First disc today?

What's going to get your motor revving today?

First up was the most excellent - The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart.

Work was miserable last night and I think I'm going to have to go in on my day off today. Better crank it now.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

The CD player quit working in my SUV, so I've been listening to cassettes lately. This morning it was Dancing Hoods - 12 Jealous Roses. Really an overlooked jangle-rock band that was headed by Mark Linkous (aka Sparklehorse).
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    First up was the most excellent - The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart.jc
    That' one of my fave albums over the last few years, I was looking the other day to see if they have a new release due and they have a new album slated for February next year.

My first play this morning was Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, who sound uncannily like The Decemberists at time to these ears.

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular
    John Cougar Mellancamp - Scarecrow - MFSL cd.

Excellent disc.

Dave

Waking up to "Orgasm Addict" this morning. Guess most of you know what album that leads off. Followed of course by the always classic "What Do I Get?" and the beginning of a very fun late 70s ride. Wish I could take the whole scenic trip, but duty calls ...

giving that Stars cd another listen

"Set Yourself On Fire". Haven't hit the play button just yet, but it's all cued up & ready to go.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    First up was British Sea Power's Open Season. My first listen of this brand new (to me) CD. Now I'm wondering what took me so long to buy this one. On first impression, I like it a lot more than their first (which I also liked).

Shack - Waterpistol. Got this one from Davey as a recent bonus disc. Not sure if I ever thanked you Davey, but if not ....Thanks! Been too busy to post much lately. First heard a Shack song on a Davey comp and my first thought, without looking at the tracklist was; "is this a La's rarity?" The album sounds sometimes uncanilly like it could be the long-awaited follow-up to their classic self-titled gem. Great album that I 'm so glad I got an intro to.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    First up was British Sea Power's Open Season. My first listen of this brand new (to me) CD. Now I'm wondering what took me so long to buy this one. On first impression, I like it a lot more than their first (which I also liked).
    That one was a real grower for me. I think you'll like it more and more.

My first listen today (in the car) was Secret Machines' Now Here Is Nowhere. Still one of my top 10 faves of the 21st century. (Now there's a thread idea...)

NP: "Stockton Gala Days" by 10,000 Maniacs
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Shack - Waterpistol. Got this one from Davey as a recent bonus disc. Not sure if I ever thanked you Davey, but if not ....Thanks! Been too busy to post much lately. First heard a Shack song on a Davey comp and my first thought, without looking at the tracklist was; "is this a La's rarity?" The album sounds sometimes uncanilly like it could be the long-awaited follow-up to their classic self-titled gem. Great album that I 'm so glad I got an intro to.

Yeah, that is a good one and very astute observation that it sounds sometimes a lot like the La's. Same general time frame and same general love of that Beatlesy Brit-pop sound, so can't say that one copied the other, only that they are both excellent. Fortunately the Head brothers were a bit more prolific, although I so far only have two of their recordings. Nice to see a post from the old Lion Tamer. That other Shack song was probably from HMS Fable, which was kind of their comeback album in the late 90s, and which I did use on that recent Fun In The Sun comp, although I think I sent you one a long time ago called Modern Pop-Punk or something like that with some Idlewild and Elastica and Shack and others? Maybe? Didn't keep the tracklist. If so, it also had a few songs from that HMS Fable too. Good band. Unfortunately that Waterpistol had to be mastered frrom a backup DAT copy, but still sounds OK. Would love to hear how it sounded before the master was lost in the studio fire, but when the music is so good it hardly matters. And it does have some pretty nice dynamics without a ton of compression. Guess because it's a 1995 master.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You're going to laugh, but the first thing I listened to today was from a group called -- and this is their complete name, with the two punctuation marks -- Infidel? Castro! The name of the album is Bioentropic Damage Fractal, and it's 2 CD's of alien goodness. Some glitch, some dambient, some metal, all good...well, some good.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

John Cale...

First up, complete disc for me, is spinning at 7:02 this evening.
    It's John Cale's 1973 album "Paris 1919". Absolutely beautiful music for a drizzly autumn day in the GTA (Greater Metropolitan Toronto Area).
    Singer/Songwriter folky music with a wonderful late nineteenth century feel and "Romantic" imagery, a la Byron and Shelley. It's a great sherry sipping companion, with a fireplace nearby. I go so far as to argue that this disc is essential RAveREcs listening. Try it once & you'll likely be coming back to it again and again.

Anyone else familiar with this album/cd?

Cheers,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    It's John Cale's 1973 album "Paris 1919". Absolutely beautiful music for a drizzly autumn day in the GTA (Greater Metropolitan Toronto Area).
    Singer/Songwriter folky music with a wonderful late nineteenth century feel and "Romantic" imagery, a la Byron and Shelley. It's a great sherry sipping companion, with a fireplace nearby. I go so far as to argue that this disc is essential RAveREcs listening. Try it once & you'll likely be coming back to it again and again.

Cheers,

Bill
    I've been looking for this one forever. Everytime I'm in a used vinyl shop, the Cale/Reed/Velvets section is the first place I head to, looking for this album. I guess I should not be so stubborn, and pick up the CD, which I imagine is easier to find. Though I've never heard the album, I like everything else I've heard from Cale's solo career. I'll keep trying, half the fun is in the quest. Maybe I'll try ebay or Gemm next.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

Yeah, that is a good one and very astute observation that it sounds sometimes a lot like the La's. Same general time frame and same general love of that Beatlesy Brit-pop sound, so can't say that one copied the other, only that they are both excellent. Fortunately the Head brothers were a bit more prolific, although I so far only have two of their recordings. Nice to see a post from the old Lion Tamer. That other Shack song was probably from HMS Fable, which was kind of their comeback album in the late 90s, and which I did use on that recent Fun In The Sun comp, although I think I sent you one a long time ago called Modern Pop-Punk or something like that with some Idlewild and Elastica and Shack and others? Maybe? Didn't keep the tracklist. If so, it also had a few songs from that HMS Fable too. Good band. Unfortunately that Waterpistol had to be mastered frrom a backup DAT copy, but still sounds OK. Would love to hear how it sounded before the master was lost in the studio fire, but when the music is so good it hardly matters. And it does have some pretty nice dynamics without a ton of compression. Guess because it's a 1995 master.
    Didn't realize they were contemporaries of The La's, I assumed they were a new-millenium band. Is this their best or should I look for other stuff from them? I'll probably be buying this one fresh soon, because tarcks 5 & 6 won't play in my player. Drag!

That other Shack song was actually on your Light So Dim comp, and is on Waterpistol, but it's one of the one's I can't play. I swear I've also heard track 8 from Waterpistol, but I can't place where. I did get Modern Pop-Punk, but I don't recall a Shack song on there; Idlewild and Elastica, yes but no Shack. I'll have to dig it up to refresh my memory. OK, just went to dig it up and damn if there's not one but two Shack songs buried at the end. Wow, that comp was from March of '01- nearly 5 years later and I finally gets it. I really should pay more attention. I shouldn't complain though because that particular comp spawned oh so many discoveries for me; Spoon, Elastica, The Boo Radley's, Idlewild, all purchases directly attributable to Modern Punk & Pop. I guess Shack just fell by the wayside.

42 Regular
    ...Anyone else familiar with this album/cd?
    Bill
    I had that one on vinyl back in the 70s, when I was in high school. It ended up in my brother's stack when he left for college and we had to split everything up. The opening track lived on in my collection as part of an easy-going, artsy tape comp...until about 10 years ago, when it finally died. I can still hear that song in my head, transitioning into Tull's "Living in the Past".

The albums I've lost thru the years would make one incredible collection.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Didn't realize they were contemporaries of The La's, I assumed they were a new-millenium band. Is this their best or should I look for other stuff from them? I'll probably be buying this one fresh soon, because tarcks 5 & 6 won't play in my player. Drag!
    Hmm, wonder why it won't play? Oh well, whaddaya expect for free! That's just the latest copy-protection scheme at work - if ya can't play it ya can't copy it

That Waterpistol is a gem. I've posted about it in more detail before but I'll just give the link to a post I made awhile back at the steve hoffman site where I was told that they have a couple albums that some think are at least the equal, and maybe even better. Both high on my wishlist.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57895

Marillion - Brave

Not a bad effort by the band, but not their best work IMO. Could have been more proggy for my taste.

Today is was the Electrelane girls. Still love "The Power Out" from last year and play it all the time. Guess it doesn't work for everyone, but sure works for me to give me some of that Feelies feel I like so much. And really a nice relaxing listen after hearing the usual severe over-compression on most CDs today. Clears out my system and helps me to remember what "real" music is supposed to sound like

I have this on vinyl...

Cheers,

Bill
    ..along with a bunch of other early John Cale. I haven't listened to it in at least 20 years. Does this have Amsterdam on it. I always liked that song. Chick goes to Amsterdam, meets some other guy, has some new worldly experiences, and now the old boyfriend isn't good enough.

Never happened to me, btw.

I ended up spinning Ginmill Perfume about 4 times yesterday after MAF refreshed my memory about even having this beauty. Great disc and I really like those Flaming Stars and should definetly stand in line to get some more. However-they have about as much in common with WOV as I do with Matthew McConaughey. An indiefied Bomboras would be much closer in my opinion as dark surf is the most common thought running through my head as the album progresses. Love that crazy farsifa organ sound!

Today I went a little nutzo with Radio 4's Gotham. Danceable, dark post punk goodness that feeds the soul. This'll cure whatever ails ya.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I haven't listened to it in at least 20 years. Does this have Amsterdam on it. I always liked that song. Chick goes to Amsterdam, meets some other guy, has some new worldly experiences, and now the old boyfriend isn't good enough.

Never happened to me, btw.
    Andalucia is on it, not Amsterdam. But, I like the story on Amsterdam better.
    Man, what a great album.
    I haven't heard "Hobosapiens", yet. Anyone have? Any good?

Cheers,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    when it finally died. I can still hear that song in my head, transitioning into Tull's "Living in the Past".

The albums I've lost thru the years would make one incredible collection.
    Nice transition, that one: "Child's Christmas in Wales" into "Living in the Past"....wow!!
    Last edited by audiobill; 11-10-2005 at 07:19 PM.

I've been looking for this one forever. Everytime I'm in a used vinyl shop, the Cale/Reed/Velvets section is the first place I head to, looking for this album. I guess I should not be so stubborn, and pick up the CD, which I imagine is easier to find. Though I've never heard the album, I like everything else I've heard from Cale's solo career. I'll keep trying, half the fun is in the quest. Maybe I'll try ebay or Gemm next.
    If you'd like, you can email/pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    My first play this morning was Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, who sound uncannily like The Decemberists at times to these ears.
    Flip that remark 180 degrees

My first play today was the Pinback debut from 1999. Everything from this band is good but each album isn't very much different from the next. I suppose if you're only gonna do one thing, do it well. They do.

I hate:
    Joy Division
    Dylan
    Ramones
    Zappa
    Waits
    Smiths
    WOV

So why then do so many of the bands I like have some of their sound? Weird, eh?
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Waking up to "Orgasm Addict" this morning. Guess most of you know what album that leads off. Followed of course by the always classic "What Do I Get?" and the beginning of a very fun late 70s ride. Wish I could take the whole scenic trip, but duty calls ...
    LOVE THE BUZZ!

Thread Information