Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Blue Rodeo publicity stunt

Blue Rodeo has a new CD being released tomorrow. I've yet to hear anything from it, so I can't comment on it yet. But the one review that I've read criticized the band for being too adult contempory and losing that bluegrass feel of their early albums.

To promote the CD, the band is travelling around the downtown core in a van and doing random performances around Toronto today. They have four locations and times listed on their web site, but apparently they're also doing unannounced stops in between.

It's times like these that I miss working downtown.

http://www.bluerodeo.com/

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    But the one review that I've read criticized the band for being too adult contempory and losing that bluegrass feel of their early albums.
    I went out onto the deck this weekend to fire up the barbeque. I turned on the radio. Canadian station that plays all the good stuff. The station was in the middle of a song. "I thought that's great. What's that?" It was the new Blue Rodeo single. Then they played the new Springsteen single. Both were very good.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I went out onto the deck this weekend to fire up the barbeque. I turned on the radio. Canadian station that plays all the good stuff. The station was in the middle of a song. "I thought that's great. What's that?" It was the new Blue Rodeo single. Then they played the new Springsteen single. Both were very good.
    There's a Canadian station that plays good stuff? We Canadians usually try our best to tune into the American stations.

Good to hear that their first single is a good one. I'm surprised that I haven't heard it yet. I'll probably pick up the CD today. I've been a fan of theirs since their first CD was released. We used to go see them play every couple of months, back in the days when you could see them at clubs for free.

I haven't enjoyed their last couple of CDs so much. I think that Jim Cuddy's last solo CD was far better than the last few BR disks. But, regardless, they're still an automatic buy for me. There's usually two or three songs on each disk that makes the purchase worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    There's usually two or three songs on each disk that makes the purchase worthwhile.
    Spoken like a true Canadian. To paraphrase, "as long as I get one sixth of my money's worth, I'm happy".

Hehehe, just kidding, but to be honest, Blue Rodeo was always that kind of band to me as well, although I was always left feeling that I didn't quite get my money's worth. Quality stuff when they smack it, no doubt there. Compete with some of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Spoken like a true Canadian. To paraphrase, "as long as I get one sixth of my money's worth, I'm happy".
    Now that we're par with the American's. That one sixth is worth one quarter.

Thread Information