Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    If I was a Beatles fan-boy I would say everything they did was great. But I think the Let It Be album sucks.
    The Let It Be album was compromised. I reckon John Lennon made a great mistake when he got Phil Spector to add all those strings and choirs. All the same, there were some great songs on that album.

The Let It Be Naked version (who chose that title?) is much better, in my opinion. At last, we get to hear the Long and Winding Road as it always should have been, a simple ballad, without all that Phil Spector pollution. The remix has really lifted the audio quality too. I just wish they would do something similar for the White Album.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Yeah, who here said anything about hating the Beatles?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    It's not that folks don't recognise that it was solid stuff, there's just things that many would prefer to listen to.
    No hatin' necessary
    . Besides, we know how great they were...you guys keep reminding us. Kurt Loder alone makes mention of it once a month, on the off weeks when Oasis isn't the King of the Hill.

This I believe.
    You have such a diplomatic way of paraphrasing...3 Kexticles for you
    @@@

Seriously, this has become one of the more interesting threads in some time, and look the, subject was fairly typical web-forum stuff. I hope nobody's taking my posts as accusations of Beatles snobbery (does that even exist?), but it's a bit baffling that one can enjoy the music, but less than Dylan, and be accused of being a Beatles hater? I'm equally baffled that I can somehow like them, but not enough to really understand their influence. Sounds like my dad telling me how much I don't appreciate the value of a dollar, and how Coke ain't the same...

I wonder if gospel and rag-time fans crap on the jazz afficianados today for not really getting the music?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    @@@
    What am I, chopped freakin' liver??? Spread the luv Beatle squisher!
    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    I wonder if gospel and rag-time fans crap on the jazz afficianados today for not really getting the music?
    Maybe not, but I'll bet rap fans crap on rock fans and vice versa for the same reason.

That's a point that makes more sense than any...

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    But the likes of Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly had a much, much more narrow range and were not in the ballpark when it came to making new music that opens new possibilites. And I actually like that sort of post-psych, pre-prog era in the late 60's inhabited by Floyd, Soft Machine, Family, the Moodys, Iron Butterfly, tons of stuff. But all that was done against the background radiation of what the Beatles had been throwing down every few months for years. I think the people who said the Beatles didn't rock hard enough just had a stricter view of what rock was supposed to be.
    ...in the Beatles argument. They were leaders and the rest were followers. That's not to say the rest didn't merit or have any of their own ideas, but everything revolved around the blokes from Liverpool, akin to fashion trend-setters (that's another area where they influenced people...fashion and hairstyles). While this isn't the case in recent times, I've read tons of record reviews in the past that would describe the music as 'Beatle-esque', and how some bands were deemed the second-coming of the Beatles, (Badfinger, Klaatu...) like that was every going to happen.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    @@@

Seriously, this has become one of the more interesting threads in some time, and look the, subject was fairly typical web-forum stuff. I hope nobody's taking my posts as accusations of Beatles snobbery (does that even exist?), but it's a bit baffling that one can enjoy the music, but less than Dylan, and be accused of being a Beatles hater? I'm equally baffled that I can somehow like them, but not enough to really understand their influence. Sounds like my dad telling me how much I don't appreciate the value of a dollar, and how Coke ain't the same...

Coke sure ain't the same. Duh....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

No, but you jumped off the Eagles bandwagon...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    What am I, chopped freakin' liver??? Spread the luv Beatle squisher!
    ...and need to be punished for this Cardinal sin. Now drop and give me twenty!
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    No problem Swish! What has to touch the ground first, my nose or my belly?

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...and need to be punished for this Cardinal sin. Now drop and give me twenty!
    Nice play on bird words there my non-feathered friend.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Right on the ball, as per usual, GM.

Just starting to come out of the fog that was my holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    The Let It Be album was compromised.
    The main problem is it was lame to begin with. There's a reason they shelved it in '69 and moved on. I never heard the Nekkid version but I've got a pro sounding boot of the original mix Glyn Johns did that year. It's better but it's totally uninspired as a whole, especially compared to Abbey Road a few months later.

Q: What's the difference between naked and nekkid?

A: Depends on what you're doing.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Just starting to come out of the fog that was my holiday season.
    Glad to hear it. You didn't describe what the sickness was, but at least you have AR.com to take your mind offa things ya know?

Glad to hear it. You didn't describe what the sickness was, but at least you have AR.com to take your mind offa things ya know?
    Just a high fever that lasted two weeks. Even after I got "better" I still didn't feel right.
    Feel about 90% better now.

....about the same time 'e started sniffin' roses....

You just miss looking into my eyes.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You just miss looking into my eyes.
    Me too.

Now you get to look at my flower in all it's blooming glory.

Suspended
    I did NOT need that mental image! :vomit:

But to get back OT, WOW! Glyn Johns. He was a producer right? I'm certain I'd seen that name on many albums in years past right?

Ack!!

But to get back OT, WOW! Glyn Johns. He was a producer right? I'm certain I'd seen that name on many albums in years past right?
    Who's Next immediately comes to mind.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information