Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

here's the thing about the Phillies

They won game one of the World Series last night!

Does anybody here care?

Should I have posted this in a *the rest of the world* forum?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    We don't like horse racin' 'round these parts, son.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    They won game one of the World Series last night!

Does anybody here care?

Should I have posted this in a *the rest of the world* forum?
    I care....until they start losing.

Although I'm an Eagles and Flyers fan...

...(who cares about NBA?), I'm actually a St. Louis Cardinals fan when it comes to baseball, thanks to Danny Ozark ruining things so many years ago. That being said, I do hope the Phillies can win it. For one, they are the NL champs and are in PA. Secondly, Philadelphia is starved for a championship...any championship. The Rays are a great worst-to-first story, but that doesn't merit a W.S. Championship. Sorry.

GO PHILLIES!

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Jeez! You said that so loud the sight went down for few minutes.

To be honest, last night's game was the first B-ball game I've watched between any teams at all in the last... probably 7 years. The Rangers suck and have for the 10 years I've lived down here.

But I'll tell ya what, I saw some very impressive hitting and pitching from the Pennant winning Phillies. If they'd been able to bring 2/3's of the runners on base home it would've been quite embarrasing for the home team in front of their fans. BTW, when did they stop being the Devil Rays? Is it because it's an election year?

I gotta laugh about your remark about Ozark. What a contrast in management styles between Dallas Green and him huh? Even during those years though I didn't jump off the bandwagon (Maybe it was because of all the partying I did during the games? Mmmmmmmm..... could beee).

The Eagles and Phillies are what distinguished the seasons when I was growing up in SJ. The Flyers were right there for me too in the 70's & 80's. I had great teams to cheer for year 'round. Ya'll gotta realize what a great sports area you live in. You don't know what you got 'til you don't got it no more.

What I'm sayin'

What is this thing you call "world series"?

Suspended

And another thing

It could be all over tonite, with the Phillies taking home their first championship since 1980. So it would be: '80 & '08. (saw a fan's sign during the game last night that pointed that out.)

Suspended
    WTF?!?!?! Can't you yanks do a better job of controlling the weather up there? Now you know why I left Jersey.

I'm no baseball fan, but this is the worst WS I've ever (not) seen. Playing in a driving rainstorm last night was a joke. The Rays getting the tying run saved Selig the embarrassment of calling this travesty the last game of the series, tho maybe the series should have been put out of its misery. I loved the game on saturday night too: 2 east coast teams playing at 2am local time. Pathetic.

The series is played too late in the year and the start times are far too late.

This sport is miles away from where it needs to be. No wonder its popularity is in such steep decline.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy

The series is played too late in the year and the start times are far too late.

This sport is miles away from where it needs to be. No wonder its popularity is in such steep decline.
    I agree with the above. But, these guys are sissies and always crying about something.

The Eagles play in Rain, Snow, Sleet, or whatever comes their way. Remember the famous Fog Bowl?

What about when the Flyers played a championship game in the heat where the ice threw off so much fog you could not see the puck?

When I played soccer, I played in snow, ice, rain, 0 degree weather and all in shorts. So why is it that baseball is the only sport where they cry about the weather? Even golf is played in the rain as long as there is no lightning.

If Baseball is to be played in late October, it should be played in whatever elements come with the season. I really don't see why it takes 150 some odd games to determine a winner anyway but to cover all the outrageous salaries. How do they ever do it in Football with just 16 games?

They should have never started the game or played until it was done. Both teams were at the same disadvantage.

Baseball is way different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I agree with the above. But, these guys are sissies and always crying about something.

The Eagles play in Rain, Snow, Sleet, or whatever comes their way. Remember the famous Fog Bowl?

What about when the Flyers played a championship game in the heat where the ice threw off so much fog you could not see the puck?

When I played soccer, I played in snow, ice, rain, 0 degree weather and all in shorts. So why is it that baseball is the only sport where they cry about the weather? Even golf is played in the rain as long as there is no lightning.

If Baseball is to be played in late October, it should be played in whatever elements come with the season. I really don't see why it takes 150 some odd games to determine a winner anyway but to cover all the outrageous salaries. How do they ever do it in Football with just 16 games?

They should have never started the game or played until it was done. Both teams were at the same disadvantage.
    Did you ever try to pitch or bat when it's pouring down raining? It's just a joke, so better they stop play and come back later. Kicking a ball or taking a hand-off in football isn't that big a deal. Baseball just isn't a sport that can be played with any degree of competency in heavy rain. Unless you've tried it, you just wouldn't know.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Did you ever try to pitch or bat when it's pouring down raining? It's just a joke, so better they stop play and come back later. Kicking a ball or taking a hand-off in football isn't that big a deal. Baseball just isn't a sport that can be played with any degree of competency in heavy rain. Unless you've tried it, you just wouldn't know.

Swish
    Ever try to throw, catch or kick a football when it's 5 degrees out?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish

Swish
    I played little league baseball and in the rain at times. Kicking and handoffs are not the only plays in football, they still have to throw and catch a wet ball. They still have to run down the field. How many games have you watched where the players loose their footing on every play? do they call it a night? No, they play ball.

I guess the bottom line is that they should never started the game knowing the weather. Also, maybe since weather is a factor, all Baseball parks should be domes. That way other than not making enough money to play a kids game, they would have nothing to cry about.

Sorry, but I am totally unsympathetic to any pro sports. They make way too much money and still cry about something. The Fire fighters and Police and people who save lives and protect people should make a decent wage, not people playing games. Nobody is worth $10 million to play a game. As long as people throw their hard earned money their way, it will never end.

Yeah we are in a recession but everyone at the ball park has hundreds of dollars to pay for an overpriced ticket, overpriced parking, $6 coors lights, food from the time they get to the park til they leave.

Peoples misplaced priorities enable these athletes to continue to make outragous amounts of money. Oh, and when they do something right, they dance all around and party. I say shut up, sit down, you finally did what your getting paid to do!

Suspended
    WTF is it with you Troy? Oh that's right, you're only here to instigate and antagonize non-members right?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I can't count the times I had soccer ball tattoos on my legs from 5 degree weather. They last a long time and hurt like hell. Kicking a soccer ball in the mud is also fun.

Suspended
    Who's crying? I didn't see anyone on the field last night crying.

And domed stadiums. Baseball is a summertime sport. Not a fair comparison in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hifi
    Point being?

Again, who's crying? I was the one making the remark about the weather but ummm, I wasn't on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Hifi

Besides the *follow the "leader" mentality* in this forum, the childish banter is quite simply, borish.

There are plenty of members only threads here for you to crap on... go play somewhere else.

Suspended

And domed stadiums. Baseball is a summertime sport. Not a fair comparison in the slightest.

Point being?
    Um, it rains in the summer also, dopey.

There are plenty of members only threads here for you to crap on... go play somewhere else.
    Point being?

Originally Posted by Hifi
    Point being?
    Um, if you can't see the puck, how can you shoot it, pass it, or in the gaolies case, see it and stop it.

Besides the *follow the "leader" mentality* in this forum, the childish banter is quite simply, borish.
    Hey! I resemble that!

Huh?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Instigator, that's me.

There's other sports that aren't played in weather like some forms of motorsport. Imagine drag racing in the snow . . . And most sports are called for lightning.

I personally don't mind if they call the game for rain, but they played almost 3 innings in a downpour. Why wasn't the game called earlier? Any other ball game and they would have. Oh, because it would have ended the game and given the title to Philly on a rain out, how anti-climactic. The whole rules manipulation aspect of this is a travesty. Remember, I couldn't care less which team wins this, but just as an impartial viewer the whole thing feels fake and contrived. A trainwreck.

I saw an interview with Selig after they called the game last night and he looked like a mess. I think he was drunk or on sedatives.

Remember when it snowed during a Series game about 5 years ago? Hilarious. If baseball doesn't want to play in winter conditions (it was also in the 30s and raining last nite, definitely not a summer shower), then finish the season before winter starts.

Baseball is not the game I remember when I was a kid. The sport has lost its way. That's why so many people in this thread really don't care who wins or loses this thing.

Suspended
    Um, it rains in the summer also, dopey.

Point being?

Um, if you can't see the puck, how can you shoot it, pass it, or in the gaolies case, see it and stop it.
    Dopey? Like I said child, go crap on someone else's thread. If ya don't got nothing nice to say, piss the **** off.

Um, I watched that game (you probably weren't even born yet); the players saw the puck just fine. Nice try.

Suspended
    Instigator, that's me.

There's other sports that aren't played in weather like some forms of motorsport. Imagine drag racing in the snow . . . And most sports are called for lightning.

I personally don't mind if they call the game for rain, but they played almost 3 innings in a downpour. Why wasn't the game called earlier? Any other ball game and they would have. Oh, because it would have ended the game and given the title to Philly on a rain out, how anti-climactic. The whole rules manipulation aspect of this is a travesty. Remember, I couldn't care less which team wins this, but just as an impartial viewer the whole thing feels fake and contrived. A trainwreck.

I saw an interview with Selig after they called the game last night and he looked like a mess. I think he was drunk or on sedatives.

Remember when it snowed during a Series game about 5 years ago? Hilarious. If baseball doesn't want to play in winter conditions (it was also in the 30s and raining last nite, definitely not a summer shower), then finish the season before winter starts.

Baseball is not the game I remember when I was a kid. The sport has lost its way. That's why so many people in this thread really don't care who wins or loses this thing.
    I sure hope you're not going to start in again with the... "players should be allowed to do steroids" routine.

Suspended
    Dopey? Like I said child, go crap on someone else's thread. If ya don't got nothing nice to say, piss the **** off.

Um, I watched that game (you probably weren't even born yet); the players saw the puck just fine. Nice try.

Wasn't born yet? Dude, my best friends brother got killed in a car accident we were in on the way home from the first cup parade. I'm actually one of the older guys around here. Didn't you ever notice I'm stuck in the 60s and 70s with music? Dopey!

Suspended
    So you're a grouchy old ****. My bad.

I agree they should have suspended play sooner...but....

I personally don't mind if they call the game for rain, but they played almost 3 innings in a downpour. Why wasn't the game called earlier? Any other ball game and they would have. Oh, because it would have ended the game and given the title to Philly on a rain out, how anti-climactic.
    ...there's no way they are going to end a World Series game, much less the decisive game, and hand the title to the Phils. I read an article in the paper today and they said as much. One regular season game isn't a big deal, but this was a big deal, and it wasn't going to end the game or the Series.

Swish

I've played football in all kinds of weather, so yes...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    ...I have thrown, caught, and kicked a football when it was 5 degrees, and possibly colder. I didn't enjoy it, but it was the same on both sides of the ball. I know that sounds a bit odd, but it's not the same as a pitcher trying to pitch off a muddy mound in a driving rainstorm, or a batter trying to hit. You can't throw a baseball effectively in those conditions, but you can toss a football reasonably well. Not great, but reasonably well, so I stand by my argument.

Swish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information