Friday Song of the Day

Printable View

• 02-04-2005, 06:50 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Friday Song of the Day
    Alright, it's 9:45 and there are no new posts yet today. Time to get the ball rolling!

What's your song of the day. Mine is Little Bird, Little Bird by Rheostatics.

This is sort of a folky sounding song with nice rambling accoustic guitar, a mandolin, and just enough bass to give it bit of a Pink Floydy sound. It reminds me a little of Bruce Cockburn thrown into a blender with the musical dramatics of Roger Waters.

Where did you fly little bird, little bird?
    How long 'til I might see
    A view of the world, little world, little world
    The marching of industry?

Those smokeblack stains
    Red and purple planes
    Blood on a flag unfurled
    A screaming sound when we hit the ground
    To walk with me
    Walking through the wicked world

How hard the sun, little bird, little bird?
    How deep the winter freeze?
    How strong am I, missing words, missing words
    To tell you how scared I feel?

Of an artist's fake
    Or a sadist's rake
    Scars on a teenage girl
    A slow parade for the price we paid
    To walk with me
    Walking through the wicked world

Through the fire and the flood
    I'll staunch the blood
    Put your face to my face
    Take her place, it's alright
    We are drunk on our death
    Bed of arms, bed of ice
    I never learned how to dance
    Is this Poland or France?

How hard the sun, little bird, little bird?
    How deep the blood and the bone?
    How strong am I, missing words, missing words
    To tell you how scared I feel?

Of a rusted saw and an iron jaw
    Screams of a dead man's dream
    But my country and my family know
    To walk with me
    Walking through the wicked world.
  • 02-04-2005, 07:31 AM
    nobody
    I'll go with Mojo Nixan and Jello Biafra's reworking of <b>Are You Drinkin' with me Jesus</b> from Prarie Home Invasion

Well I saw ya sittin' there.
    I was tryin' not to stare.
    I wasn't sure If it was you.
    I didn't know just what to do.

Well are you drinkin' with me Jesus?
    I can't see you very clear.
    Are you drinkin' with me Jesus?
    Won't ya' buy a friend a beer?

Well as you nestled on your barstool
    I felt your warmness within.
    Ah but then I looked down at my pants; that wasn't warmness.
    I wet myself again.

Does your head pound Jesus as hungover you do rise?
    How does paradise look Jesus, through Holy bloodshot eyes?

Should we take a cab home Jesus?
    Shoot man, we could hoof it from here
    I know you can walk on the water
    but can you walk on this much beer?

Special honors go to their updating of Phil Ochs's <i>Love Me, I'm a Liberal</i> and the classic Will the Fetus be Aborted sung to the tune of <i>Will the Circle be Unbroken</i> from the same album. Great stuff from a coupla swell fellas.
  • 02-04-2005, 07:35 AM
    Finch Platte
    Too busy...
    Too busy being online to turn on the stereo.

fp
  • 02-04-2005, 07:51 AM
    Davey
    Hey, but it's not even 8:00 here!?

This morning I had to pull out the Television CD from 1992 that Swish Baby and I were talking some about yesterday. Not their most critically acclaimed by far, and many fans seem to have thought it was a letdown, but not me. I loved it from the first spin, and still do. Nobody has ever played guitars together like those two. Nobody. Love the way the album opens slowly but with a kind of surrealistic sound that doesn't betray any particular time frame or era. Really just a continuation of Marquee Moon, but from an older and more wordly perspective. Nearly timeless. When I started writing this my song was gonna be the ecstatic, driving "Shane, she wrote this" that comes after the wonderful "1880 or so" opener, but that leads into "In World" and then into the noir detective tale "Call Mr. Lee" (from our first Rave Recs Group Comp) which takes you into some alternate-universe experience familiar to those of us who were onboard for their first recordings. And "Rhyme" and then another big favorite in the slightly Eno-esque sounding "No Glamour for Willi" and then on to....but I'll stick with track two for now.

Shane
    I want to know

Sisters rejoice in a B-minor chord,
    With wildly impassioned delight
    Rapture is mine now as I behold
    All turning holy and bright
    So bright.

She gives me all the love
    Why do I not hear my name?
    She gives me all the love
    Maybe I don't understand.
  • 02-04-2005, 07:52 AM
    umapet97
    Listening to Rachel Yamagata,the Happenstance CD.
    Reviewers comparing her to Norah Jones;I can hear that,I hear a li'l Tori Amos too.
    She is a great performer;saw her live when she was with Chicago "fusion" jazz band Bumpus.
    Kinda cool seein' her on the OC last night(cant believe I just said that out loud).
  • 02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
    tentoze
    Not familiar with that collaboration at all, but the 2 of them together almost sounds illegal.

;)
  • 02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    You Westerners.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    Hey, but it's not even 8:00 here!

You're always lagging behind.

:p
  • 02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
    Mr MidFi
    An oldie but a greatie
    Kiss of Life is a playful, purcussion-driven romp from Peter Gabriel's Security album. It just finished playing, and it's been a while since I'd last heard it. Left me happy, like seeing an old friend again.
  • 02-04-2005, 01:28 PM
    Troy
    Good call on the Gabriel song. I spun that one recently and came to a similar conclusion.

Mine: Tomorrow- Yazbek. Great song about driving and the whole road attitude done with a weird, lopsisded XTC-ish shamble. Great song, makes me want to go for a drive.
  • 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM
    MasterCylinder
    A CHANGE OF SEASONS -- Dream Theater

Too long and complicated to provide the libretto.

So sorry.
  • 02-04-2005, 03:59 PM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    How bout artist of the day?
    I'm listening to a disc my friend gave me of Chilean folk band Illapu, which I'm really enjoying. I gather it's the music of the the tribes indigenous to the Andean region. Interesting instrumentation and generally upbeat western-style tempos. The songs with lyrics are sung in Spanish.

I don't have a tracklist so I can't tell you the name of my song of the day, so we'll just call it track 7. It's got heavy use of what could be a pan flute, but a wooden baritone pan flute, if such a thing exists. Great sounds, whatever it is that's making them.
  • 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
    DarrenH
    My Friday song..
    Trains by Porcupine Tree listening through these awesome headphones.

What clarity. Friggin' great sound. Friggin' great song!

If you only knew what I was using before these.

Darren
  • 02-04-2005, 11:44 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Black Mountain - Set Us Free

Sort of Timbuk 3 (or perhaps Fiery Furnaces -- that boy/girl lead vocal thing) meets Black Sabbath/(electric) Neil Young/perhaps the Zombies/Animals
  • 02-05-2005, 08:42 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Black Mountain - Set Us Free

Sort of Timbuk 3 (or perhaps Fiery Furnaces -- that boy/girl lead vocal thing) meets Black Sabbath/(electric) Neil Young/perhaps the Zombies/Animals

I want that album! From what evryone has said, it has a lot of potential to become a hit at Rave Recs. Love the way Radcliffe described it the other days as, "RIYL: '70s riff rock, mellow psychedelia, '00s indie, digressions, tangents, Television, beards, Neil Young, acid, mescaline, unwashed denim, and rain."

Or the article I read about them at chartattack which says "...debut is a hazy, drugged-out trip through all the best parts of The Talking Heads' quirky art pop, Led Zeppelin's riff-heavy classic rock and the gloriously melancholic moments of Neil Young And Crazy Horse."

Either one sounds good to me :)
  • 02-05-2005, 08:44 AM
    PPG
    "Mr. Greedyman" Vinyl Kings
  • 02-05-2005, 10:09 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    I want that album! From what evryone has said, it has a lot of potential to become a hit at Rave Recs. Love the way Radcliffe described it the other days as, "RIYL: '70s riff rock, mellow psychedelia, '00s indie, digressions, tangents, Television, beards, Neil Young, acid, mescaline, unwashed denim, and rain."

Or the article I read about them at chartattack which says "...debut is a hazy, drugged-out trip through all the best parts of The Talking Heads' quirky art pop, Led Zeppelin's riff-heavy classic rock and the gloriously melancholic moments of Neil Young And Crazy Horse."

Either one sounds good to me :)

It is really good, and I've actually attempted your thing at trying to listen to the same albums over the course of the week, and this one hasn't been getting tiresome at all.

HOWEVER...

I don't think it's that hazy/drugged out/trippy/jammy. But then again, I've been listening to a lot of Explosions In The Sky (a F'n'B fave) and GYBE, so it's not that. Just wanted to make that clear, because I was a little disappointed on first listen. But once I realized that my expectations were wrong, and I got over it, everything was fine.
  • 02-12-2005, 12:13 AM
    bpsychotic
    Wasteland of the Free by Iris DeMent

I heard this tune today on the radio and downloaded it as soon as I got home. Catchy tune. ;)