Giant Sand Is All Over The Map

"Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Tolstoys"? Fecking brilliant. One track is already on the comp I'm working on (not that one, though).
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Hey, I just picked up the new Giant Sand myself but haven't listened to it yet. Good to hear both you and Sloshy are so high on it. I have listened to the Vetiver disc I picked up at the same time and it's pretty nice. Not quite as eclectic as Devendra Banhart's own stuff (he's one of the main performers, playing second guitar on most songs and singing backup and cowriting a couple songs with main guy Andy Cabic) but still very nice. Got a vibe a little along the lines of Slowdive, but more folkie. Guitar, banjo, cello, violin with the occasional drums, piano and even harp. Pretty fine job by all involved, even if it's not the most distinctive thing you've ever heard

Playing the Giant Sand as I type. And it is indeed all over the map, stylistically. That's a compliment, BTW. As for Vetiver, yup, I like- picked it up in May and spin it at least weekly. Definitely more accessible than Banhart's solo work- the new one, Nino Rojo, is very good- a continuation of Rejoicing. For that matter, I think I read somewhere that both of those came out of the same recording session.

OT: They finally managed a pop-up that gets through

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    As for Vetiver, yup, I like- picked it up in May and spin it at least weekly. Definitely more accessible than Banhart's solo work...
    Yeah, I fingered you'd probably have it so didn't bother with a search. I can definitely see myself pulling this one out on a regular basis for a long time. The description was just out of habit since there doesn't seem to be many here that share our taste for the avant folkies. That, and I like the old lithograph look of the cover and liner notes too

I figger I'll be getting hate mail from Slosh in the next couple of days for forcing some of that avant stuff into a package headed his way. Hehehee.

Thread Information