Forum Regular

Rush concert review

Well I am recuperating from last night.

Rush hit the stage at 7:35 and played until about 11PM.

It was hot as crap and loud as heck.

The sound system was fair. In my $80.00 dollar seat, you could barely hear Alex and there was some sort of horrible noise/distortion going on, plus there was an overpowering aroma of human vomit. So I tolerated this for about 20 minutes and went out back to the general admission lawn seats. It sounded a lot better back there and it didn't stink plus there was a tiny breeze too.

They played 3 or 4 of the songs off of the new "covers" album and started the gig with a 10 minute "medly" of snippets from 5 or 6 songs.

They played the Trees, Wheels, 2 "unplugged" songs, and so forth. I can't ever recall "songs".

Neil was spot on as always and he had a gold drum set, never saw that one before. Geddy's voice was a little harsh, due to the heat and humidity but still pretty good. His bass sound was pretty good, but I think that was part of the distortion.

Anyway it was good but I think I've just about had enough of these large concerts.

Dave

Forum Regular

where ?

WTF is the Hi Fi Buys Ampitheater ?

Sorry you did not enjoy this show as much as expected.

Sounds like you should just buy the DVD next time.

Are you sure that it was human vomit? I mean, you can't really dust for vomit, ya know.

Maybe they'll move to Branson some day and open a little air conditioned club and play there every night for the blue hair years. Won't that be nice?

Forum Regular
    The venue is this large "outdoor" place where there is a giant V wedge that is covered and has sidewalls in case it rains, and the other 50% of the place is uncovered grass area where all the partying goes on at.

Ya it was human vomit, it smelled so bad it almost made me hurl. The whole place was disgusting for the most part, the restrooms were equally as appaling.

I'm thinking of contacting the place but what good will that do?

Anyway ya I'm pretty much over these types of gigs anymore. Too much hassle and distractions and all for me.

Tonite is Finn at the awsome Variety Playhouse. Would like to go.

Dave

shame

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Anyway ya I'm pretty much over these types of gigs anymore. Too much hassle and distractions and all for me.
    Dave
    Bummer, eighty schekels and being amped for a good show only to be let down sux.
    That's why you need to go to Nearfest. Eighty five for two days, venue is clean, comfortable, most everyone is polite, informative and practically zero aholes. Most of the bands have a meet and greet after their slot and you can get autographs if you want.
    ---End of NFest Advertisement--

Seems like most bands are costing upwards of eighty nowadaze. The music industry exec's are targeting concerts as a revenue source since CD purchases aren't filling the coffers enough. Fleetwood Mac is coming to my area, never seen them, but the ticket price is making me pause and think - do I want to see them that much? Plus the venue is just like the one you describe, part pavilion, part outdoor with the lunatic fringe thinking the ticket purchase gives them a temporary licence to be a complete douce. I've gotten picky picky about where I'll go and how much I spring for. Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchity ?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks for the review Dave. Wow, 3.5 hours. That's cool! How long was the intermission?

I'm sorry that the evening didn't turn out as well as you had hoped. I hope that my Rush experience, in a few weeks, is better than yours.

If it makes you feel any better, we bought our tickets from a pre-sale off of the Rush web site and paid $95.00 US + service charges. After the exchange, we ended up paying $135 Canadian per ticket. OUCH!

Here's what I found unusual. Canadian band. Canadian location. US ticketing outlet. US dollars.

DPM

I hope I have a better time

I'm going to NYC for five days in August. While there I'll be catching Rush on the 18th. The last time I caught their show was the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They were excellent (of course).

I'm also going to see a triple bill featuring Joe Satriani, Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple at Jones Beach on the 15th. My prior experiences seeing Satriani were the Surfing With The Alien tour in '87 at The Bottom Line and an opening slot for Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Pier (not too long before SRV passed away).

Deep Purple I've also seen twice--both times in Pittsburgh and both times with Morse on guitar. The first tour was for Purpendicular while the other was their first with Don Airey on keys.

As for Thin Lizzy, without Phil Lynot the band's name doesn't carry quite the same weight. Still, maybe he'll be there in spirit.

DM

Forum Regular
    Dave G said:

"Anyway it was good but I think I've just about had enough of these large concerts."

Same here. Ticket prices are ridiculous and can't possibly make up for the distractions at bigger venues. I saw Yes in Lowell, Ma and I suffered from the usual annoyances of other peoples' back and forth in the aisles, cell phones and so forth. They filmed the gig for DVD. It wasn't a stellar performance and they are going to have to do a lot of cleaning up to make it a proper DVD.

Forum Regular
    Hey DPM,

I think the Thin Lizzy gig will be incredible. Let us (me) know, I would love to be able to go see them.

Dave

Forum Regular
    F.A.,

The intermission was quick, maybe 20 minutes.

I know that if I was able to have a better seat I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Have fun!

Dave

Thread Information