DPM

Placing my head on the chopping block

Well, I don't care what anyone says, I like The Darkness. Their Cd kicks a$$ and puts a big smile on my face. No, they're certainly not original, but I've grown tired of the constant string of shoe gazers and lame metal bands being thrown my way. And another thing, I'll take six hours of falsetto from The Darkness over 5 minutes of the rapp/shrieking/death growl B.S. that passes for hard rock/metal vocals these days. Give me melody or give me deaf.

OK, now that I got that off my chest you may fire when ready.

Dave M (retired and grumpy rock 'n' roll frontman)

PS: Just to show that I'm not stuck in the seventies, I do like Tool and even Opeth when the guitarist uses his very pleasing voice for SINGING. Can anyone out there make me a hard rock/metal comp of current bands that avoid the rapp/shrieking/death growl B.S. mentioned above? I would gladly reciprocate.

Hey Dave,

Check out Dead Soul Tribe. I do think you might like them. They've got a nice metal vibe without being overly bombastic. Melodic, clean vocals. Their s/t first release is the better of the two releases although A Murdur Of Crows has some good moments.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by DPM
    PS: Just to show that I'm not stuck in the seventies, I do like Tool and even Opeth when the guitarist uses his very pleasing voice for SINGING. Can anyone out there make me a hard rock/metal comp of current bands that avoid the rapp/shrieking/death growl B.S. mentioned above? I would gladly reciprocate.
    Have you heard Katatonia? You might dig them. Very heavy, but not really proggy.. very dark and depressing lyrics, no grunts or barks.. their vocalist actually sings, though not the high register opera stuff either.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Murder of Crows

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Hey Dave,

Check out Dead Soul Tribe. I do think you might like them. They've got a nice metal vibe without being overly bombastic. Melodic, clean vocals. Their s/t first release is the better of the two releases although A Murdur Of Crows has some good moments.

Darren
    I have that second Dead Soul Tribe, and it is pretty good, but doesn't break any new ground. It is listenable and likeable, but there's better stuff out there. The one tune that sticks out is one near the end of the disk that has violin on it, if I remember correctly.

I like them too, though it may just be a mid-life thing

They do evoke certain feelings and a particular mindset, but being in my late 30s, the gratuitus swearing makes me whince at times (and makes them sound 'bush').

And I wrote nearly the same things a couple of months ago about the spoiled, middle income malcontented brat, who "sing" rap 'n' roll. I also tire of the well meaning but equally boring shoe gazers who still wear flannel shirts tied around their waist. Like I said before, their next album will make or break them.

DPM

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a great rock 'n' roll scream as much as the next person. Afterall, I'm a big Ian Gillan fan. I just feel screams and growling should be used for added color so to speak. A little spice in the sauce can make the meal, but too much can ruin it.

Dave M

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPM
    I'll take six hours of falsetto...over 5 minutes of the rapp/shrieking/death growl B.S. that passes for hard rock/metal vocals these days. Give me melody or give me deaf.
    That's a great line. I completely concur. Although, unfortunately, most of the most interesting metal has little to lame vocalists. (Case in point, Opeth, Ephel Duath, The Crown, etc.) Your best bet is to find ones with femme vox, but even that isn't safe (case in point, Arch Enemy).

Here's a couple worth trying (all male vox):
    While Heaven Wept (technically, it's doom metal)
    godhead (don't know what to call them -- goth, perhaps, but their early two albums -- Nothingness and Power Tool Stygmata are definitely metalish in the Nine Inch Nails/Ministry vein.)
    Symphony X (I think they sing -- pretty sure...someone confirm or deny...PS they "Power metal" -- all that viking stuff...)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information