• 04-01-2005, 02:16 PM
    3-LockBox
    Going To California//Disneyline
    Taking my kids to Disneyline next week, and yes I know, its spring break for most of the country so its going to be crowded. Gonna take my portable CD player, maybe a good book to read. (any good music related recs?)

We're traveling by car (minivan) down I-5 cuz airfare is still prohibitive in my case. Plus I hate the isolation of having no car. I'm actually looking forward to Disneyline, because I do like the rides there, but I hate the thought of actually being there and literally vomiting money left and right. Boy this place is expensive!

Anyone here know of any good, yet cheap hotels in the area? I've done a search, but just in case you guys know the turf better than the web, throw me a bone please.

Thanx

3LB
  • 04-01-2005, 03:04 PM
    Troy
    The Candy Cane Inn used to be one of the cheap motels outside the gate. There used to be a bunch, but when they expanded the park MouseInc. bought all those properties and tore them down . . .
  • 04-01-2005, 05:33 PM
    Woochifer
    If you're a AAA member, go down to your local office and grab one of their SoCal tourbooks. That should give you the most current rates, ratings on the various motels, and some coupons as well. I thought that spring break for most of the country was THIS week, so maybe you'll luck out and get some off-peak room rates.

Another option is of course to look something up on hotels.com or similar lodging sites.

I used to work in that area, but haven't driven down there in years, so I have no idea what's still standing and what's turned into a roach motel. There are plenty of motels adjacent to the park (half of the hotel rooms in all of Orange County are in Anaheim), but I have no idea how much they charge or how good they are. The plentiful Best Western hotels are usually a good bet, but the room rates will vary a lot. Keep in mind that Garden Grove and Orange are very close to Disneyland, so you could also check the listings for those neighboring communities as well. I recall that they weren't that expensive, but a lot of them weren't that great either. Since you're saving on airfare, why not splurge a little on the accommodations? You could try something close to the beach for a change of pace.
  • 04-01-2005, 05:34 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy
    The Candy Cane Inn used to be one of the cheap motels outside the gate. There used to be a bunch, but when they expanded the park MouseInc. bought all those properties and tore them down . . .

Geez, I used to pass by there almost everyday! I think there was also the Alpine Inn and Lamplighter Inn on that side of the street. I remember a lot of streetwork going on around there when California Adventure was about to open. I remember some motels dottting the edge of the old Disneyland parking lot, I guess those are the ones that got cleared to make way for the new park.