris Traynor, and John Tempesta. Page sounded great.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Post Some'a this, some'a that.

[grumble grumble, goddamn site runs so slow]

Stuff:

Soul Coughing: Ruby Vroom
    I've heard some Soul Coughing songs prior to this album ("Super Bon-Bon" and "Circles" being the two that stick out most in my head) and dug them immensely, so I'm surprised I haven't pulled the trigger on one of their proper albums until now. For the most part, this album is great, think Beck but without sucking (sorry Jay ; P). Jazzy, mostly drum 'n' bass-driven (they use an upright bass which sounds absolutely sweet), sampling, spoken-word/beat poetry-type stuff delivered by Mark Doughty. Very creative, smart-alecky, and weird. Mostly good, a couple of duffs in the second half. This is a must-buy, however, for one song alone--"Screenwriter Blues." It's just genius, moody horn and piano samples overlaid over an awesome driving groove and lyrics like "It's 5 AM, and you are listening to Los Angeles." Damn.

Bad Brains: ROIR
    Sex Pistols: Nevermind The Bollocks..
    The Damned: Damned Damned Damned
    The Allman Brothers: Beginnings
    Devin Townsend: Ocean Machine
    Frank Zappa: Hot Rats
    Kraftwerk: Autobahn
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
    This is still in heavy rotation, to the exclusion of most everything else.

Frank Black - Teenager of the Year

Portishead - Dummy
    Massive Attack - Protection
    I put both of these on to have some "softer" sounds on during the weekend.

I also listened to MIA, Kasabian, Go-Betweens, and Celibate Rifles.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Pinback, Blue Screen Life, I like this just as much as Summer in Abbadon but like I said before I don't think I'll be buying anymore Pinback they need to progress their sound for me to invest anymore in them.
    They did. . . well kinda. If you don't have The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico that should be your next purchase. One of my faves from a few years ago and you can definitely hear that Pinback connection. So good in fact I think I'll throw it on the old turntable right this very second
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

no accident

I didn't start the Tuesday thread on purpose
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

it'a ALL about M.I.A. for me

M.I.A. - "Arular" (album)

Like Nobody... I'm ALL ABOUT M.I.A. this week.

Same thing happened as with Beck.... upon hearing the 3rd great track on the radio... I wrote to the DJ to ask if she recommended the entire album. She said the WHOLE thing is great and if I like the 3 tracks they are playing I will love it. It was a nice day so I trekked over to a tiny record store on Ave A and bought "Arular". The DJ wasn't lying. As much as I like the new Beck cd.... I took it out and am listening to M.I.A. now.

As Nobody said... this music isn't for everyone. I'll bet a few of you will be asking me what the heck I'm smokin. That's cool. Even the station has been getting a lot of complaints about it as well as requests. It's one of those things that urges people to sound off about. It's not just going to go unnoticed, people either love it or it REALLY grates on their nerves. I'm in the former category, by far. But it's kinda 'out there' and not like anything I've heard before. Rap by an Indian girl with a British accent.
    I think some people don't like The Streets either. I would say that if you don't like the Streets or if you really hate rap... steer clear of M.I.A.
    I'm not super into rap but I LOVED the Streets and I REALLY LOVE M.I.A.
    To me, she's BRILLIANT!

not much new...

Jamie Collum - Twentysomething

Railroad Earth - Blackbear Sessions

Beth Orton - Concrete Sky

and lots of bluegrass stuff....

Tug

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...you'd like this Long-View disc. It's mellow, but it's similar to a few of the bands you mentioned. fp
    Thanks for the word Finchy I'll check them out

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    They did. . . well kinda. If you don't have The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico that should be your next purchase. One of my faves from a few years ago and you can definitely hear that Pinback connection. So good in fact I think I'll throw it on the old turntable right this very second
    Ah I didn't realise there was a connection with BHP and I do like them from the tracks I've heard on comps. They used to be on my wishlist ages ago but got bumped time to re-visit them methinks

Cheers
    Mike

British Sea Power, Open Season, getting a bit of stick for it’s refined sound
    Do you agree with the criticism? Must admit I was disapointed at first, but my appreciation for it has grown after more exposure. I wrote on another forum that to me they are a '00s version of Echo & the Bunnymen, they just came out with their "Ocean Rain" a couple of albums ahead of schedule.

Mike Bloc Party, Silent Alarm, probably my favourite of the year so far
    Mine too, but then I only have it and the BSP :-)
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Do you agree with the criticism? Must admit I was disapointed at first, but my appreciation for it has grown after more exposure. I wrote on another forum that to me they are a '00s version of Echo & the Bunnymen, they just came out with their "Ocean Rain" a couple of albums ahead of schedule.
    No not really the more I play it the more I like it, like I said it's not been out of my car for weeks now. The funny thing is I wasn't a big fan of the debut it was ok but generally passed me by but this was an instant hit, they sound like a band that's come of age. Even the vocals, which have come in for a bit of stick, I like. I hear all sorts of familiar sounds like Echo and the B's, Psychedelic Furs even The Kinks.

But it is a more radio friendly sound and maybe that's just me I tend to like things less complicated these days. For instance I really like the latest one from Mercury Rev and that's had a luke warm response from dedicated fans. I remember asking the question on this board a year or two ago 'why don't I like Mercury Rev' - well now I do.

Bloc Party is definitely my favourite so far I love that tight rhythm sound and I think you would like the Kaiser Chiefs drop me a pm if you would like to hear them and I'll whizz you a copy over the pond.

Cheers
    Mike

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I didn't start the Tuesday thread on purpose
    Reminds me of the punchline to that joke:

Bureaucrat: So it was an accident with the wildlife?
    Hillbilly: Accident?!?!? That was no accident!!! Dang varmint bit me on purpose!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

AR Newbie Registered Member

more like crap party!

im really trying to figure out why everyone is up Bloc Party's rear these days because i just cant hear it. maybe it will grow on me but to me it is all hype right now. maybe someone is playing a race card or something because it just sounds like everything else. and not good at that.
    currently im listening to:
    the kaiser chiefs
    the new eels double album (fantastic)
    josh rouse
    the cardigans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^spam

Yes...Waiter...I'l have the spam spam, spam and spam.

spam spam spam spam
    spam spam spam spam
    spam spam spam spam

When us old timers do the thread revival thing, its cuz we're re-living fun times with our buds - when you spammers and trolls do it...its because you have teeny genitalia.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I wrote on another forum that to me they are a '00s version of Echo & the Bunnymen, they just came out with their "Ocean Rain" a couple of albums ahead of schedule.
    Interesting. I had the exact same thoughts three years later upon listening to the latest one. Check out this quirky live vid. I'm waiting for Swishy to come around and say he was at the gig, picked up a leaf and got leaf autographs when he was hanging out with the band.

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Interesting. I had the exact same thoughts three years later upon listening to the latest one. Check out this quirky live vid. I'm waiting for Swishy to come around and say he was at the gig, picked up a leaf and got leaf autographs when he was hanging out with the band.

Though they don't have that epic Ian McCulloch vocal sound - I really do keep hearing Bunnymen, even more so now with album 3...which has a chace to supplant their first as my favorite BSP album. I have tickets to see them on May 15th and I'm really looking forward to it - everything I've heard, read, seen tells me that they put on a quirky and energetic show.

I can't recall if Swish has weighed in on BSP - but being the HUGE Bunnymen fan that he is (as am I) I expect he'd really like them.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information