Forum Regular

Old Geezer month and no one told me?

I cannot believe all these familiar names are here! I felt compelled tonight to see if this site still existed, I don't think I've looked at it for years.

I also can't believe ye old geezers are talking about DT too! They are my current most played band...Octavarium and Train of Thought got me through the work day today. I had the pleasure of catching DT on the Prog Nation tour this past summer. Three (one of the opening bands), was well worth sitting through. Sort of Strawbs meets Jethro Tull meets Metallica. Opeth I could do without but for some of their softer bits, and I can't recall the third opening band which is okay coz their music that night was forgetable. A bit too much of the growling vocals for my taste.

Since I've last been a regular I have been living with two growing little girls which have altered my lifestyle. No longer do I spend my evenings kicking back between the speakers spinning vinyl late into the night. I'm lucky if I can fire up the big rig once a month!

Other music I've been hearing a lot of:

Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus - hey, I did say I have 2 little girls...I can't escape this pop. If it's not playing on one of their boom boxes, they have it on the main TV stereo. But to critically tear her music apart...it's good pop! Derivative of the 80s (Kim Wilde, Go Gos) with a bit of 60s psychadelia thrown in at times. Some melodies are lifted straight from Corey Hart's "Sunglasses at Night", the Turtles "Happy Forever" but what 6 yr old is going to recognize that? And to top it off, the kid can sing! I don't apologize for knowing all her songs. I have spent many a wondeful evening jamming on guitar with my girls dancing and belting out Hannah Montana tunes.

Ayreon - the Final Experiment and the Human Equation. Haunting melodies, true concepet albums, cheezy lyrics at times (but it's translated into English as I understand it). I think DT's heavy sounds have led me down a path of heavier screaming guitars. I'm still a Steve Howe fanatic though, he won't be dethroned!

the Band - Music from Big Pink - I've never been a fan of this sort of stuff before, but I stumbled across a DVD called Raising Low which was about all these bass players joining ex-Band members for a Gov't Mule project. Tony Levin and Chris Squire were 2 of the bass players which is how I found it. So I figured I ought to give the Band a spin. Love their cover of "Long Black Veil"

Mothers of Invention - Freak Out! - nearly 10 years after Troy's Zappa comps made the rounds I finally submit myself to listening to a complete Zappa album repeatedly.

Neal Morse - his solo stuff, particularly One, I can't get enough of. Love the fat synth lines.

and just in case you are wondering, what are my girl's favs from daddy's stash:

The Sweet - "Ballroom Blitz" (they beg me to dust off Desolation Blvd and spin they vinyl)
    Dream Theater's cover of Metallica's "Damage Inc", "Solitary Shell" from 6 degrees
    Kim Wilde "Kids in America"

enough rambing! I hope to visit again someday.

tj

Dude, I cannot believe what I am seeing.

The last time I spoke to you, you had only one daughter and she had just stuck a Yes bootleg under the refrigerator. Remember that? (That would probably endear her to half the people on this board.)

Are you still playing the guitar?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teej
    I also can't believe ye old geezers are talking about DT too! They are my current most played band...Octavarium and Train of Thought got me through the work day today. I had the pleasure of catching DT on the Prog Nation tour this past summer. Three (one of the opening bands), was well worth sitting through. Sort of Strawbs meets Jethro Tull meets Metallica. Opeth I could do without but for some of their softer bits, and I can't recall the third opening band which is okay coz their music that night was forgetable. A bit too much of the growling vocals for my taste.
    Well, colour me jealous! I really wanted to see this tour. The forgettable band was Between the Buried and Me (or something close to that). I haven't heard them, but from what I've read about them I'm not missing anything. I'm a huge fan of Three however. They were supposed to open for Porcupine Tree last tour, but only the lead singer made it over the border into Canada. He played the set solo and totally rocked the house!

Ayreon - the Final Experiment and the Human Equation. Haunting melodies, true concepet albums, cheezy lyrics at times (but it's translated into English as I understand it). I think DT's heavy sounds have led me down a path of heavier screaming guitars. I'm still a Steve Howe fanatic though, he won't be dethroned!
    I'm also an Ayreon fan. Although Final Fantasy is my favourite. I haven't heard their latest, 01011001. Have you?

enough rambing! I hope to visit again someday.

tj
    I hope that you visit again someday too. It sounds like we have much in common musically. Cheers!

Been a banner month here at RR so far. Still a few posters we ain't seem yet, but quite the reunion nonetheless. Here's hoping it stays like this for a while.

Forum Regular
    I must have recovered that bootleg from under the fridge! Still playing guitar, working on the home studio and recording these days for fun.

MP3ing the Flower Kings' Adam and Eve at the office right now...probably my third listen to this album.

Okay, I"ve put the RR link in my bookmark bar. So I'll try to make sure I come back next week.

But now I'm going home, and will be listening to the new Steve Wilson CD on my iPod - Insurgentes.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Okay, I"ve put the RR link in my bookmark bar. So I'll try to make sure I come back next week.

But now I'm going home, and will be listening to the new Steve Wilson CD on my iPod - Insurgentes.
    So far, I'm 2 spins in. It grabs me from the get-go, but then my interest wanders. Perhaps the thrid time will be the charm for me.

And teej...you must be all-the-way old school, bro, because I've been here for 8 years and I don't remember you from Adam's housecat. But welcome back...the door is never closed, and the porch light's always on!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I been close to pulling the trigger on that new Wilson solo but the samples on his MySpace keep me from it...sounds not unlike his Blackfield stuff. After a couple of so-so Blackfield albums and an ok Porky Tree album, I'm afraid the dude is no longer an 'auto-buy' for me.

Forum Regular
    Hey Tj welcome to resurrection week, lets wait for demetrio to appear and dont tell yech.

Forum Regular
    Hi tj,

I guess you never made it to the ATL last fall?

Hope all's OK.

Dave

Dood!

Glad to hear you're a happy guy still. Me too.

Umphrey's McGee, man. You'll love 'em.

Forum Regular
    Never heard any of these guys stuff, any good, or would I hate 'em?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Never heard any of these guys stuff, any good, or would I hate 'em?

Dave
    No, they are good, you'd hate 'em! Try the new one "Mantis." Proggy, jazzy.

Dave, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't like the last two Umphrey's Mcgee albums. The musicianship and writing are steller. Similar to Echolyn's last album, but more accessible. I won't say they sound exactly like early Toto, but they're mining that same vein. Their music is more challenging than Toto's, but not complexity for complexity's sake. They write clever lyrics and clever music. They play and compose like they're diggin life and livin to play. Easily, the best of the year so far for me. This is one time you can believe the hype over at PE about this band.

If you don't like the new UM CD, I'll buy it from you - how's that for an endorsement. That's how confident I am you'll like it.

Thread Information