Rae

Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me

Anybody heard this one yet? Sir Slider? It seems to be garnering some pretty stellar reviews. I may have to just go pick it up sound unheard, but I thought I would see if anyone here had gotten their hands on a copy-- it'll at least go on my "you should probably pick this up at some point" wishlist somewhere in between Electrelane and The Stage Names.

~Rae

I heard a couple songs from it, been awhile now. I do love her, but honestly felt a little distracting at first with the drums filling in many of the spaces, and I do have her other three four records, so thought I'd probably pass, at least for now. But yea, Albini, Nastasia, White and Gudjonsson, should be good. So pulled up the 2 songs I downloaded, and listening fresh, and maybe I do need this, kind of similar to her first one Dogs which did use more percussion, not like this, which is much more dramatic sounding, but ... hmmm.

I Write Down Lists
    The Day I Would Bury You
    Last edited by Davey; 08-20-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Rae
    Bump. This record is still great.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    This record is still great.
    This record is still not mine. But I have been listening a lot recently to a cool little record from the band The Hotel Alexis from last year called "Goliath, I'm On Your Side". Kind of a mix of the low key fractured pop and folk sound of Sparklehorse and Califone. Also reminds me some of that Tracker "Polk" with its dusty, quirky soundscapes ...

It rained on your army
    in that soft, soft war
    and I’m not sorry
    anymore

Will she come willing
    or should I drag her down
    we'll make a killing
    anyhow

She comes in and
    it’s all I need right now
    lights on the highway
    darkness in town
    in town

http://www.wirenh.com/Music/CD_revie...701161878.html

I got nothing here, really, but I wanted to post just to get that *****y nag reminder about posting off my screen every time I come by.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    mmm...I have The Blackened Air and its a frequent entry in my random play mix while I'm working in the studio. I just saw this today on vinyl for pretty cheap (at Treehouse) but faltered. Mistake?...it's remained on my list but haven't yet bit the bullet.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    I just saw this today on vinyl for pretty cheap (at Treehouse) but faltered.
    Get it. Dan can vouch for me that I have been bugging him for a copy forever and it's been extremely scarce. I'm surprised that they still have any in stock.

~Rae

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Get it. Dan can vouch for me that I have been bugging him for a copy forever and it's been extremely scarce. I'm surprised that they still have any in stock.

~Rae
    Ja, tis true. It's been driving me crazy because this is the first thing that I've looked for that my little audio oasis can't come up with. Snatch it while you can.

NP:

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    alright already...got it! At this early point, this is one sweet lil' album. Only about a half hour of music but I'm really diggin' it. The drums are pretty melodramatic...so much that they almost create the space of a hip-hop groove... but one that's appropriate to Nina N.'s stylings. i guess i mean that it creates its own context and- seemingly - physical space, for the music to exist in. The lack of other instrumentation doesn't bother me and it still has a sorta gothic-ness i like. don't know how the cd sounds, but the vlnyl is exquisite.

Thread Information