Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hey, speaking of my silly comps, does anyone have a copy of my old Twilight comp they'd be willing to send me?
    Yeah, I've still got that but I don't have the Sunnyvale addy.

bdkhncck (at) flash.net

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Yeah, I've still got that but I don't have the Sunnyvale addy.

bdkhncck (at) flash.net
    Hey, that's very kind of you Brad. Long time, no talk. Some nice looking covers you've been occasionally posting for your boots. Very cool work. I'll email you my address and try to think of something I can send back your way to make ya smile and dance

Hey, speaking of covers, did anyone notice that the Yo La Tengo collection I posted about a few days ago pays tribute to the Beatles second album, which has also been modified for use on some of the Beatles boots as well? Hehehe, missed that when I first saw it although I knew it looked very familiar.....

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Bunch of Rachel's.

New Third Eye Foundation and Matt Elliott.

Davey's comp -- very nice, BTW. Not a single skipper in the bunch, although you stole my choice from that Nick Cave disk, now I have to come up with another one. Love that Woven Hand, is it all like that (BHP/Calexico-ish)?

Nick Cave rarities 3-CD set.

Lots of QOTSA and EoDM.

Killing Joke -- Daggam! I forgot how much this album pumps my blood.

Lots of SubArachnoid Space -- these people are absolutely awesome live, definitely right up my space rock alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav_2000
    The UK 7" single had an instrumental version of Waiting for a Train on the B side. The 12" single also had an extended version of the song as well.
    Wow! So you've really only heard the one song (albeit, three different versions of it).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Rage Against the Machine S/T

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

Deftones - White Pony
    Deftones - Deftones

Opeth - Blackwater Park

British Sea Power - The Decline Of...

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

my Dismemberment Plan vs. Built to Spill comp.

Davey's Monkey Bones comp.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Love that Woven Hand, is it all like that (BHP/Calexico-ish)?
    Alt-country goth. Yeah, that Woven Hand album is pretty much all like that, although that song does tend to stand out because of the great refrain. It's also very similar to his "main" gig as leader of 16 Horsepower. Many of us raved about their 2002 album Folklore. Great album. David Eugene Edwards is the main guy and he does slow it down and open up the space a bit for the Woven Hand sound, and also lets his religious beliefs make a stronger lyrical showing, although 16 Horsepower covers many of the same themes of sin and redemption. I think both bands are right there alongside Nick Cave and Mark Lanegan and the rest of the pillars in the field, including the Black Heart Procession you mention. Calexico only dabbles in this goth stuff a little, but I wish they would do it more. Might be my favorite type of music for the last few years. Both of my last two comps explored some of that same territory that I first talked about around here when doing my Twilight comp, that is the southern gothic sound of Nick Cave, with a nod to Joy Division and/or Bauhaus or some other dark sound, although on that new comp you got I did try to inject more darkness as an underlying theme and get back to some of that Twilight sound. One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp

Lots of this stuff is only available over in Europe where they love the sound and have taken to calling it the New Americana. My buddy tentoze explored a lot of this territory as well, and is actually the one that first turned me on to the Woven Hand debut. I just plant the seeds, ya know. Then I come back later and harvest the fruit

Alt-country goth...16 Horsepower...Folklore. Great album....with a nod to Joy Division and/or Bauhaus or some other dark sound
    Hehehe, just checked at AMG and they seemed to have coined a new expression to describe Folklore. Bauhaus-esque

Review by Bradley Torreano
    Returning after a short leave of absence from the music industry, 16 Horsepower returns with a vengeance on Folklore. Channeling the desperation and depression of the Southern gothic movement better than most artists, they have reached a point where their music has evolved into a series of edgy Western soundscapes. This is fine, as they take traditional country instruments and utilize them to craft Bauhaus-esque doom anthems....

Hehehe, just checked at AMG and they seemed to have coined a new expression to describe Folklore. Bauhaus-esque
    They sound just like a foreboding Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, but hey, they're Christian
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp
    Looking forward to it. I've actually already made a first attempt: What I Was Listening To... Already thinking about a volume two.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

This is the Tuesday thread? Isn't this the same one from last week? Okay, whatever. Sweet Apple Pie--Between The Lines, more than anything in the past week. Still listening to Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out; and I have a copy of the rec she made with Bill Frisell that Davey's posted about, but I just got a chance to throw it on...and hear about 10 seconds of it. Sounded good, though. Checked out both Keren Ann albums I have--Nolita & something else I can't remember the title of. Both of which I like better than I thought I would based on my first impression of her. Uh, got the Beck album when it came out yesterday, the deluxe edition with the DVD & bonus tracks. I think there's still a track or two that I've been listening to for a couple of months since it was leaked that isn't here, but I haven't spent the time to actually find out. Just got a batch of new stuff, none of which I've had a chance to look at, let alone listen to. Noticed a couple of things that I'm very interested in checking out--the Paul Westerberg best-of; a package with two reissues of David Bowie live albums from the 1970s, both 2-CD packages; a Miles Davis collection from the mid & late 50s that I saw in a Starbucks; and some assorted jazz & world music--King Sunny Ade, Sonny Stitt, Marilyn McPartland, etc etc. Oh, and the Rick Springfield best-of--characterized by an associate as being 'the 2-CD edition of his greatest hit.'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also some stuff I've seen discussed here, or at least I think I have--Kaiser Chiefs, the Kills, Solomon Burke, and then something that came highly recommended--Crooked Fingers. Oh, yeah, then there were a couple of things I've had that I haven't been able to listen to--new Wonder Stuff, Joy Zipper, and both Bright Eyes albums, of which I much prefer the acoustic/country/folky one. Can't bring myself to break the seal on this Motley Crue 2-CD best-of, much as I'd like to, so I'll content myself with a listen, perhaps, to the Nashville Star reality show soundtrack, or...perhaps the new Engelbert Humperdinck album? Actually I'm sure the Nashville Star is much better. But then there's Tom Wopat (from the Dukes Of Hazzard, yup) singing Harold Arlen. That one or the Humperdinck? There's a poll for ya, Rick.

As if all this weren't enough Brad just sent me like 200 CDs...just kidding...it was quite a care package. Then I come home tonight--wheeling, on a luggage cart, I swear, something like 200 CDs, and what's waiting for me but a package from Finch Platte with like all these CDs. Well, have I got it in for you, pal...as soon as I can. And all I can say is...Brown Ploppy awaits! You've been warned.

I don't like others.

. One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp
    Had I not given up The Sporting Life, I might take that as a challenge, name it The Black Hole, maybe...........

Lots of this stuff is only available over in Europe where they love the sound and have taken to calling it the New Americana. My buddy tentoze explored a lot of this territory as well, and is actually the one that first turned me on to the Woven Hand debut. I just plant the seeds, ya know. Then I come back later and harvest the fruit
    The latest WH is excellento also, in case you haven't heard it............
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information