Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fitness music

fitness music

O.K. the thread of musicians into fitness made me think to ask this. Does anyone have recommendations on good work-out music? I like to jam to some good angry music when I'm working out Rage Against the Machine seems to work good for me but I need a wider selection. I have a hard time getting motivated. I don't know many bands or have the oportunity to listen to the radio much. I love jazz but I can't work out to it

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    O.K. the thread of musicians into fitness made me think to ask this. Does anyone have recommendations on good work-out music? I like to jam to some good angry music when I'm working out Rage Against the Machine seems to work good for me but I need a wider selection. I have a hard time getting motivated. I don't know many bands or have the oportunity to listen to the radio much. I love jazz but I can't work out to it
    I have a few disks that I like to work out to. I love working out to a best of Billy Idol disk that I have called Vital Idol. The timing seems to be just right for my cardio workouts. It's not a long disk and it seems to start off and end kinda slow for my warm-up and cool-down.

Green Day, Dookie and Warning are both good ones.
    I like the old 80's hair bands for working out. Def Leppard and Poison both have some fun up-beat rock tunes that get my heart pumping.
    Troy (I think) sent me a BeBop Deluxe comp that is great to work out to.
    I have a couple of 80's new wave CDs that are made up of various bands that work nicely as well.
    AC/DC is also good work-out music.

Lately, I've actually been taking my music speed down a notch during my workouts. I can do double time to a slower beat and I find the music more relaxing to listen to. You might be able to do that with some of your Jazz CDs if you can find one with a fairly steady rhythm.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I find perky upbeat music like Garbage, Pitchshifter, some The Faint, classic Oingo Boingo, etc.

I ought to try the Buzzcocks, but I would prefer to work out for more than 2-3 minutes at a stretch, y'know?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Chrome

"Fitness music" is a term that reeks of lameness... it kinda puts down both music and fitness... LOL. Sorta like Muzak or elevator music. When I'm competing in any sport I prefer to do only that... the activities just don't mix IMO... just another dumbing down (for lack of a better term) of today's stupid-muilti-tasking / popular-culture-mish-mash.

Caveat: I'm a cyclist, and the only proper way to cycle is to get out on the road. Between the drunk drivers, killer soccer moms in their SUV's, etc, there's plenty of REAL stuff to think about without bringing music into the mix. But I'll admit that this time of the year when it's just too dangerous (icy roads & -20 temps) to ride outside, a little electro-beat in the background can help pass the boredom of the "stationary bike", a lame "excercise" if there ever was one (a sad mockery of real cycling). It's pretty much torture since you only have your cadence and pedal ankling technique to concentrate on... very boring (and very exhausting). There's an LP-side in Chrome's LP box-set that is perfect for this kinda thing... it's very "metro-nomic"... perfect for keeping tempo. The only other song I can think of is "Ready to Break" (forget the artist... a Garbage imitator band...)... it's a really good uptempo modern pop-rocker. You'll often hear it at hoop games.
    You don't know... jack

DPM

Workout tunes

When I work out the music I choose depends upon whether I'm doing cardio or weights. For cardio I have various compilations on my iPod that get my blood pumping. Some of these comps cover only a single band (AC/DC, Judas Priest, Gamma, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Soundgarden, STP, Thin Lizzy, UFO) while others cover several bands in a particular genre (my Metal of Ages comps) or era (70s, 80s, 90s comps). The common characteristic of these collections is that the tempo is, generally speaking, fairly quick or the music is intense in some way.

For weight training I may use any of the above choices, or I may opt for bands whose music is more varied. Examples are Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Yes, Tull, Gentle Giant, Led Zeppelin, James Gang, Bad Company, Jimi Hendrix and various prog comps.

I've gotta' say, I'm REALLY diggin' the iPod.

Dave M

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Fitness music

Pulsing techno beats just don't do it for me. Besides, the three electronic music albums I own thus far are trip-hop, which is more "chillout" music than anything else.

When it comes to getting the blood pumping though for mountain biking (ALWAYS before riding), I gotta put on some punk, thrash, hardcore, or some good ol' hard rock. Ramones, (early) Clash, Husker Du, Bad Brains, Fugazi, Damned, MC5, At The Drive-In, Snapcase, (early) Metallica, Megadeth ("Holy Wars" is the greatest thrash song EVER, full stop), Anthrax, System Of A Down, Motorhead ("Ace Of Spades" is great), maybe even some AC/DC.

Rage Against The Machine is great too. "Guerrilla Radio," "Calm Like A Bomb," or "Wake Up" in particular are very good "energy" tracks.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

42 Regular
    I've been working out to a lot of concert DVDs lately (Rush, Cheap Trick, U2, Springsteen, Zeppelin, REM, etc.). There is something about the audio/video concert experience that makes the sweating seem effortless.

Other times, I watch sports on Mute, and play LOUD album-oriented hard rock. I also have a Workout Mix comp with up-tempo stuff like GnR, The Breeders, Aerosmith, Ramones, Tom Petty, STP, etc.

The louder, the better.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

AR Newbie Registered Member
    for gym music music for fitness in general, I recommend european dance music.......

it's ALWAYS the best motivational tool for me...

.....and you don't have to tell anyone at the office if u just listen to it on the mp3 player at the gym ....

.... here's a compilation series on itunes that I recommend -- the "Euro Club Hits" series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

Tool and Dream Theatre work great for me. Tool has a least 4 albums, Dream Theater has 10, so that'll give ya nearly a month of motivational tunes.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wow. This post is four years old! I still remember when it was originally posted.

My workout music has changed considerably since 2004 (so have my general listening habits thanks to this board). These days you're more likely to find me listening to Spoon, the Scissor Sisters, Maximo Park, Arctic Monkeys or Bedouin Soundclash among many others.

And Welcome to Kaizzerlike who dredged up this thread as his/her first post.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    When I first started I went the Soundgarden, Megadeth, blast-yer-face route but I found the adrenaline rush caused me to peak too early. I keep it consistent these days but, then again, I'm not really looking to build mass...it's more about endurance.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Wow. This post is four years old! I still remember when it was originally posted.
    I sure don't. I was surprised to see my previous contribution to this thread, as I have no recollection of it at all.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I sure don't. I was surprised to see my previous contribution to this thread, as I have no recollection of it at all.
    And there's a new Breeders album that came out Tuesday. Grab that one yet? I'm looking for some opinions before I plunk down the moola.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    And there's a new Breeders album that came out Tuesday. Grab that one yet? I'm looking for some opinions before I plunk down the moola.

jc
    No, I have not. And the initial opinions I'm reading online seem wildly mixed. So stay tuned. But I am liking the new REM, even if it is a tad short at 35 minutes.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Suspended
    If you are doing aerobics, you want something that is about 120 beats per/minute. On the Nordic Track, I sometimes use a Tribal Tech comp from Finch that is paced correctly.

Holy crap, I started reading this thread thinking, "look at all these old regulars coming out for this post"...then I looked at the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    ... I sometimes use a Tribal Tech comp from Finch that is paced correctly.
    Ooohh, that's a good one. I'm pullin' that out tonight---the Tribal Tech not the Nordic Track.

Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Rammstein.
    Rammstein is perfect for a good many activities.

Quote Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Angst bands are good for weights. If you are doing any cardio stuff I like Nike+ sports training recordings. Get them at itunes. If you run try my favorite called Drive:Nike+Original Run by the Crystal Method. It is really good. These recordings do not have breaks they are for working out and they are continuous. There is podcast material for working out too.
    I like Linkn Park Meteora for working out myself. Kind of angst lite though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Rammstein is perfect for a good many activities.

river rafting?

Absolutely!!

Also: knitting, spelunking, baking, cruising haberdasheries, fly-fishing, paper mache sculpting, golfing, researching your family tree, drinking heavily, origamy, llama husbandry, making origamy llamas, and waiting in line at the ministry of silly walks.

Suspended
    It's good that so many work out. On the treadmill it's usually something like Tristania, Nightwish, Symphony X or most anything with energy and power to motivate me when I've been sitting on my backside most of the day yet still tired at the end of the day. I know if I get going I will feel better. Toward the end of the first mile the endorphins kick in and the volume goes up, and he's off! For weights it's still usually Metal or Rock but something slower or grinding is better, I like to go, slow and control on weights.

Jack it's not multi-tasking, when music is a part of your life, it goes where you go, no matter what you are doing. Bach is good in the bathroom for constipation.

Did some one mention Gamma and UFO, I thought I was the only one who listened to obscure long lost bands. I've got the first 3 Gamma on vinyl. Any Pat Travers? That might have been one of the old posts.

Oh well, keep sweating out there.

Don't forget Hop Scotch. When we were 5 yrs old we used to Hop Scotch to Rammstein being blasted through this wall of Marshal amps. We had such a time rolling those amps around but we managed some how.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    it's still usually Metal or Rock but something slower or grinding is better, I like to go, slow and control ...
    in the bathroom for constipation.
    I go for something like Earth, Sunn 0))), or the Melvins for this type of workout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information