• 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM
    thereyet
    Ghostland Observatory anyone?
    It seems I saw a thread about this but can't find it anywhere. Just saw them last night on ACL and have to admit after the first five minutes of shock, I DIG THESE TWO GUYS! Yeah, I know, I am usually the last one to the party, but better late then never. The singer takes up the whole stage so I can see why the band is only a duo. Not ever been one much for electronica but...what else am I missing out on? Honestly, it took me about ten minutes to figure out if the singer was male or female, not that that really mattered.

I gotta get down to Austin one of these days.

thereyet
  • 07-20-2008, 01:55 PM
    bobsticks
    Yes, yes, I'm all about the boys from Ghostland. Robotique Majestique is a great album with strong cuts through and through, no filler. Never seen 'em before but if they make it up this way it wouldn't take much persuasion.

You might want to check out Blackstrobe and The Presets as well.
  • 07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
    thereyet
    Wouldn't take much persausion here either.
    I ran over to the line-up list for Lollapalooza to see if I had missed them on there, but sadly, no...they won't be there.

thereyet
  • 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
    thereyet
    Hey Bobsticks
    Going to see Ghostland Observatory Friday night at the Filmore. Will let you know what I thought after.

Cheers,

thereyet
  • 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thereyet
    Going to see Ghostland Observatory Friday night at the Filmore. Will let you know what I thought after.

Cheers,

thereyet

Kewl. Do come back and review. I'll be interested to read about the dynamic duo and their antics.
  • 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
    thereyet
    Gostland at the Filmore
    With elbows on the stage and having waited for a loooong time while listening to three really bad DJs playing 80s disco music...and pissing me and my son off, GO came out with a BANG! I am not good at recalling what came where but do recall the high lights for me. As a two piece electro-rock band, it left a lot of room on stage for Aaron Behrens (singer and sometimes guitar player) to groove and dance on the full stage. He has a great affinity for getting up close and personal with his audience. In stunner shades, Navajo brades, Western shirt, jeans, and cowboy boots. This guy has some unique poses and moves. His rapid fire, high pitched vocals, odd one fingered adjustments of his shades and poses were highly entertaining.

On what can only be described as a Yamaha space ship was a geeky guy in a floor length, "attack from Mars" cape, Thomas Turner. This guy provides nearly all of the sounds of the band and was very impressive with his mastery of the small amount of equipment in front of him. His sound worked very well with the tandem laser light machines flanking the stage. The fog machines enhanced the laser effect. Part way into their ninety minute set they hit their stride with "sad, sad city" "vibrate" "stranger love" "dancing on my gave" "free heart lover". By this time my ears were seriously ringing. After a short break they came back for a short encore set highlighted by a rocking version of "silver city". There were a couple of interludes featuring Thomas Turner's space aged radical synthesizer work. He also sat at the drum kit for a couple of numbers when Aaron was on guitar. His guitar work was not memorable, but worked well with the electronic sound that is the signature of the band. All in all, very entertaining. I would have appreciated a lead off band or at the very least, a decent DJ. But I can't complain too much because, as my son said while walking back to the car, "I guess I didn't mind all that waiting after all, because they really kicked right from the start!" Couldn't have said it better my self.

thereyet
  • 10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
    bobsticks
    Very nice. I'd seen some vids of 'em and kinda assumed it was a minimalist but high-energy show. I also came away with the impression that it was extremely loud which you have as much as confirmed.

Good deal. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if they make it around to my neck of the woods.
  • 10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
    thereyet
    I did kinda wish I had put those stupid sponge things in my ears about 2/3 the way through the show. But I figured "what the hell" I already messed up my hearing many years ago.

I do really like it when your clothes vibrate on your bod when things really get amped up.

thereyet