Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    Hi frenchmon….I checked out miss Elaine Elias via your link boy sheeee’s hot I mean on fire!! (The Bossa Nova stories) should be a pretty sweet CD as it represents a celebration of the 50th years of the bossa nova, and some of the players on this CD are from the old school………. But frenchmon how about the CD that preceded the B N stories (something for you) she sings and play Bill Evans, it’s a tribute to Mr. Evans have you listen to it??
    Yes its good as well. I have it in my CD collection. She also has some recordings out doing some of the great Bud Powell's stuff.

Now about Elaine & Diana, who being the better pianist player” Elaine may be the best of the two!! but lets do this I’m going to ask you to watch this Diana DVD if you already did (do it again) when ever you have the time (live in Paris at the Paris Olympia on December 2001) with John Clayton acoustic bass, Jeff Hamilton drums, Anthony Wilson & John Pisano acoustic guitar, Paulinho Dacosta percussions, Alan Broadbent & Claus Ogerman With the Orchestre symphonique Europeen (and give me your impressions) IMO Elaine got the edge given that wicked amount of experience she have as a professional player with all the Greats. but still love my D K"
    Yeah I've got that DVD in my collection as well. It to is a great DVD. When it first came out, there was not a hi fi shop in Carolina who was not playing that DVD on the latest Plasma screen TV's. But I think Elaine has better skills on the piano. Both of these chicks are hot, but to my liking Elaine is just pure sexy! I love the way she wiggles as she plays the piano. IF you google her on youtube, you get all kinds of hits. Did you know that Diana is married to Elvis Costelo and Elaine is married to the bass player Marc Johnson? Elaine use to be Married to Mike Brecker, the brother of the later Randy Brecker. They devorced and Marc Johnson snatched her up and took her off the market. He was no dummy.

Now John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton have been doing stuff together for years. I just love the way Claytons bass sounds. So deep and detailed. That man can bop with the best of them. I've got a very good CD with Clayton, playing with Milt Jackson, Billy Higgins, and Joshua Redman. I think it was the last recording before Higgins died. Very good recording.

Hey’ have you given Patricia Barber a listen?? I like the Cd's “NIGHT CLUB & PATRICIA BARBER live- A FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE. she also brutalized the Piano." man
    No...but I've seen her name around. What is she like? What style?

frenchmon
    Last edited by frenchmon; 11-08-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Winston check Elaine here in this clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB5w-rI1rXw

You wont ever see Diana Krall in such a rare moment. Elaine just has skills that I don't think Diana Krall has. Elaine is improvising in concert with Jack Dejohnette who is one of the great Jazz/Rock drummers of today.

I love both these women, but Elaine has a special place with me. she will be here in concert in January and I wont miss her.

frenchmon

Forum Regular

Eliane and the Brecker Brothers

Frenchmon: I'm pretty sure that you have Eliane's marital history with the Brecker Brothers reversed. She had been married to Randy, not Michael. Regardless, she's very talented with a great catalog to choose from. She's also an excellent performer. I had the pleasure of seeing her in Hartford two years ago with her husband, Marc Johnson. Great night of music.

frenchmon@Quote
    No...but I've seen her name around. What is she like? What style?

frenchmon
    first things first!! Marc Johnson" and Elvis Costelo" they are two lucky men??!!...

About Patricia Barber??!! she is another Case study Well for starters! they called her (The Jazz Agent For Change) They say That her above average Intelligence and Vocabulary always results In a witty and complex lyrics, That part of her description I would say is 100% Accurate,...she did that big time on CD & DVD on a Fortnight in France. Her categories or contemporary Jazz singer/pianists. "but she is a Radical" musician. she will do jazz/rock/pop all in ONE SONG.

She did a Cole Porter mix in 2008 very nice.
    Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcozqulttY[/URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcozquLttY
    frenchmon" check out the above link If It works!! heres a sample of Patricia Barber
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Winston, while at a friends house yesterday who is a hi fi audio dealer, he said he goes to the library and get his CD's. The very first CD he put on was Patricia Barber's CD "Cafe' Blue". I liked what I was hearing. Amazon did not have any in stock and CD universe have them on back order, so it just a matter of time before I get my copy...oh and by the way its a SACD.

frenchmon

The other day, my wife was mailed this disc: Bare Bones, by Madeline Peyroux.

Her singing is simple, direct and so much fun to listen to, I just had to stop everything I was doing and hold my breath. Likewise, she plays (piano and guitar) with a deft flirtatiousness that makes every moment nothing short of wonderment!

"The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Hi Aa" love that lady she's got her own ways"and lots of (Billy Holiday) and you got a way with "Words" Man

frenchmon
    Wynton Marsalis” standard time volume 1
    Spotlight on this drummer (Jeff “Train” Watts) of the Wynton Marsalis Quartet
    Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet
    Marcus Roberts (“j master”) piano
    Robert Leslie Hurst 111-bass

Frenchmon” I am thinking that you owned this CD ?. If not check it out. Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, & Billy Higgins must be listening??!!

I received the Desmond Blue on Friday 13Th!! Spin it a couple times, great CD man' the Strings that was sweet" Jim Hall was in all his glory” Gloria Agostini” you forget to mentioned her!! Boy she strums that Harp “Gawd” it reminds me of those old period flicks in the sixties. After that I played “Dave Brubeck” time out & take 10” Cd's which proves to me that Paul Desmond was the Man" back in the Brubeck years!!
    Last edited by winston; 11-20-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

my favorite eliane is 'kissed by nature'

now, given that i dont have an extensive collection of her work, i DO have a few, i find 'dreamer' not to be too good although 'alll around the city' wasnt bad but not the equal of 'kissed' which has that brazilian quality of rhythm in the words that i like so much.

michael franks always had a brazilian tinge to his discs and did a fair amount of their recording down there. he is still making records and i buy whatever he puts out. certain of his releases are classic to me. passion fruit was my first cd by him (i already had all of his LPs up until then) and the tune 'when sly calls' became a family favorite.

sleeping gypsy was a great album that came to my attention when i was in the midst of the end of my first marriage. the song 'in the eye of the storm' he sang the words: "and i hear from my ex, on the back of my checks!" and BINGO, that is the way i wanted to hear from MY ex, not over the breakfast table, not in bed, but from her signature on the backside of the child support check.

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish.

another singer/songwriter that influenced the brazilian scene then was dori cayimi. mmmmm, tasty. and stan getz was such a visionary. he also discovered diane schuur.

peter erskine can be seen to great effect with diana krall on her Live at the Montréal Jazz Festival dvd. and anthony wilson shows why she changed from russ malone on the guitar. he fits her so much better.

and patricia barber IS great, saw her LIVE in long beach california about two years ago and it was worth every penny!

dont you just LOVE music?
    ...regards...tr

Hi Aa" love that lady she's got her own ways"and lots of (Billy Holiday) and you got a way with "Words" Man

frenchmon
    Wynton Marsalis” standard time volume 1
    Spotlight on this drummer (Jeff “Train” Watts) of the Wynton Marsalis Quartet
    Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet
    Marcus Roberts (“j master”) piano
    Robert Leslie Hurst 111-bass

Frenchmon” I am thinking that you owned this CD ?. If not check it out. Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, & Billy Higgins must be listening??!!

I received the Desmond Blue on Friday 13Th!! Spin it a couple times, great CD man' the Strings that was sweet" Jim Hall was in all his glory” Gloria Agostini” you forget to mentioned her!! Boy she strums that Harp “Gawd” it reminds me of those old period flicks in the sixties. After that I played “Dave Brubeck” time out & take 10” Cd's which proves to me that Paul Desmond was the Man" back in the Brubeck years!!

Winston...I think I use to own that cd...dont know what happened to it. Jeff "tan" Watts is a master on drums. He is one of those who helped keep jazz alive, he and the Marsalis boys in the late 80's. Do you remember hearing that song "Desmond Blue"? Most people think that was a Miles tune, but thats pure Desmond. Man his sax has the sweetest tone. And if you hear his CD though tubes, man it will make you slap your wife. He is so smooth. As much as I like Brubeck, It was Desmond that got my attention. I'm sitting here listening to some Thelonius Monk as I type. He's another one.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    now, given that i dont have an extensive collection of her work, i DO have a few, i find 'dreamer' not to be too good although 'alll around the city' wasnt bad but not the equal of 'kissed' which has that brazilian quality of rhythm in the words that i like so much.

michael franks always had a brazilian tinge to his discs and did a fair amount of their recording down there. he is still making records and i buy whatever he puts out. certain of his releases are classic to me. passion fruit was my first cd by him (i already had all of his LPs up until then) and the tune 'when sly calls' became a family favorite.

sleeping gypsy was a great album that came to my attention when i was in the midst of the end of my first marriage. the song 'in the eye of the storm' he sang the words: "and i hear from my ex, on the back of my checks!" and BINGO, that is the way i wanted to hear from MY ex, not over the breakfast table, not in bed, but from her signature on the backside of the child support check.

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish.

another singer/songwriter that influenced the brazilian scene then was dori cayimi. mmmmm, tasty. and stan getz was such a visionary. he also discovered diane schuur.

peter erskine can be seen to great effect with diana krall on her Live at the Montréal Jazz Festival dvd. and anthony wilson shows why she changed from russ malone on the guitar. he fits her so much better.

and patricia barber IS great, saw her LIVE in long beach california about two years ago and it was worth every penny!

dont you just LOVE music?
    Heyyyyy...you gota love it! Don't know what i would do with out it!

Great postig by the way....oh, and I loved her "dreamer CD"...... and Mr Franks...."when Sly Calls" is one of my favorite by him as well.

frenchom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular

Guys, what a great post. Sorry I am late to this party....

I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music. I do have a few Patricia Barber CD's and love the musicianship to be sure. I recently was introduced to the music of "Ceu", a female vocalist whose voice and music I really enjoyed but I don't know anything about her at all. Anybody heard of Ceu before?

The one CD in my collection that I truly enjoy listening to is, Pop Pop, the artist being Rickie Lee Jones. I thought you guys might want to investigate that particular CD since the recording, music, and vocals are truly great. This particular CD was voted on some national audio mag list as being one of the 10 best of the decade.

Thanks for this great post fellas.

LeRoy

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music. I do have a few Patricia Barber CD's and love the musicianship to be sure. I recently was introduced to the music of "Ceu", a female vocalist whose voice and music I really enjoyed but I don't know anything about her at all. Anybody heard of Ceu before?

The one CD in my collection that I truly enjoy listening to is, Pop Pop, the artist being Rickie Lee Jones. I thought you guys might want to investigate that particular CD since the recording, music, and vocals are truly great. This particular CD was voted on some national audio mag list as being one of the 10 best of the decade.

Thanks for this great post fellas.

LeRoy
    I'll look into Ceu....how are you enjoying the Xray?

frenchmon

hifitommy@quote

what a breath of fresh air it was on oct 8,'77!!! i got my wish. (OH THAT MUST HAVE BEEN BLUE!! but then there's the music" AND work" man they never fails.) Michael Franks always comes through for me..The Man's Got Words!! Hey I never knew that "Stan Getz" was the one who discovered "Diane schuur".. Dori Caymmi??!! the search is on Thanks "TR" Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

as long as youre searching...

sergio mendes-primal roots. you wont be sorry if you find it.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Winston...I think I use to own that cd...dont know what happened to it. Jeff "tan" Watts is a master on drums. He is one of those who helped keep jazz alive, he and the Marsalis boys in the late 80's. Do you remember hearing that song "Desmond Blue"? Most people think that was a Miles tune, but thats pure Desmond. Man his sax has the sweetest tone. And if you hear his CD though tubes, man it will make you slap your wife. He is so smooth. As much as I like Brubeck, It was Desmond that got my attention. I'm sitting here listening to some Thelonius Monk as I type. He's another one.

frenchmon
    Yes frenchmon when I was to listening that (Desmond Blue track) i could have sworn it was a Miles Tune! also, I' had to get the CD insert to be sure, Miles Davis name was never even mention. yes Sir" Paul Desmond is said to be one of the greatest Lyric Improvisers in Jazz! and the setting of this CD is really saying a lot to include Strings, Woodwinds, Harp, complementing The MAN.

Hey French. I can see why your on a Quest find the right Cables to bring out the best"of Billy Higgins brushing those cymbals" with Charles Lloyd! (on Georgia & the Water is wide)....Take Care Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Yes frenchmon when I was to listening that (Desmond Blue track) i could have sworn it was a Miles Tune! also, I' had to get the CD insert to be sure, Miles Davis name was never even mention. yes Sir" Paul Desmond is said to be one of the greatest Lyric Improvisers in Jazz! and the setting of this CD is really saying a lot to include Strings, Woodwinds, Harp, complementing The MAN.

Hey French. I can see why your on a Quest find the right Cables to bring out the best"of Billy Higgins brushing those cymbals" with Charles Lloyd! (on Georgia & the Water is wide)....Take Care Win.

You got it Win...you da man!

frenchmon

LeRoy@quote>>>>> Guys, what a great post. Sorry I am late to this party....
    I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music

Leroy"Well-come and remember It's better to be late" than Never Arrive!! (Smile)
    I never hear of Cue" either?? but I'll check her out later.Patricia Barber I have some of her Cd's like (Cafe Blue, Night club,the Cole Porter Mix, and Patricia Barber LIVE a fortnight in France....have you listen to that one if you haven't already did check it out.

Rickie Lee Jones I might have a CD of her" anyways I'll Check out that, POP POP' CD
    Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

Forum Regular

Hey there frenchmon

I'll look into Ceu....how are you enjoying the Xray?

frenchmon
    I am enjoying the x-ray immensely. I was curious as to how the X-Ray would sound in more expensive system so about 4 weeks ago I took it my local audio dealer's home for a listen. It was hooked up to Belles VT01 Pre-amp, Belles SA-30 Amp, Reference 3A speakers, and some of his home made cables and speaker wire.

The X-Ray was delightful to listen to in the above configured system. My audio dealer friend and I remarked on how well the player kept time/pace, tonality was excellent, and an overall analog sounding presentation was enjoyable. So, we then decided to plug in his tubed CDP, Lektor ( I forgot the model#) which sells retail for about 5.5K. The Lektor had more body and texture and weight to the music as well as more extension into the room in all directions. The X-Ray was the equal to the Lektor in all other regards of performance but of course was thousands of dollars less. My friend thinks I made off like a bandit on the X-Ray purchase and I think so too.

I am enjoying the x-ray immensely. I was curious as to how the X-Ray would sound in more expensive system so about 4 weeks ago I took it my local audio dealer's home for a listen. It was hooked up to Belles VT01 Pre-amp, Belles SA-30 Amp, Reference 3A speakers, and some of his home made cables and speaker wire.

The X-Ray was delightful to listen to in the above configured system. My audio dealer friend and I remarked on how well the player kept time/pace, tonality was excellent, and an overall analog sounding presentation was enjoyable. So, we then decided to plug in his tubed CDP, Lektor ( I forgot the model#) which sells retail for about 5.5K. The Lektor had more body and texture and weight to the music as well as more extension into the room in all directions. The X-Ray was the equal to the Lektor in all other regards of performance but of course was thousands of dollars less. My friend thinks I made off like a bandit on the X-Ray purchase and I think so too.
    Yeah...I think you and I both got a great deal on the Xray. Reatail price for that think was very close to $3000 for @$799 it was a steal. Happy to see you are enjoying it.

frenchmon

Forum Regular

Hey there Winston

LeRoy@quote>>>>> Guys, what a great post. Sorry I am late to this party....
    I've never heard of Elaine Elias but I certainly going to have to investigate her music

Leroy"Well-come and remember It's better to be late" than Never Arrive!! (Smile)
    I never hear of Cue" either?? but I'll check her out later.Patricia Barber I have some of her Cd's like (Cafe Blue, Night club,the Cole Porter Mix, and Patricia Barber LIVE a fortnight in France....have you listen to that one if you haven't already did check it out.

Rickie Lee Jones I might have a CD of her" anyways I'll Check out that, POP POP' CD
    Win.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Ya, I have P.B. Cafe Blue, Companion, and Split. I also have all 3 of Norah Jones' CD's and I heard last week the she is changing her style. Apparently Norah broke up with her bassist B.F. and fired the whole band she's been with all these years and is now trying to be "edgier" (whatever that means) with a new group of musicians. I heard the interview on NPR, last Friday or Thursday morning.

I do want to get another PB CD with have never known which I should get next.. what would you suggest?

Just an fyi, I bought 3 cd's from B&N about a year ago based on a list of recommended CD's from 6moons.com. These 3 CD's are concept's based on the creative mind of Paul Schwartz. If you like Opera sung in the form of Aria's, and you like New Age Music with a groove..then you would probably enjoy not only the unique musical presentation but also the glorious vocals of a real opera singer, and overall excellent recordings in each of the CD's. They are sold individually and not as a package. They are Aria, Aria 2, and Aria 3.

I am looking forward to your reply regarding which PB CD I should get next.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Forum Regular

Thanks Frenchmon

Yeah...I think you and I both got a great deal on the Xray. Reatail price for that think was very close to $3000 for @$799 it was a steal. Happy to see you are enjoying it.

frenchmon
    Yes sir, I am enjoying the x-ray and I know you are too. I will need to look into the music and background of Ceu. I don't know if she is from South America, Belgium, France, or Montreal.. I know she has 2 CD's out but I never find them anywhere I go. I gotta keep looking cause I gotta have em.

Oh, and which Elaine Elias CD would you recommend I purchase first?

Thanks again.

LeRoy

Yes sir, I am enjoying the x-ray and I know you are too. I will need to look into the music and background of Ceu. I don't know if she is from South America, Belgium, France, or Montreal.. I know she has 2 CD's out but I never find them anywhere I go. I gotta keep looking cause I gotta have em.

Oh, and which Elaine Elias CD would you recommend I purchase first?

Thanks again.

LeRoy

I would recommend "Brazilian Classics" Its a great CD with great musicians. Jack Dejohnette, Eddie Gomez, Peter Erskine. Mike Breker, and Marc Johnson to name a few. This is also a great CD when auditioning speakers.

frenchmon

LeRoy@quote.I am looking forward to your reply regarding which PB CD I should get next. ..........Ok LeRoy X-ray This on your Musical Fidelity V8!!
    1) DISTORTION OF LOVE
    2) FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE, CD/DVD
    3)MONDAY NIGHT (LIVE AT THE GREEN HILL)
    4) THE COLE PORTER (MIX)

MYTHOLOGIES" that's a different type of stuff (I like It) you might not Jazz-Times called it FEAR-LESS,INTELLECTUALLY,STIMULATING.
    BUT as you know Jazz can be a wolf disguise as a SHEEP" sometime so watch out for MYTHOLOGIES!!
    take care Win.
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano

God, the apostrophe in the thread title drives me up a wall!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information