Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Cool thread

Yeah, like some others I had a bunch of kiddie records and crap my folks bought me. But my first album, the reward for mowing lawns for cash, was none other than....

Yeaah...%$@# tha Police.

The first 45 I bought was The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There.
    The first 8-track I ever bought myself was Queen - A night at the Opera. After that I picked up a bunch of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, Boston, Cheap Trick, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, ELO, ELP, etc. Also made a ton of recordings off the radio onto cassette.
    The first record was Rush 2112. Then, a whole lot more Rush.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Here's mine...

Went to the store - A&A Records on Ste. Catherine St. in Montreal to buy EJ's "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player", but they were out of stock, but dag nab it I was determined to buy something.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

8-Track: scary

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The first 45 I bought was The Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There.
    The first 8-track I ever bought myself was Queen - A night at the Opera. After that I picked up a bunch of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, Boston, Cheap Trick, Yes, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, ELO, ELP, etc. Also made a ton of recordings off the radio onto cassette.
    The first record was Rush 2112. Then, a whole lot more Rush.
    If there was ever a POS technology it had to be 8-track. I managed to avoided it on advice from a wise engineer acquaintance who assured me casstte was the better technlogy. Haha! Beta was also the better techlology so I bought that: can't win 'em all.

So my very first sound, (I hesitate to say hifi), compenent was a Sony cassette deck as mentiond. Come to think of it one of the first, perhaps the first pre-recorded cassette I bought was "Switched on Bach" by Wendy (then still Walter) Carlos.

When soon after I got my first TT, one of my earlest LPs was Carlos' "Well Tempered Synthesizer"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First album you bought.-wendycarlos.jpg  

As best I can recall, it was either...

...Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung' or Bloodrock III. I bought a number of 45s prior to those two LPs, but they wouldn't count.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    If there was ever a POS technology it had to be 8-track. I managed to avoided it on advice from a wise engineer acquaintance who assured me casstte was the better technlogy. Haha! Beta was also the better techlology so I bought that: can't win 'em all.

So my very first sound, (I hesitate to say hifi), compenent was a Sony cassette deck as mentiond. Come to think of it one of the first, perhaps the first pre-recorded cassette I bought was "Switched on Bach" by Wendy (then still Walter) Carlos.

When soon after I got my first TT, one of my earlest LPs was Carlos' "Well Tempered Synthesizer"
    I remember being a kid and my older cousin bought a new something or other and gave me his old 8-track player and a stack of tapes. I remember some of the tapes were ELO's Out of the Blue, Elton John's Good-bye Yellow Brick Road, and Supertramp's Crime of the Century. There were others but those are the ones that I specifically remember. I think that I played the ELO tape until I wore it out. I don't remember what happened to that old 8-track. It probably broke and I threw it out. But those old tapes were a big influence on me. I had completely forgotten about that until just now. Thanks for the memory jolt Feanor. I should call my cousin and thank him!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung' or Bloodrock III. I bought a number of 45s prior to those two LPs, but they wouldn't count.

Swish
    Excuse me while I shake my head and clear my brain from the disbelief. You bought a Jethro Tull album?!!!!

Forum Regular
    i¨ll play I do not recall properly but it was Three dog night live or the bee gees best vol 1, ah the memories

Forum Regular
    speaking of memories also recall putting records on lay-away at the penny store ( Maclelans or kress) I had a whole month to pick them so a buck a week ( 4-5 dlls single albums 8-12 doubles ) back in early 70´.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

Have you ever noticed how many excellent classic albums were released in 1969? That seems to be a stand out year for R&R.
    Hey mr p, my friend you are right 1969 was a great year for music.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Fean: Something I found a while back....I'm a big fan....

Oh, yeah....
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 11-06-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    What's this thing you call..."album"?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Wow, some good ole R&R staples being mentioned here, 2112, Toys In The Attic & Crime of the Century, all still favorite albums that score a #10 with me.

Did somebody mentioned 8-track tapes? Those were fun. In a party, you could stick a tape in a player and it played all night long unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, like some others I had a bunch of kiddie records and crap my folks bought me. But my first album, the reward for mowing lawns for cash, was none other than....

I bet your parents were thrilled to have such a album playing in their house that talk about Ho's, gangbangs, driveby, drugs and killing police

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Did somebody mentioned 8-track tapes? Those were fun. In a party, you could stick a tape in a player and it played all night long unattended.
    Not to mention, hear more than one song at a time.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    You could actually hear more than one song at a time from an 8-track? Whoo.... I thought that was a side effect.....

You could actually hear more than one song at a time from an 8-track? Whoo.... I thought that was a side effect.....
    Despite all of 8-track shortcomings, must admit that when it worked it sounded pretty good. At least much better than cassette tapes.

Long time ago...

Was a long time ago, but one of the first was the original first pressing of Woodstock. It is the three album set with the red centers on the vinyl. Side one is opposite side six, two opposite five, and three opposite four. It worked great on our old console as you could stack em, play 1,2,3 then flip em all over and play 4,5,6. I have yet to see anyone with the same albums. All the others I have seen have 1,2-3.4-5.6 and have a light bluish pattern on the centers. I remember it was when I joined the Columbia record club and had like five free ones. I remember getting Woodstock, CSNY Deja Vu, one Who album. The others escape me. Since then I have upwards of 2000 albums. Just last week I went to a local mall where they had donated vinyl on for a buck each. Found a few diamonds in the rough, a signed copy from BJ Thomas 1969 greatest hits vol1, and a signed copy of a Gary&Sandy album. Spent 3 hours going thru them and got over 100 in pristine condition, many replacing my albums from the 60's 70's. Those years weren't kind to my vinyl.

One of my prized collections is I have a pristine versions of Black Sabbath, Paranoid, in 8 track, casette, vinyl, and CD formats.
    System:
    Cambridge Azur 640c-v2 player
    Technics SL V5 turntable
    Grado MF3-P cartridge
    TCC TC-760LC MM/MC Phono Preamp
    Aric Audio Tubre preamp with RCA 12au7 cleartops (installed on Adcom external processing loop)
    Adcom GFP-345 preamp
    Adcom GFA-5500 poweramp
    Paradigm 11semk3 speakers
    Monster connects and speaker cables.

It was. You'd have to adjust the matchbook cover, that was stuffed under the tape, to get just the one song to play right.

Lol

LOL...that famous book of matches wedge has to be remembered by all the 60's 8 trackies. On my first car I put an 8 track just below the ash tray assembly and found that I could get a cut off plastic tweaker screwdriver in there and adjust the head alignment without yarding out the whole unit. That was, of course, after you took the top off the player and got rid of that red goop they used to keep you from aligning it yourself.
    System:
    Cambridge Azur 640c-v2 player
    Technics SL V5 turntable
    Grado MF3-P cartridge
    TCC TC-760LC MM/MC Phono Preamp
    Aric Audio Tubre preamp with RCA 12au7 cleartops (installed on Adcom external processing loop)
    Adcom GFP-345 preamp
    Adcom GFA-5500 poweramp
    Paradigm 11semk3 speakers
    Monster connects and speaker cables.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Despite all of 8-track shortcomings, must admit that when it worked it sounded pretty good. At least much better than cassette tapes.
    Audio cassettes were never intended for hi-fi sound reproduction when they were designed. I think they were meant for things like dictation machines. All the noise reduction methods that came later could never really overcome the inherent limitations of the medium.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Forum Regular
    Not to mention, hear more than one song at a time.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 8 track recordings were a continuous loop, and had the same thing recorded on different tracks with different start points. You could instantly jump from one part of the recording to another by switching tracks.

The only experience I have with an 8 track player was playing around with one in a minibus when I was 16, back in 1972. It was a Rolling Stones greatest hits collection.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    Audio cassettes were never intended for hi-fi sound reproduction when they were designed. I think they were meant for things like dictation machines. All the noise reduction methods that came later could never really overcome the inherent limitations of the medium.
    Hey emesbee,

One could apply your apt observation to mp3s. If we were to insert "mp3s" for "Audio cassettes" your post would read equally well:

(mp3s) were never intended for hi-fi sound reproduction when they were designed. I think they were meant for things like dictation machines. All the noise reduction methods that came later could never really overcome the inherent limitations of the medium.

But they are awfully convenient.

Cheers,
    Bill

Suspended
    It was. You'd have to adjust the matchbook cover, that was stuffed under the tape, to get just the one song to play right.

* That's not quite the side effects I was talking about, more like effects of recreational activities at the time.

"How's my drivin'...... m-a-n?" "Uh....... man.... I think we're parked... man" "Ah... really"

8-track

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 8 track recordings were a continuous loop, and had the same thing recorded on different tracks with different start points. You could instantly jump from one part of the recording to another by switching tracks.

The only experience I have with an 8 track player was playing around with one in a minibus when I was 16, back in 1972. It was a Rolling Stones greatest hits collection.
    8-track was indeed a continuous loop, but the same thing was not recorded on different tracks. Four two-channel programs were recorded in parallel on the looped tape...thus 8 tracks. Changing from one channel to the next caused the player to move to a different area on the width of the tape.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information