It might be election day but it's still a Tuesday

I'll rock the vote-right here!!!

Watcha been groovin' to?

For myself I gotta lay claim to that M83 I posted about. Also grabbed the new Assemblage 23 album entitled Storm. Personally I liked the previous A23 album better and considered that one close to a perfect album. This one's still very new so I won't dismiss it.

Other listens:

Halloween 04-Wish Hyfi's would have shown up. Also played all of the other Halloween comps. There's an awesome "best of" disc in there.

Pavement- Slanted And Enchanted: Luxe And Reduxe. Holly cow, talk about your basic "expanded edition". 48 Cuts on this 2 disc gem. This is what anniversary editions want to be.

Sinead O'Connor- She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty

Elvis Costello-Trust-Rhino Remaster. They did a marvelous job on these!
    Interpol-Antics

Razorlight- Up All Night. Still think this could be the sleeper R-n-R album of the year

Stan-Snakebit

Siouxise and the Banshees-several while looking forward to the new box set and the remasters which will be released in 2005. About time and good gracious I'm going to need to pick up more hours to pay for all of this.

Otis Taylor-Respect The Dead. Been working on a Blues Comp for over a year now. Finding this album will really help flesh it out. Why do I like it??? Good question. From AMG" Taylor doesn't work within standard blues structures, and his lyrics stray far from the standard blues lines to encompass history and mythology. Where others seem content with the established limits, Taylor is pushing them further and further -- and in doing so, he's making some of the most exciting music around."

Lots more to be sure. Had to take the lovely Caravan in to Maaco so I borrowed my Dad's truck for a couple of days. No CDP-tape only. Listened to several cassette only albums in my collection. Had some Yes (some live album and I do like a couple of tracks), Ted Nugent, Lords Of The New Church, Modern English, and even Rod Stewart from his 80's releases which I enjoy much more than his other stuff.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 11-02-2004 at 09:04 AM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Legends - Up Against the Legends
    Franz Ferdinand - s/t
    These two definitely have a shot at making my top ten list at the end of the year. I'm not sure either one will, but they have a shot. Both fun records, and are more enjoyable the more I listen to them.

Junior Boys - Last Exit
    I've only spun this one twice, but so far I'm not understanding all the critical acclaim it's received. I like it, but so far it hasn't really hit me as being great.

The Faint - Wet From Birth
    I like it, but not nearly as much as Danse Macabre.

I'm drawing a blank on the rest right now.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Arcade Fire - Funeral
    The Walkabouts - Satisfied Mind
    The Legends - Up With the Legends
    Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
    Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
    The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
    Adam Ant - JC 2000 comp (this is fun stuff, Jim)
    Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (original IRS version)

Pianomunde - tentoze 2004 comp (this is a very nice collection - lots of familiar stuff but still very nice - hadn't heard that version of "Mistress" for ages and love it. Also loved "Ohio". Unfortunately I don't have that Over the Rhine CD with me now and have really missed it. And in the end, the number of CDs you take is equal to the love you make...or something like that - I think it's from Abbey Road, right? And Biff Rose does having ruling potential)

The United States of America (2004 Sony/Sundazed reissue of 1968 debut - been listening to this one an awful lot lately and loving it - 60s psychotic pop of the best kind by Joseph Byrd and his wacky "American metaphysical circus" - not really like anything before or since and Dorothy Moskowitz was a pretty damn good singer too - more at http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42242)
    Last edited by Davey; 11-02-2004 at 12:24 PM.

Mine reads like a rerun of the last few weeks, I guess, with a couple of new things:

Castanets, Cathedral- I posted about this one already. I like. A lot.
    Robert Randolph & The Family Band, Unclassified- A little different than my normal listening, but not in a bad way at all. It will get yr feet moving with all that gospel-influenced, jam-bandy, groove-inflected stuff going on.
    A Girl Called Eddy, S/T- Nice voice, nice songs, I wish there was more of an edge to it.
    Chappaquiddick Skyline- Only one spin, but good so far.

And, then there's Joseph Arthur and Twilight Singers still spinning up toward the top of the year-end list on a daily basis.

And more, but I'm short on time................
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Does anybody give a sh!t?

Wondermints- Bali
    King Crimson- The P{oer to Believe
    Drywall- Work the Dumb Oracle
    Secret Machines
    RPWL- Stock
    Cardiacs- Guns
    Blackfield
    Dannielle Luppi- The Italian Story

Just voted

yes, I "rocked" the vote. Whatever that means. The Bruce was in town last night, but I had absolutely no urge to go down and see him. I even had access to a free ticket.

Listened to mostly stuff that I'm sending other people as I prepared the goodies..

Forever Autumn is getting some "stoner rock" - a few months back the discussion turned to Kyuss, and I had the idea to send her some other representative bands. Had fun with some Monster Magnet, Nebula, Clutch, Queens of the Stone Age, Natas, Melvins and other usual suspects.

Mr T. is getting some December in November. Not quite as, umm.. articulate as Converge or Botch, but they play like madmen, and don't relent through the entire album. Also, a couple OLD OLD comps of mine called Blood Ugly 1 & 2, many of my favorite 90's bands, thought you'd like to sample.. Craw, Dazzling Killmen, Drive Like Jehu, Hammerhead, Don Caballero, Today is the Day.. So I listned to those again.. fun fun.

Audiobill, Whooptee and Alung watch your boxes!

Did spin someone's Halloween cd Sunday night.. had some Ministry, Portishead, Nick Cave and such.. nice mix even without it being seasonal.

And Botch WE ARE THE ROMANS and Converge JANE DOE. Both head-spinning stuff. Converge hits you like a hurricane, Botch hits you like the bricks thrown around in a hurricane.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Does anybody give a sh!t?
    About the election or the toons?

For me it's yes and yes. Been a while since I've been to the Oracle.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Forever Autumn is getting some "stoner rock"
    YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Thanks Jar!

<-----me in my younger 'stoner' days.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Same old thing

A lot of reruns this week, but some new old stuff too.

The Thrills - So Much for the City - Is anyone else listening to this band? If not, you should be. I bought thier new CD Let's Bottle Bohemia about a month ago because I heard it playing in the store and though it sounded pretty good. That disk reminded me of The Flaming Lips. Similar sound, but a little more accessible to the masses. This past weekend I picked up their first CD, So Much for the City. I'm glad that I bought the new one first. I'm not sure that I would have picked it up if I'd heard City first. It's a little more folky sounding in a Neil Young kinda way. Not really a good thing for me. I like the disk, but I like their second one a whole lot better.

Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales - This 2000 release is pretty good. Sounds a lot like his more recent On and On. There's some interesting instruments in the background on some of the tracks. But no liner notes to tell me what they are (cheap digipaks!). The instruments give it a bit of a Hawaian feel. Not surprising since, I think, he's from Hawaii.

Green Day - 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - I'm trying to get a comfort level with this fairly recent buy so that I can pick a couple of songs for my upcoming Green Day comp. One thing that I've learned from this CD....changing drummers was the best move that Green Day ever made.

An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess - Some excellent guitar and piano pieces from two of the best. This is not Dream Theater...not even close. Did someone say that these guys all had classical training? It shows on this disk. Man, what I would give to be able to play my guitar even close to this good.

If yr question was referring to what I've been listening to, the answer is I certainly doubt it.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    About the election or the toons?

For me it's yes and yes. Been a while since I've been to the Oracle.

jc
    The election? It's the most important election since the Civil War. The large turn out bodes well for a new regime. We shall see . . .

Drywall may well be my favorite Ridgway release. I wish he'd do more ballsy rock like it rather than turning into the rootsy Americana balladeer, but that's just me. Or is it?

Toze, the posters on this board show A LOT more interest in what you listen to than what I do.

Couple of DVD's worth noting:

The Moody Blues - The Lost Performance: Live In Paris 1970. When I saw this I thought "How cool, an actual live concert of The Moodies when they were young". Great set list and it was only 12 bucks so I jumped on it. But hold on ladies and gentlemen, it ain't entirely live. Only the vocals were live. Apparantly, this was filmed for French television, and poorly filmed at that, using the studio multitrack tapes as the backing while the band sung live miming their instruments. How stupid is that. Needless to say, it was pretty crappy and the band could barely keep in sync. If you're hungry for achival footage then by all means go for it. Otherwise, save yer 12 bucks.

The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus. I'm sure yer all familiar with this December 1968 show created by Mick Jagger. It was never released, until now. Great footage, at least from a historical point of view. The last performance of Brian Jones, who would die shortly thereafter. Lots of present day commentary from the artists including a lengthy interview with Pete Townsend. Narration by Ian Anderson, Marianne Faithful, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and others. Lots of backstage and never before seen performace footage. Sound is in 5.1 and the video quality was very good. It was great to see this and anyone interested in taking a historical peek into the 1968 London music scene may find this enjoyable. Also, I knew Tony Iommi played for Tull for just a brief time but I wasn't sure if he played with them on the Rock 'n' Roll Circus gig. Anyway, this video comfirmed it. Here we have Tony miming the guitar parts for Tull's performance of "A Song For Jeffrey". Tony's only appereance with the band. Great stuff.

No new CD's to report. Oh, the new Happy The Man. This was pretty darn good, that is, if you like proggy/jazzy instrumental type stuff.

Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34. The new Snapper remaster. Early Tree. Consists mostly of SW and his electronic gadgets. Album is broken into four phases. I thought it was good. Not gonna be everybodies cup o' tea, not even for PT fans.

Some Tull, some Caravan and some other stuff that nobody seems to pay attention too.

Jackson's Timasheen 19/20/21. Consists of all jazz in it's various styles from the late 60's to present day. I really dug this but I like jazz and fusion and prog. If you're not into that sort of thing than this would be of little interest. Great stuff Gordon.

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenH; 11-03-2004 at 06:24 AM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Smile Voted for Kerry.

Mr T. is getting some December in November. Not quite as, umm.. articulate as Converge or Botch, but they play like madmen, and don't relent through the entire album. Also, a couple OLD OLD comps of mine called Blood Ugly 1 & 2, many of my favorite 90's bands, thought you'd like to sample.. Craw, Dazzling Killmen, Drive Like Jehu, Hammerhead, Don Caballero, Today is the Day.. So I listned to those again.. fun fun.
    Ah, yes. Thanks Jar. I await these comps (and Lament Configuration) with bated breath. Much pummeling fun to be had. ; )

And Botch WE ARE THE ROMANS and Converge JANE DOE. Both head-spinning stuff. Converge hits you like a hurricane, Botch hits you like the bricks thrown around in a hurricane.
    Glad you like 'em. What did you think of the last two tracks on We Are The Romans? Totally not what I was expecting...Gregorian chants, breakbeat on a metalcore album? Who would've guessed?

Lately I've been thinking about crafting a comp of heavy music, tentatively titled "Offend Yr. Parental Unit." It'll have thrash/death, industrial and noisecore bands (Dillinger Escape Plan, Metallica, Megadeth, In Flames, Ministry etc.); also some noisy indie/alt-rock (Stooges, Soundgarden, Nirvana, McClusky) and more melodic metal (Motorhead, Kyuss) to balance it out. Abrasive and loud, but with some melodic tracks, not just "EXTREEM" stuff, to make the harshness go down easier. Think of it as sort of a cross between your It's OK and Punisher comps, Jar.

Anyway, my birthday was a couple weeks ago, so I indulged in a bit of music shopping:

Devin Townsend: Ocean Machine
    Great melodic prog-metal/hard rock. Creative, atmospheric, and not wanky in the slightest (though certainly accomplished). Devin shows a totally different side to his vox compared to Strapping Young Lad, singing as opposed to screaming his lungs out. Definitely recommended.

Weather Report: Interstellar Traveller
    Solid record from the pre-Jaco period. Some parts sound a bit New Age-y, but otherwise excellent. Lots of interesting instrumental textures and good performances by Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul (who wrote most of the album). "Nubian Sundance" is a great track.

Einsturzende Neubaten (sic): Perpetuum Mobile
    This is my first E.N. album. I've heard some of their early stuff, and this is WAY different--more melodic and warm, much less "clang." Blixa Bargeld also sings rather than screams most of the way through. I dig the German, lets me ignore the lyrics and just focus on his voice as an instrument. Speaking of instruments, the stuff these guys play on is nuts. Sheet metal? "Amplified spring glass?" Pressurized air tubes? Very imaginative. Me likey. Thanks Dusty for the rec.

Machine Head: Burn My Eyes
    "Slow" thrash, sort of in the vein of Pantera, but heavier and better. These guys are masters of "The Crunch." Something is definitely going to be comped from this, I guarantee it.

Other albums I've been listening to:

Fear Factory: Obsolete
    Fantomas: self-titled
    Killing Joke: self-titled
    Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
    Jaco Pastorius: self-titled
    Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Wink Bricks & Hurricanes....

Hey, Jarman....I like your quote, man: "And Botch WE ARE THE ROMANS and Converge JANE DOE. Both head-spinning stuff. Converge hits you like a hurricane, Botch hits you like the bricks thrown around in a hurricane." Very appropro

Cool The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus

The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus. I'm sure yer all familiar with this December 1968 show created by Mick Jagger. It was never released, until now. Great footage, at least from a historical point of view. The last performance of Brian Jones, who would die shortly thereafter. Lots of present day commentary from the artists including a lengthy interview with Pete Townsend. Narration by Ian Anderson, Marianne Faithful, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and others. Lots of backstage and never before seen performace footage. Sound is in 5.1 and the video quality was very good. It was great to see this and anyone interested in taking a historical peek into the 1968 London music scene may find this enjoyable. Also, I knew Tony Iommi played for Tull for just a brief time but I wasn't sure if he played with them on The Rock 'n' Roll Circus gig. Anyway, this video comfirmed it. Here we have Tony miming the guitar parts for Tull's performance of "A Song For Jeffrey". Tony's only appereance with the band. Great stuff.

Hey, Darren.

Thanks for your review of The Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus. I saw this one on the racks at HMV, today, and was wondering about the video quality. Very good, just sold me, as did the Jethro Tull trivia. I'm picking it up, tomorrow during my lunch.

Thanks, again,
    Bill

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Razorlight -- I dig it, the guy's voice kind of reminds me of Mark(/Marc?) Almond, but it was totally overshadowed by I Am The World Trade Center, which I totally grooved my schwoov to.

Lisa Cerbone, Ordinary Days -- nice, but not as much a pleasant surprise as the Lori Carson disk from a week or two back.

Eluvium, An Accidental Memory in the Case of Death -- nice piano music.

The Tiger Lillies with Kronos Quartet, The Gorey End -- my choice for Halloween music that didn't get played that night (Halloween '04 by JC got played instead). Brilliant lyrics, bizarre premise, fun stuff.

Mortiis, The Grudge -- totally industrial. Liked The Smell of Rain more, though.

The Dresden Dolls -- I totally dig this. Excellent songwriting, virtuosic playing, dark subject matter. What more could a little boy dream?

The Music -- dig it! I may have to get the new one.

Happy the Man, The Muse Awakens -- OMG, their best yet, and that's saying something. Absolutely legendary band, and I've been waiting for this one for years, since I saw them at the State Theater in 2001, and they mentioned it then. Goes back and forth between their more energetic fast rockin' numbers, and the slower, more epic/grandiose/majestic "power ballad" types. Not a single bad track on here.

Fatboy Slim, Palookaville -- will have to give this one a few more listens, definitely catchy upon first listen, but I'm hearing too much eMpTyV, and not enough Better Living Through Chemistry (which is still his crowning achievement, IMHO).

Also, an Astralwerks sampler that came with it...will have to check some of those artists out.

Rob Dougan, Furious Angels -- definitely a killer album, love it from beginning to end, I was wearing it out last week.

Frank Black, Black Letter Days -- very good, probably better than Devil's Workshop.

Isidore -- Steve Kilbey (Church) side project -- pretty typical, as far as those things go. I'm almost thinking either (a) there's some real chemistry when he sits down to write Church tunes, or (b) he's saving the good ones. I mean, it's still enjoyable, I probably just need to give it a few more listens.

Joseph Arthur, Our Shadows Will Remain -- definitely his best, from what I've heard (Redemption's Son, Come to Where I'm From), but doesn't match the quality of the track from his site ("All Of Our Hands"), and I still think Jim White's Drill A Hole in the Substrate... is better, albeit not really comparable. But anyway, all of this was totally overshadowed by...

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus -- this is easily LOTW. Not a bad track on here. About 84 minutes of music, and they chose to split it up, and I'm glad they did, although I'm sure the complaint is going to be registered that they could have just edited it a little bit, and made it one CD, but y'know? I like the packaging -- all cloth box cover and pastels colours. I also think the split is somewhat appropriate, but I can't put my finger on exactly what the difference is.

Every single one of these tracks could have been a Spiritualized single -- lots of gospel and organic production, some slash-and-burn type brutality, some modest and humble yet still powerful. All musical and brilliant.

Some standout tracks: the title tracks (heh-heh), Get Ready for Love, Messiah Ward, Easy Money, O Children.

Definitely making my year-end list.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Devin Townsend: Ocean Machine

Einsturzende Neubaten (sic): Perpetuum Mobile
    This is my first E.N. album. I've heard some of their early stuff, and this is WAY different--more melodic and warm, much less "clang." Blixa Bargeld also sings rather than screams most of the way through. I dig the German, lets me ignore the lyrics and just focus on his voice as an instrument. Speaking of instruments, the stuff these guys play on is nuts. Sheet metal? "Amplified spring glass?" Pressurized air tubes? Very imaginative. Me likey. Thanks Dusty for the rec.
    ...survival blanket...which they also play live in concert, as well. It's a trip watching them as well. They even talk about it -- how, because of power requirements, they had to buy some of their power tools after they got here, and they couldn't find ones of the right pitch, but they found others they were happy with...erm...with which they were happy. (shouts in his best 'drunk frat boy' voice) Black and Deckerrrrrrrr!!!!!

And watching them play with pressurized air (a lot of it on this last tour) is a trip. One of my favourite live bands, ever. You should also check out Silence is Sexy.

Oh, and Devin Townsend freakin' rawx!
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 11-02-2004 at 11:33 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information