Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Geldof starting to piss me off

Jeez, who elected Bob Geldof to be a bigger pompous ass than Bono?

Yesterday he issued a video clip telling Canadians that their prime minister shouldn't bother showing up to the G8 summit meeting if he doesn't commit more Canadian tax dollars to foreign aid.

Here's Geldof: "There's no use your Prime Minister coming to Scotland unless he's prepared to do this deal. If he's not prepared, [then] stay at home. Just stay at home. Don't come. You're not welcome unless you're prepared to do something finally and irrevocably on behalf of the poor of this world."

Today, the Canadian government gives $3 billion per year in poverty aid relief. Geldof, who has never held an elected position in Canada, wants the government to contribute $15 billion per year.

And where does that money come from? Working people like me. Yet the live 8 promoters in Canada, and I assume other countries, are asking individuals NOT to donate money, that their money isn't welcome. So these economic retards want the government to use their legal monopoly on force to confiscate my earnings from my paycheck and send it for relief aid. That's a loser's approach to solving this issue.

I don't need any more proof that this whole thing is a publicity stunt to "raise awareness." How useless is that. I think they're afraid to ask for donations because most people won't support their cause with monetary contributions, so let the government do it. That's not commitment.

The Canadian prime minister basically told Geldof to shove it up his ass, although he said it much more diplomatically.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Jeez, who elected Bob Geldof to be a bigger pompous ass than Bono?

Yesterday he issued a video clip telling Canadians that their prime minister shouldn't bother showing up to the G8 summit meeting if he doesn't commit more Canadian tax dollars to foreign aid.

Here's Geldof: "There's no use your Prime Minister coming to Scotland unless he's prepared to do this deal. If he's not prepared, [then] stay at home. Just stay at home. Don't come. You're not welcome unless you're prepared to do something finally and irrevocably on behalf of the poor of this world."

Today, the Canadian government gives $3 billion per year in poverty aid relief. Geldof, who has never held an elected position in Canada, wants the government to contribute $15 billion per year.

And where does that money come from? Working people like me. Yet the live 8 promoters in Canada, and I assume other countries, are asking individuals NOT to donate money, that their money isn't welcome. So these economic retards want the government to use their legal monopoly on force to confiscate my earnings from my paycheck and send it for relief aid. That's a loser's approach to solving this issue.

I don't need any more proof that this whole thing is a publicity stunt to "raise awareness." How useless is that. I think they're afraid to ask for donations because most people won't support their cause with monetary contributions, so let the government do it. That's not commitment.

The Canadian prime minister basically told Geldof to shove it up his ass, although he said it much more diplomatically.
    Couldn't agree more. As a nation Canada contributes among the highest amounts to foreign add relative their GDP. But as long as there's problems at home to fix I don't begrudge any country or government for looking after their own.

Who in the hell is Bob Geldof anyway? He's got more vested interests in continuing these "charity concerts" than any poor nation does. Impartial philanthropist indeed.

"Hey, a bunch of countries made some big messes for themselves - what are YOU going to do to fix it for them? $3 billion? That's not enough! Don't even bother."

That'd be like a boyscout collecting for UNICEF throwing your dollar back at you and slapping you in the face.

Wuss

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Couldn't agree more.

That rhymes with 'puss'. And that's what Geldof and his ilk are. Given that talk is cheap, the LEAST he could do is ask the dictators and mass murders who run those two-bit African nations and enforcing starvation and ignorance on their people to take their stolen money and retire to Paris, and let freedom reign in Africa.

If only his mission were for something as noble as freedom and a real solution to the problem. Instead he is an enabler for more genocide and an angel of death by assuming the role of spokesperson for these thugs that if only the west would send more money, things might be better. He KNOWS where that money is going to go. Probably from the U.N. right into a swiss bank account. It's not like we're dealing in these countries with people of integrity. Most of that tsunami money still hasn't been used to help anybody, and that was real disaster with money funnelled through legitimate agencies! And what about Batswana who was offered $300 million in aid from Canada just two months ago and told our Prime Minister to shove it. These braindead dictatorial numbskulls aren't bleeding heart liberals interested in life. They are wacko psychos knee deep in death worship.

Geldof should have learned last time that other people's money won't solve this problem. But it did get him a knighthood so he chum with a real pop musical genius like Elton John and others. (Didn't he have fewer hits than Boy George?)

Anybody under the age of 25 has probably never heard his one hit, which mostly got air play in North America because it was controversial.

And here in part is Paul Martin, Canada's prime minister's response: "The problem with international policy is that, too often, commitments are made on the grounds of photo ops, and I will not do that." At least that shows some integrity.

"

Barry you are spot on

If only his mission were for something as noble as freedom and a real solution to the problem. Instead he is an enabler for more genocide and an angel of death by assuming the role of spokesperson for these thugs that if only the west would send more money, things might be better. He KNOWS where that money is going to go. Probably from the U.N. right into a swiss bank account. It's not like we're dealing in these countries with people of integrity. Most of that tsunami money still hasn't been used to help anybody, and that was real disaster with money funnelled through legitimate agencies! And what about Batswana who was offered $300 million in aid from Canada just two months ago and told our Prime Minister to shove it. These braindead dictatorial numbskulls aren't bleeding heart liberals interested in life. They are wacko psychos knee deep in death worship. "
    That was a strong post and every word of it drips with truth. There are people in this country and in this world who thrive off other peoples' poverty by perpetuating it; by insisting that countries dump money into third world nations without means to insure that the funds are used for its intended purpose if fool hardy at best. Either people like Geldof are severly ignorrant, or they're merely feeding a machine that keeps them in business. Its very suspicious indeed.

I know people who say that the US should do more to help impoverished nations and who aren't going to profit from the endeavor. It sounds good... "Yeah, I watched Live Aid...I bought the 'We Are The World' record." But this mentality is nothing more than symbolism over substance. No matter how passionate people are about world hunger, they're just down right stupid if they think the money isn't going into these dictators pockets.

Your prime minister is right to brush off such criticism.

42 Regular
    I'll reserve comment on Mr. Geldoff for now. I'd just like to shamelessly shill once again for two excellent organizations who actually do some good in the world. There are far worse things you could do with your money than to give some of it to AmeriCares or MercyCorps.

www.americares.com
    www.mercycorps.com

< / threadjack>
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I saw this story on the news last night and thought the same as Barry. Although he did a much better job of expressing this than I could have.

I actually cheered at PM Martin's response. Something that I don't do lightly.

BTW, who exactly is paying for these little "awareness" gigs that are being played all over the world? Apparently, tickets are free, so they aren't even self-funding. Someone's got to be paying to put on the event.

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    BTW, who exactly is paying for these little "awareness" gigs that are being played all over the world? Apparently, tickets are free, so they aren't even self-funding. Someone's got to be paying to put on the event.
    I'll bet you a zillion to one that it's you and me, the taxpayer. Yeah, there's talk about a promoter in all of this, but I bet he's not volunteering his time. And it won't surprise me one bit to learn that the bands are also being paid more than market wages to perform on such short notice.

I'm not saying that they don't deserve to be paid, but by not being up front about it, it's pretty dishonest. That's why the government shouldn't be involved in this sort of stuff. And why are we doing it? Why is our government funding a global G-8 day of protest with your money and mine when we're part of the G-8. If the taxpayer is going to fund it, then the Prime Minister should stay home. How can you go to the Summit meeting while funding protests against it?

Of course, I may be wrong about who is funding it, but I doubt it. I think when the final tally was in for the Toronto SARS conert, the taxpayers were left with a bill of about four or five million dollars. There was another farce, but at least the attendies had to pay something to attend. This one is just one giant welfare program to serve egos out of control.

I always liked the Boomtown Rats. Mondo Bongo is my favorite album of theirs...even though I'm pretty sure most folks think it sucks.

tear down the wall
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Heck yes,let those poor people that had nothing to do with there problem suffer and die somemore. That must be what they deserve,right? We ***** and moan about gas prices and they are sleeping on a dirt floor. Sure the gov is screwed up. Poor Canada,feelings hurt? Dont worry, the US will help protect you. Geldoff is doing just what he needs to do to get more money. If it takes pissing off a nation,i'm sure he could care less if he gets the money. I dont see any of us stepping up to take on what he has or is there someone on here doing that?
    Look & Listen

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Heck yes,let those poor people that had nothing to do with there problem suffer and die somemore. That must be what they deserve,right? We ***** and moan about gas prices and they are sleeping on a dirt floor. Sure the gov is screwed up. Poor Canada,feelings hurt? Dont worry, the US will help protect you. Geldoff is doing just what he needs to do to get more money. If it takes pissing off a nation,i'm sure he could care less if he gets the money. I dont see any of us stepping up to take on what he has or is there someone on here doing that?
    Nobody is saying that these people shouldn't be helped. But publicly and globally trying to humiliate the leader of one of the G8 countries isn't the way to go about it.

These concerts aren't going to help anybody that's in need. If money is the way to help then make the shows fund raisers. Hundreds of thousands of people will attend these shows in person. Millions will watch them on TV. Charge $50 or $100 a ticket. Have a telethon. How much money do you think they could raise?

But they aren't doing that? Why not? Instead, these concerts are to increase 'awareness'. I said it before and I'll say it again. "Okay, we're aware. Now what?"

Geldof is no hero. In fact, after yesterday's comments, I'd say he's a bully.

Shameful...

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    What's shameful is that we in Canada barely have an army that can fight. We think we have an army so we can help in humaitarian ways. The purpose of an army is to defend the rights of its citizens and keep them safe from enemies. When Quebec had an ice storm a few years ago, we had to get the U.S. army to transport our army into Quebec to help out. Our contribution to North American defense is shameful.

As to the other issue, Geldof is not being helpful. It is not the poor people's fault that they are poor and starving. So who should do something about it. Why don't western aid contributors and the U.N. demand the overthrow of those governments that let this happen? There is no reason for these people to be starving. They are being led by murderous dicators. I haven't heard Geldof take a moral stance against the leaders of these countries. Why not?

As for your opinion that "Geldof is just doing what he needs to do to get more money" I say that that's the problem. For me, how you get the money matters. The premise here is that the money belongs to the politicians. Sorry, that money was mine, and belongs to me. Why doesn't Geldof ask individuals to contribute? Because he supports the view that the time, money, brains, and productivity of individuals belong to the government. He supports the view that our Prime Minister should just take more money from its citizens, up to $30 billion more over the next six years, and give it to his pet cause. F-him. It's not his money, and he is immoral for even asking. Geldof is a coward, that's what he is. F.A. is right about his bullying behavior. Like he arranged the G-8 summit and can issue commands about who should or shouldn't attend. The man's a dolt, and his behaviour reflects that.

Here's what Geldof should do. He should use these concerts to raise awareness that the U.N., and by implication, all governments and U.N. diplomats, sanction and approve the starvation of these people. He should lobby that the U.N. put together an army of volunteer nations and give the leaders of those countries who let their people starve and participate in mass genecide and infringe upon the natural rights to their citizens that they have 72 hours to leave town. Now that would show some respect for justice and human rights and human suffering.

What poor people don't deserve is Bob Geldof pretending he is actually doing something to help them.

Countires that embrace free markets and individual rights don't have famines and embrace help from others. What we're dealing with in every case in Africa where there are famines are criminal governments.

And Canada would volunteer peacekeepers for when the military actions were over.

Forum Regular

hey

Now Barry.............

If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times --

Never trust anyone that fu-kks up his eyebrows with razor blades.

Forum Regular

Bravo!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good to hear some Canadians shedding some light on the UN hypocrisy.

Now, you want a good laugh? Check this out...Geldof and Bono have been sticking up for Bush because of his efforts in Africa! That must make him about as popular as a skin disease amongst his peers. LOL!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by daigoro
    Now, you want a good laugh? Check this out...Geldof and Bono have been sticking up for Bush because of his efforts in Africa! That must make him about as popular as a skin disease amongst his peers. LOL!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html
    That's funny. It started out as a G8 protest and might end as a G8 love-fest. Here's a thought, what if musicians who agreed to perform now start to boycott the concerts because they don't want to have to suck-up to comandant Geldof? Or what if those wacko anti-globalization nihilists start protesting at the concerts to get live TV attention? Man, this could be mayhem, especially in countries like France.

This is just starting to get intersting. Call the spin-doctors. Geldof needs help quickly before the whole thing unravels.

Maybe Geldof can write a song about it when it's all over.

Smile I Don't Like Mondays......

Hey, Barry.

Thanks for shaking things up with your thought-provoking thread.

Makes me think and wonder.

Cheers,
    Bill

Re

Here's what Geldof should do. He should use these concerts to raise awareness that the U.N., and by implication, all governments and U.N. diplomats, sanction and approve the starvation of these people.
    I'm betting you may have yer tongue at least partially planted in your cheek here? LOL. Like just when has the UN ever (really) cared about rights violations & such? When Syria & Iraq (Saddam) were on the UN Human Rights commission? LOL. I'm afraid making the UN hypocricy more well known (via media etc) would have little effect... tyrants, and their servants in the UN have little regard toward public opinion. Most of these countries band together without any pretext in a corrupt manner, to keep their own riches & power flowing while their countries people strarve (or worse). The UN delegates are "supossedly" representing their people, but they actually represent their country's government, which is in most cases is a tryanical one... dictators with rich bank accounts (Idi Amin was their poster boy).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    These concerts aren't going to help anybody that's in need.
    Worse than that... they may very well make things worse... at least that's the track record. It's a classic representation of unintended consequenses.

Most African countries are (communist) tyranies. Their people end up much like those in the Soviet Union or Communist China... at best poverty, at worse slave camps, starvation or outright genocide. Between our lousy media, and aversion to news (that isn't celebrity driven), we tend to live our busy lives with nary a care. So, I'll at least give Geldof & pals some credit for giving the issue some ink. But whether it ends up doing any good (in even the short run), is highly debateable. It's a good bet it'll make things worse.

It reminds me of a similar form of faulty "logic" ...taking only half a treatment of antibiotics; ie... stopping taking the pills after the first 5 days instead of the proscribed 10 or 12. You feel fine after 5, but stopping lets the bacteria regroup, and you end up in much more serious distress, even death. Tyrants are not that different in their behavior than bacteria, and a little history will bear that out. What's worse, they usually steal any temporary positive benefits, everything from food to cash. Then they punish those that DID get help, as a "lesson" to "who's the boss".

And here's where my cynicism peaks. To many young people, this can be more an excercise in brainwashed (of a sort). My most cynical response from this is that it's (also) designed to convert young naive teens (OTHERWISE uninterested in politics, history, and governmental policy), to the political left. Namely, that this (method) of throwing MONEY at problems willy nilly is the solution to ALL MANNER of social & political problems. That caring & intentions is equal to results... that money is equal to hard work or fighting &/or revolution... and that elites know better, have all the solutions, and can make the world better if only we listen to them (their belief structure).

Economist Thomas Sowell got into this "elite" thinking in his book The Vision of the Anointed... Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy. In it, he uses data & facts to show how certain social policies have led to disasters by following such "good feeling" & "politically correct" thinking, instead of dealing with empirical facts. It goes to (a large extent) the heart of many liberal vs conservative politcal debates today. (I'm a libertarian). Sowell focuses on how such elites lead PC thinking... in the popular culture, universities & government. Geldof & MANY others like him with big media sway (Hollywood, Pols in Wash DC, Music & other celebrity types) are represented as "good"... and conservatives are seen as "bad".

Conservatives tend to believe political power has a natural corupting inertia... that power (laws, regs, restrictions) tend to result in greater taxes and less freedom for more people. Sowell was a lefty socialist when young, but gradually learned during his study of economics (he's a PHD), that reality has consequences and too often such politcal (leftist) policy is folly. His book skewers many, my fave being Ralph Nader, but here's a sample:

Sowell on "elites":
    I think my favorite is Paul Ehrlich because he has been so consistently wrong on so many things. One, predicting mass starvation, I think it was in the '70s or the '80s. But predicting that we're running out of -- running low on resources. And Julian Simon made this famous bet with him that he would offer to bet anybody a thousand dollars that they could name a set of resources and name a period of time, and at the end of that period of time, those resources would not be more expensive, as they would be if they were really running low, but would be either stationary or falling in real terms. And Ehrlich rushed in with his list of 10 resources, and he decided we'd come back at the end of 10 years. At the end of 10 years, not only was the bundle of 10 resources cheaper in real terms than it was before, every single resource he named was cheaper.

Now, what's REALLY ironic here, is that the only way to guarantee better conditions in Africa, is to get political stablility... and the only way to do that is by military force... which is exactly the opposite thinking of such political elites. There's a well-timed editorial today by Charles Krauthammer. In it he discusses the fact Democrats just voted against aid to Central America (CAFTA). He precisely zero's in on the reasons for recent but largely past poverty in China & India, and how exactly such trade policy (like CAFTA here) has done more to raise living standards in India & China than ANY of the sort of "aid" Geldof & other elites (largely leftists) think is so coold... (the "money down a rat-hole" approach). Whatever your political views, there are economic laws (David Ricardo in 1871, as Krauthhammer states in his piece) that are worth learning.

As to Africa... just like Reagan was right about FIRST getting stable democratic governments in Central America before you could help the people with poverty & disease (through trade), it's no different with Africa. Unfortunately I have little hope the UN has much stomach for military force there, and the US would be pilloried even more if IT were to do so. Meanwhile we'll have elites like Geldof throwing his & other people's money down rat-holes and into secret Swiss bank acounts.

...The warning came after Geldof insisted that President George W Bush had done more for Africa than any other American leader.
    Yeah, he's throwing billions of our (& my) tax dollars down their rat-holes too....LOL. But does anyone have any idea of the aids reasearch & help many big Pharma companies have given (gratis) to many African countries? Probably not, as that would make capitalism look good. If you're right, you're wrong... LOL.
    You don't know... jack

Anyone who...

Quote Originally Posted by jack70

Economist Thomas Sowell got into this "elite" thinking in his book [i]The Vision of the Anointed...
    Charles Krauthammer.
    Anyone who reads Sowell and Krauthammer are okay in my book. Man, you're as bad as me once you get wound up. ;-)

'Atta boy, Jack. Eat-em raw.

re

Man, you're as bad as me once you get wound up. ;-)
    I don't read the board all that much anymore so I guess I was making up for lost time. LOL.

Here's something I came across by accident yesterday that's on this. Here's a sample:

Perhaps Geldof, Bono, Sting and other celebrities could make a dent in that problem by pressuring Greenpeace to stop its mindless campaign against DDT and agricultural biotech.

http://www.cei.org/gencon/019,04632.cfm
    You don't know... jack

Geldof's political skills range from sucky to nonexistent. For instance, he sees the value of "bringing Bush in" but then he talks smack about the Canadian PM. That's dumb and inconsistent.

But on the subject as a whole, I think it's interesting that two of you guys mentioned Swiss bank accounts. Here's Bono on that very subject (about two-thirds of the way down the page). After reading this, I have to give Bono more credit than I did before.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8332675/

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I always liked the Boomtown Rats. Mondo Bongo is my favorite album of theirs...even though I'm pretty sure most folks think it sucks.
    I don't have this album, but I have some greatest hits compilation which I listened to over the weekend. While I think "I Don't Like Mondays" is a great tune, I find the rest of it to be mediocre, at best. I'm guessing I wouldn't like Mondo Bongo, but is there something about Mondo Bongo I might like, even though I don't care for most of what I've heard by the band?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Bono the Narcicist

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Geldof's political skills range from sucky to nonexistent. For instance, he sees the value of "bringing Bush in" but then he talks smack about the Canadian PM. That's dumb and inconsistent.

But on the subject as a whole, I think it's interesting that two of you guys mentioned Swiss bank accounts. Here's Bono on that very subject (about two-thirds of the way down the page). After reading this, I have to give Bono more credit than I did before.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8332675/
    I hope if they get money they put it to good use, but I don't see it happening. CNN did a piece on the psunami relief six months later and nothing is happening because the governments in the countries affected want to control the money. When they don't get their way, they let their citizens suffer. I wish bono named those coountries that he said want to become democracies. I suspect the reason the Bush Millenium strategy failed is that these people would rather be in power while millions die that give up that power. Nothing Bono said makes me think it will be different this time.

His comment that Americans should support Bush in this initiative also shows me that he doesn't understand freedom. Bush gets the money he gives from taxpayers, i.e., American citizens. If they support these issues, then they should freely donate their own money. I have no respect for those who are against voluntary transactions, and instead say that the government must take the money and then give it to their favorite cause, in this case poverty. But why not AIDS in Africa, or universal health care, or fund another war. What moral principal does Bono apply to provide guidance that his cause is the most pressing? All he does is threaten that music lovers have lots of votes. Like he controls people's brains. That's hubris for you.

Also, malaria is a non issue if the U.N. would allow spraying of DDT. But apparently, for environmentalists, birds trump people. More than 50 million Africans have died of malaria since DDT spraying was banned. It has now been shown to be relatively harmless. I even read an article where the Canadian leader of Greenpeace said that she wasn't opposed to spraying Malaria where lives could be saved. These people are dying because of politics, not because of a lack of money.

Bono disappoints me.

But apparently, for environmentalists, birds trump people. More than 50 million Africans have died of malaria since DDT spraying was banned. It has now been shown to be relatively harmless.

Bono disappoints me.
    What all too many people don't seem to realize or accept ...(cause they're blinded by "religious-like" beliefs like extreme environmentalism... and are more akin to Wahhabi clergy than modern reasoned thinking)... is that ALL LIFE is a matter of risk & choice. Yet benefits vs the negatives of DTT are so skewed by these groups (& the dopey press), that people continue to die. 35-50,000 people die in cars every year... should we ban cars too?

Saw this on a Blog yesterday. Not great, but not bad either.

BONO ® BRAND EMERGENCY FAMINE RELIEF KIT
    Bono's Third World iPod — Now you can enjoy one of the most popular items of the western world, even without access to computers, mp3s, or even electricity! Take the music of U2 with you everywhere you go. Trade U2 songs for food like prisoners exchange cigarettes for anal sex! BUY NOW

http://www.nationallampoon.com/nl/08.../bono/bono.asp
    You don't know... jack

Didn't Know...

Quote Originally Posted by jack70

Saw this on a Blog yesterday. Not great, but not bad either.

http://www.nationallampoon.com/nl/08.../bono/bono.asp
    I didn't know that National Lampoon still lived on.

My favorite is the six piece luggage set.

Nothing Bono said makes me think it will be different this time.
    I was impressed with the way he was able to drill down a little into the details of how aid would be distributed in societies with corrupt governments, going directly to the NGO's on the ground. Maybe that would have to happen in all the countries in Africa given the widespread corruption. Maybe that's been tried before and failed, I don't know, but I was surprised that Bono saw the crux of the problem was corruption itself. I had mistakenly assumed he had been preaching the tired line that all third-world ills were the fault of the West.

His comment that Americans should support Bush in this initiative also shows me that he doesn't understand freedom. Bush gets the money he gives from taxpayers, i.e., American citizens. If they support these issues, then they should freely donate their own money. I have no respect for those who are against voluntary transactions, and instead say that the government must take the money and then give it to their favorite cause, in this case poverty. But why not AIDS in Africa, or universal health care, or fund another war. What moral principal does Bono apply to provide guidance that his cause is the most pressing? All he does is threaten that music lovers have lots of votes. Like he controls people's brains. That's hubris for you.
    This is where I differ a great deal with you and Gordon. The way liberal democracies work is everybody gets something and everybody loses something. You have to be willing to give up what you can't win sometimes, otherwise societies fall apart. That's just the way it is. On the subject of voluntary transactions, keep in mind the earlier post one of you guys did about the failure of these types of big festival charity events. The money almost always gets stolen. After all, it's the music biz we're talking about here. My guess is Geldoff is trying to avoid that. And Africa is not just a "favorite cause". It's a ticking time bomb as is the Middle East with its population demographics. The next pandemic won't care about your political affiliation and the odds are it will come from Africa. The place is a mess and needs a lot of work. I'm encouraged that Bono realizes the "old way" of throwing money at corrupt governments to ease the Western conscience doesn't work. (I didn't follow what happened to the Millenium Challenge but I'll check it out.)

Also, malaria is a non issue if the U.N. would allow spraying of DDT. But apparently, for environmentalists, birds trump people. More than 50 million Africans have died of malaria since DDT spraying was banned. It has now been shown to be relatively harmless. I even read an article where the Canadian leader of Greenpeace said that she wasn't opposed to spraying Malaria where lives could be saved. These people are dying because of politics, not because of a lack of money.
    I'm with you on this one. Just keep in mind that malaria is just one of many problems in Africa. Zimbabwe is going to explode in mass slaughter and genocide that will probably dwarf the Sudan and Bosnia combined, so get ready. There doesn't seem to be any way to stop it short of military intervention and that's not going to happen. It's going to be ugly. Real ugly.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information