Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Hey it's Tuesday, what you listening to?

A few from me mainly from the UK indie pop scene

The Bravery, Bravery
    Kaiser Chiefs, Employment
    Bloc Party, Silent Alarm, still enjoying this one a lot
    The Doves, Some Cities, starting to grow on me now
    Pinback, Summer in Abbadon I must get a copy of Blue Screen Life somebody mentioned the other day I really enjoy their sounds
    Arcade Fire, Funeral, a bit slow on the uptake with this one some people have been talking about it for ages now
    Interpol, Antics
    Embrace, Out of Nothing
    Feeder, forgotten what it's called but it's good!
    Athlete, Tourist
    Micah P Hinson, Gospel of Progress, mellow acoustic stuff with some solid vocals which I think a few people round here would like

Comps
    Rip You Another One, a fine comp by Finch
    Ray Charles Collection
    Clash - Collection

On another note took my son to see the latest animated film Robots, a big disappointment really, some clever ideas at times but just didn’t hang together for me.

Cheers
    Mike

Nothing...it's too early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Pinback, Summer in Abbadon I must get a copy of Blue Screen Life somebody mentioned the other day I really enjoy their sounds Cheers
    Mike
    Oh, you mean what am I listening to lately. In that case, I can name a bunch I suppose, but I think I really need to get Blue Screen Life too. Slosh is usually a decent barometer for me, even though he despises Interpol. S.I.A. still gets regular spins from me, so if B.S.L. is similar, I think I'll like it just fine. Deepdiscountcd.com doesn't have it listed, so I'll need to look elsewhere I suppose.

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour. Pulled this out after hearing his new "the Mysterious Production of Eggs" a few times. Still like this one better, but we'll see!

Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers - The Lonesome Sea. I'm not as high on this as some of the others, but it's very good and growing on me.

Jann Arden - S/T. Just got this and I cant say I'm impressed after one listen

Okkervil River - Sleep and Wake-Up Songs. Nice EP. Really

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (remastered). This thing is two discs with all the originals plus ton of other tunes from various EPs on Disc 1, 24 tracks in all, then 25 unreleased tracks on Disc 2. A must for Pavement fans.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Walt Mink - El Producto

Tonio K - Life in the Foodchain. I had to dig this out after someone mentioned it in a post a couple weeks ago.

Grandaddy - Sophtware Slump

Too many more to think about this early in the AM, so I'm calling it quits.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

weird week

The only modern music I have been listening to is a few prog comps from Demetrio.

Other than that, I recently bought a 10-CD box set of Rachmaninoff piano works.
    It is simply awesome stuff..........a neoclassical lifetime with an ear for the continuation of the romantic works.

A cool Russian dude !

Forum Regular

new C.O.C.

the new Corrosion of Conformity (it rocks!!)
    Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze

Botch - WE ARE THE ROMANS (damn scary stuff)

Meshuggah - NOTHING (damn knotty stuff, there's this kind of wood called Iron Wood. At least that's what my dad called it.. you'd whack your maul into it and it would just sink. You'd need like 4 wedges just to get stump-sized piece apart. The grain just twists on itself and really makes it difficult split, pretty soon you just get out the chain saw and slice it up like bread.. well, Meshuggah makes me think of Iron Wood)

Autolux - FUTURE PERFECT (the more I listen, the less obvious the Sonic Youthisms are becoming.. similar thing happened with ..Trail of the Dead.. it took me a while before I started to hear what THEY were doing as opposed to who they sounded like)

Rage Against the Machine - S/T (damn, ya know, this album rocks balls.. yea, the singer is still somewhat annoying, but the music is way more interesting that I ever noticed before, oh yea, and it rocks.)

Davey's SHAKE THEM MONKEY BONES - Daveys outdone himself here.. that string of songs from Mark Lanegan through The National is just awesome.. all these really depressed sounding dudes with kinda low voices. I swear that guy from the Tintersticks reminds me of someone.. I loved that song though, his voice and the music totally draw you in.. and The National.. I'm going to have to seek out some music by them. The Flaming Stars wasn't bad either..
    I can definately hear the influence of Chris Goss on those MarK Lanegan Band tracks, they almost sound like bastard cousins of Masters of Reality's more recent work.

Lockgroove is cool, they almost sound like an alternate universe Folk Implosion.

The Mercury Rev track sounded nice, but they almost sound like a different band now. I know bands change, but there's almost nothing in common between what they're doing now vs. what they were doing 10 years ago. That's ok I guess, they can do what they want. It's just kind of weird. Anyhoo, thanks Davey via Newtrix..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Forum Regular
    Beethoven, Emperor Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 5). Vladimir Horowitz, piano; Fritz Reiner, RCA Symphony Orchestra (whoever that may have been). RCA LP VICS-1636(e). I think the (e) refers to the "Stereo Effect Reprocessed from Monophonic." The recording was perhaps done as late as 1956, I'm not sure. We had this recording at home and I have always liked it. The piano playing is quite stunning, of course, showing off both Horowitz's panache and humour with the virtuosic parts and his wonderfully lyricism in the slow parts--every note is interesting.

Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 5 and 6 (Pastoral). Bela Drahos, Nicholas Esterhazy Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554061. This is borrowed from the library. The performance itself is quite good, as is the recording. The Orchestra seems relatively small and I do prefer more strings for a lighter balance. Nevertheless, a worthwhile recording.

John Charles Thomas, baritone, "An American Classic." Nimbus Prima Voce NI 7838. Born 1891, died 1960. Most of you probably never heard of him, but some of us consider him to have had one of the Great Voices of the 20th Century." He sang some at the Metropolitan Opera but seems mostly to have done recitals and he was often heard on the radio. He was a real performer, capable of great expression, wit and comedy, and of course, his diction was flawless. He could sing anything from the kid's songs to the tenderest ballad to the most stentorian dramatic songs.

Haydn, String Quartets, Op. 51, nos. 1-9 (The Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ); String Quartet, Op. 103. Kodaly Qt. Naxos 8.550346. This is also borrowed from the library--well, I gave it to them. It sounds excellent on my new speakers.

Haydn, Symphonies 6-8 ( Le Matin, Le Mid, Le Soir - Morning, Noon, and Evening). Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550722.

Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 22 (The Philosopher), 29, and 60 (Il Distratto). Ward, NCO. Naxos 8.550724. As with everything Ward and the NCO do, this is superb.

Debussy, Quartet in g; Ravel, Quartet in F. Cleveland Qt. Telarc CD-80111.

Debussy, Ravel, Quartets. Quartetto Italiano. Philips420 894-2.

Berwald, Septet, on Naxos 8.553714.

Diana Krall, Live in Paris. This is probably the best recording of her voice, miked closely enough to hear the saliva in her throat. Oh yeah--the performances are excellent, too.

Intermezzo. Various composers and orchestras. Naxos 8.554703.

Listen, Learn and Grow, music to stimulate and inspire young minds, newborn through preschool. Naxos 8.554569C. Well, we like it, too.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Tried Diana Krall. Nice voice but her music is just to slllllllllllllllow for me. Makes me nap.
    Look & Listen

aural assortment

Nice Beaver 'On dry land' -nice guitar work, a keeper
    Putannmayo 'Best of Reggae' -spring is in the air, felt like some irie vibrations.
    Djam Karet 'The Devouring' -had high hopes for this after being wowed by 'night for baku'- no sale, this one just doesn't connect, somethings missing.
    Seven Reizh 'Strinkadenn Ys' -Celticy, Floydian, quality disc, great female vox, in Breton language.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I like Diana Krall, but she seems to have a hit/miss pattern in releases...the new one's okay.

I've been spinning:
    Tori Amos - The Beekeeper - I like just about everything by her including this one, but it seems that she's moved from a solo performer with back-up to playing as part of a band...a bit jazzier than previous releases, a nice change
    Porcupine Tree - Signify....Coma Divine rules.
    Mastodon - Leviathan - just picked this up on a whim...damn wicked metal - where have I been?
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - listening in multi-channel is like hearing it for the first time.
    B.B. King - Live at the Regal - The man, the legend...
    Beethoven - 7th Symphony (Kleiber) - spent last week on the 5th, the 7th is often overlooked
    Dream Theater - Images and Words
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD) - that time of year again?
    Symphony X - The Odyssey - Iron Maiden on steroids
    Opeth - Blackwater Park - Symphony X on steroids

That's about it.

Forum Regular

Nice pick with Mastodon!!!

Those guys are great, you should see them live if you get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I can definately hear the influence of Chris Goss on those MarK Lanegan Band tracks, they almost sound like bastard cousins of Masters of Reality's more recent work.
    Yeah, this is probably the best thing Lanegan has done. Very diverse, even though a lot of it does have that stoner rock foundation. I really like the Chris Goss production too, but I also really wish they would've used less compression and let it open up a little more like on those old Masters of Reality records. I don't really understand why some of these veterans go for the highly compressed sound. Makes it sound like crapola. Don't they remember how much better recordings used to sound? Nowadays if I hear something that is only moderately compressed (but still way more compressed than the old days) like that Black Mountain or the Hellsayers CD, I tend to think of it as almost an audiophile recording!

Anyway, thanks Tricky Ricky for correcting my mailing error and thanks for that package with Lori Carson and the other goodies, although I haven't taken much of a shine to the Lori Carson solo stuff yet. Much more laidback and less quirky than I was expecting.

Metal mania

Every once in a while I get into a serious metal mood.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Masters Of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Metallica - And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets
    Katatonia - Viva Emptiness and Last Fair Deal Gone Down
    Opeth - Blackwater Park and Deliverance
    Dead Soul Tribe - Dead Soul Tribe and The January Tree
    Montrose - Montrose

On the lighter side:

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock, High Voltage and Powerage. Gotta love Bon Scott.
    BOC - Tyranny and Mutation
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Let loose of a couple of bucks and grabbed a couple of new titles, namely the Kaiser Chiefs and the new Bloc Party. Mike inadvertantly encouraged both choices and I'm happy with both. I think they're still new enough to me that I haven't formed a lasting impression yet other than they fit nicely on the shelf with Franz, Futureheads, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Razorlight and on and on. Look forward to spending more time with both.

Busted out that Propaganda CDR, A Secret Wish. Love it.

And of course some bootleg recordings, some of which are outstanding:

Jimmy Buffett-a+ on the sound quality but features way too many of the new toons, which aren't really my thing.

Dick Dale- A SBD recording from 1997-very cool

Arcade Fire-BBC session short but very sweet.

American Music Club and the Trashcan Sinatras from a 2005 show. SQ is lacking but reasonably enjoyable.

Dead Can Dance

Devo-an 88 show with the spud boys performing techno versions of their songs-very kewl for fans

REM-an 84 show that is called the "Unreleased Live Album" very good quality-exceptional in fact.

Erasure- Another short little BBC gig

The Strokes from 2001

The Damned from 2001

The Stranglers- a 1980 FM broadcast show

The Doves

And a really cool DVD - New Order - And God Created Manchester DVD

DVB -> VHS -> DVD

This programme, originally broadcast in 1998, was recently shown again on BBC4, a UK digital channel.

Narrated by John Peel and part of the "Rock Family Tree" series, it charts the growth of Joy Division into New Order and examines their place within the Manchester music heirarchy. The story also includes The Buzzcocks, Happy Mondays and The Smiths amongst others.

All said it was a great week.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

New ones:

Got the first Mr. Bungle CD. Not even remotely interesting to me. Incoherant and infantile. I LOVED "California", but this one's junk.

But nowhare NEAR as in junky as the first Secret Chiefs 3 disc. What a waste of atoms. "Book of Horizons" is brilliant, this one's . . . not.

Got suckered into an interesting Japanese Import of XTC's Wasp Star- "Waspstrumentals". Simply instrumental mixes of the songs on that CD. Not remixed, just deleted vocal tracks. It was cheap, but I can see why. Still, a ton of interesting liner notes on the band's recording process, but I will be selling this one back to Amoeba shortly.

House of Loungecore- the Easy Project II. Score of the week!! Fantastic 60s and 70s big band TV and film scores from England. I loved the first disc, had it for years. Shocked and amused to find this second offering. Over the top kitsch, but it totally works. As the liner notes say "How far from bands like Portishead IS this, really?"

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Walt Mink - El Producto

Now we're talkin'. Definitely an underappreciated album.

For me, these come to mind:

Decemberists - Picaresque
    These guys have the Midas touch. Another fine offering. Not a huge change of pace for them, but it's a damn good record.

High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
    The more I play this one, the more I like it. Sabbath-influenced, intense metal.

Masters of Power Pop Vol. 1 comp by our resident power pop guru. Great start to finish.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Ollabelle- s/t
    Joy Division - Permanent
    Genesis - Duke
    Hector Zazou - Sahara Blue
    Lou Reed - Rock & Roll Animal
    Billie Holiday - Sings Standards
    Lori Carson - The Finest Thing
    Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

comps:
    Fun with K
    REM comp (remember this one Mike?)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    CD unless indicated:

Sarah McLachlan "Mirrorball - Live"
    Sarah McLachlan "Surfacing" (LP)
    Sarah Mclachlan "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy" (LP)
    Dido "Life for Rent"
    Tina Turner "Live (LP)
    David Sanborn "backstreet" (LP)
    Norah Jones "Come Away with Me" (LP)
    The Outfield "Play Deep" (LP)
    Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies - Josef Krips (LP) (exerps)
    George Gershwin "Porgy and Bess" (Robert Farnon) (LP)
    Ravel "Bolero" Daniel Barenboim (LP)
    Mozart : Magic Flute (Karajan) (LP)
    Jackson Brown "Lawyers in Love" (LP)
    Jewel "Pieces of You" (LP)
    KD Lang "Hymns of the 49th Parallel"
    Acoustic Alchemy "Back on the Case"
    Dave Brubeck "Take Five" (LP)
    Loreena McKennit "Parallel Dreams"
    The Beautiful South "Welcome to..." (LP)
    The Beautiful South "Carry on up the Charts"

Currently shuffled up on my playlist:

Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions
    Marquez Wyatt - For Those Who Like To Get Down
    Wertico - StereoNucleosis
    The Amalgamation of Soundz - Part II
    Saint Germain - En Laye Cafe
    Llorca - The New Comer
    Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up
    Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
    Alice In Chains - Dirt

Here's what my mostly spent brain can remember:

Eva Cassidy - Imagine
    Eva Cassidy - American Tune
    Eva Cassidy - Songbird
    Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
    Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me
    Neva Dinova - The Hate Yourself Change
    Red House Painters - Retrospective
    Blue Merle - Burning in the Sun
    Mike's "Up All Night - Best of 2004 so far...)
    Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

JD

Forum Regular
    Well let me think.

Psychedelic Furs - World Outside

Shadowland - Mad as a Hatter

Galahad - Following Ghosts

Asia - Komp. Comped their 1st three albums, cut the crap out.

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors

Deep Purple - Banannas

Uriah Heep - Firefly

Arena - Peppers Ghost

Ines - Hunting the Fox

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp!

Peace -

Dave

Been working my arse off lately. My wife pointed out that today is one year to the day that my bosses at my last job canned me. We're going out to celebrate a year away from that ****ehole and the movings on to a better job and life.

On a musical note, also been putting all my CD's on my new computer and will soon buy a media reciever so i can retire my CD player. Finally got a highspeed internet connection so hopefully will be frequenting this place more than the four times in the past 12 months. Since i've been loading my CD's onto the computer, i've been spinning pretty much everything i own lately. A couple of my favorite new listens though:

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
    Jamie Collum - Twentysomething

Both of these are fantastic albums with serious jazz influences. Collum does a really sweet cover of Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary".

Haven't had time or energy to purchase much lately. Hopefully that will change here in the near future.

Good to see everyone still posting.

Tug

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Been on a Flash and the Pan kick -- Flash and the Pan, Lights in the Night, the under-rated Headlines and the even-the-filler-is-killer-filler Early Morning Wake Up Call.

Killing Joke -- Jaz Coleman quite possibly has the greatest rock'n'roll voice ever. And this album is more full of hooks than Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf...which is saying a lot.

Lots of Zazou -- totally digging this.

Lhasa -- she continues to be fantastic.

Tori Amos, The Beekeeper -- continues to be one of my favourites by her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    But nowhare NEAR as in junky as the first Secret Chiefs 3 disc. What a waste of atoms. "Book of Horizons" is brilliant, this one's . . . not.
    Really? I can't really tell the difference between all four...much. I mean, that scene on First Grand Constitution and Bylaws where they sound like they're pretty much recording everything that's going on the studio (...fire! Fire!...huh...) is pretty...amateur, but...it's fun! The rest of it -- I think -- is on par with everything else they've done.

I'm curious what you'll think of Second... and Book M.

Also recommended: Tub Ring -- Drake Equation was produced by Trey Spruance. They're sort of in that whole Zappa/Mr. Bungle/schizophrenic school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Wertico - StereoNucleosis
    Please tell me more about this -- I wrote it down while in the store as one to investigate, but couldn't listen to it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Boots....

Jethro Tull - Live In L.A. Great 1980 FM show from the A tour in Anaheim, better than King Biscuit's St. Louis that year. There's a 2-disc version out there, gimme time, I'll get it.

Bruford - Chicago 1979. No Holdsworth, soundboard, had to speed/pitch correct this down 5% and re-track it etc. etc.

Bruford - London, May 5 1980. My best sounding Bruford boot by far. Obviously the BBC. Guess what? Jeff Berlin can actually sing! Never realized before that he was doing a Jack Bruce imitiation.

CSNY - Back In The Day. Sacramento 2000. FM 3-disc'er from the Rush guys at Digital Reproductions. Stills' voice is shot (still a great, underrated guitarist), Nash is rough, Neil sounds like Neil, Crosby is a freaking powerhouse.

Missing Persons - Us Festival 1983. Taken from mono video that was probably pirated from the pro-tape. Mono but great sound, possibly remastered at some point. Amazing band. This is the full show, not the few songs shown on eneMaTV.

The Police - Dallas, March 9, 1979. This is 4 days after the KSAN deal at Berkeley, supposedly another FM but I don't know who would've done it here back then. Sounds better than KSAN. Early Police, hot as ever.

Ramones - The 914 Sessions (1975) 5 songs, vinyl rip, studio quality. A classic

The Who - From Lifehouse to Leeds. New York Lifehouse sessions that morphed into Who's Next. Leslie West on additional guitar on Won't Get Fooled Again. Some Leeds is on here but I can't remember why at the moment.

Brian Wilson - Smile. Somebody took a vinyl version of the Nonesuch 2004 release and had it professionally mastered to CDR at a studio in N. Carolina. Bonus tracks are the same as the single Jay sold on E-Bay. He didn't open it but now we know the track from the London premiere was professionally recorded. So, my guess is that every B. Wilson show is professionally recorded.

Yes - Wembley 1978: The 25th Anniversary Edition. Far and away the best sounding version of this BBC classic. My cover for this will go up on Dog Biscuit's site next month and become the "official" unofficial cover. (Strange. Troy's making music and I'm making covers.)

Yes - Complete Endless Dream Ver. 2.0. No really, that's the title. Long story, short. Two Concertsonics recordings from the same show in Canandaigua, NY were combined to make the best boot from the Talk tour. A little static interference hear and there but most of it was coming from my amp which subsequently blew its left channel. Good riddance.

That was fun. I might do this every week.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Let loose of a couple of bucks and grabbed a couple of new titles, namely the Kaiser Chiefs and the new Bloc Party. Mike inadvertantly encouraged both choices and I'm happy with both. I think they're still new enough to me that I haven't formed a lasting impression yet other than they fit nicely on the shelf with Franz, Futureheads, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Razorlight and on and on. Look forward to spending more time with both.
    Glad you like them Jim I would say both are right up your street, that Bloc Party is my current fave at the moment they have a great driving rhythm section. Another one you might like with a similar 80's retro sound is The Bravery.

Cheers
    Mike

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me
    JD
    Is this her new one? Is it any good? I have Failer and think that it's a pretty decent CD. I haven't heard anything about her new one yet.

My listens this week...

The Zutons - Who Killed...The Zutons - I'm still enjoying this one. Although, I will take back my intial comments about giving American Idiot a run for it's money now that the initial "wow" factor has worn off. It's still a great disk though and has been haunting me with plenty of earworms this week.

Franz Ferdinand - Yep, it's a keeper.

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - I'm not liking this as much as Chutes Too Narrow. But, to be fair, I haven't spend that much time with it yet.

Queens of the Stoneage - R - After one spin, I would say that it sounds a lot cleaner than Songs For The Deaf. I'll need to give this a few more spins but my initial impression is that it's a little boring. I'll get back to you on this one.

Bowie - Station to Station
    Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and those glorious Spiders From Mars

The Tea Party - Seven Circles - possibly my favourite Tea Party disk.

I'm sure that there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I really need to start writing this stuff down throughout the week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information