Forum Regular

The famous as crud Tuesday Toonage Thread!

Whatcha palyin?

For me:

The Stranglers - The Raven

Pendragon - Live

Crash Test Dummies

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!

Peter Tosh - Mytic Man

Bob Marley - Survival

Regards,

Dave_G

42 Regular
    I've been out of town, so all I've listened to were a bunch of my own comps (the most notable of which was my new Wilco retrospective).

But a couple of nights ago, I went to see Lost in Translation at the movies. I liked the indie-ish music so much I went out and bought the soundtrack. Some interesting stuff there, a lot of it from the guy from My Bloody Valentine (whose name escapes me).

I also had a real in-depth experience with Springsteen's Nebraska early on Sunday morning.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back in the swing...and sleeping in my own bed. Happy New Year, everyone!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    How embarrising.

I can't even speel.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Whatcha palyin?

Dave_G
    Palyin? Is that a new Prog Band Dave?

Been Spinning:

Lucinda Williams: World Without Tears, Car Wheels On A Gravel Road, Essence, and Sweet Old World. I'll never tire of her voice.

Sarah MacLachlan Afterglow

Lyle Lovett My Baby Don't Tolerate

Phish Live(can't remember which #)

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman Not For Kids Only

Sigur Ros ()

The Joe Walsh Anthology

Dats all folks.

JD

Not a whole lot, but here's what:

Phish - Hoist
    moe. - Warts and All, Vol 2
    Dave Matthews Band - Remember Two Things
    Derek Trucks - Joyful Noise
    Bob Marley - Legend
    Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

T-

Forum Regular

Heres what I will play + what has a good chance...

....since its in the stack of stuff there close to the cd player.

Room on fire - The Strokes

Mental Jewelry - Live

Rock Action - Mogwai

Source tags & codes - ..........Trail of Dead

Avalon - Roxy Music

Holiday season, not much toonage being spun here. I did get some goodies in the mail from young master Dave G tho.

Galahad- Sounds like an 80s hair band crossed with Marillion.

Arena- Sounds like one of them Magna Carta bands.

These 2 albums seem to lack depth and weight. Sorry Dave.

IQ20- Buncha live IQ stuff. Nice, but I prefer the studio cuts.

England "The Garden Shed"- a long lost 70s prog classic dubbed from some guy's clicky LP. Sounds kinda like Ambrosia or maybe IZZ. A true missing link.

Personally, I'm glad the holidays are over and life can get some normalcy and rhythm again.

And Dave, if you feel like an idjit for spelling poorly, there is an edit feature on this board where you can change your post.

Forum Regular
    Sorry Troy that those toons didn't float your boat, give them several more listens before throwing them away, esp. the Galahad.

Regards,

Dave

How embarrising.

I can't even speel.

Dave
    Hehehe... don't stop typo-ing, Dave G! Its one of the things I miss from the "old" board!

(I can't quite make out what Angry Duck is saying in your avatar...)

Snow

Sorry Troy that those toons didn't float your boat, give them several more listens before throwing them away, esp. the Galahad.
    Don't sweat it mang. That's part of the deal.

Did you enjoy the crap I sentcha?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    (I can't quite make out what Angry Duck is saying in your avatar...)
    I believe it says "Troy Hates Smilies".

Whatcha palyin?

For me:

The Stranglers - The Raven

Pendragon - Live

Crash Test Dummies

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!

Peter Tosh - Mytic Man

Bob Marley - Survival

Regards,

Dave_G
    Mine's a lot like last week:

Sun Kil Moon, Ghosts of the Great Highway
    EZT, Goodbye Little Doll- indies/alties- go buy this disk
    Okkervil River- great stuff
    Lyle Lovett, the newest one- sounds good

and others, and lots of old vinyl- Son of Schmilsson has been jumping onto the turntable a lot.............
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Lots of stuff.

Chain - Reconstruct. Started by Henning Pauly in 1994 but never completed until recently. Very cool tunes.
    Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow. Written by the Chain guy, Henning Pauly, featuring Troy's favorite vocalist, James LaBrie. Not bad but Reconstruct is much better me thinks.
    The Tangent - The Music That Died Alone. I really liked this especially the Canterbury Sequence.
    Neal Morse - Testimony. If you can forgoe all of the religious overtones, this is really quite good. Maybe a little long in the tooth but still very good.
    Strawbs - Ghosts. The best Strawbs release imo. Excellent!
    Gov't Mule - The Deepest End. Outstanding live set.
    Banco - Io Sono Nato Libero. A true Italian prog classic although I do think their s/t first release is better.
    Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra. Another Italian prog classic.
    Island - Pictures. I bought this more out of curiousity than anything else. Recorded in 1977 this comes across to me as a weird blend of Lizard era Krim, ELP and Van der Graff Generator.
    Magellan - Impossible Figures. Nothing special but better than their last release.
    Miles Davis - The Complete B!tches Brew Sessions. Lots of folks don't get this or think it's a mess, or whatever but this simply blew me away on first listen. I had originally purchased just the 2CD remaster but liked it so much I went out and got the 4 CD complete sessions. The 4 CD version includes everything recorded from that session and has lots of added tracks. I can see why tunes got left off or edited out of the final released version. The extra tracks incorporate the sitar quite extensively which isn't one of my favorite instruments too listen to and overall, the extra tracks were less memorable and therefore less enjoyable. Anyway, for those that liked B!tches Brew, this is a must.
    Miles Davis - The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions. Another gem that just blew me away. Released after B!tches Brew, this has more of rock feel to it with John McLaughlin's superb guitar playing. This fusion era Miles Davis stuff is just killer to my ears.
    Last edited by DarrenH; 01-06-2004 at 10:40 AM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Been pulling out lots of older stuff to listen through the AR Diy speakers. It's been fun. For example-

Paul Simon-Rhythm of the Saints
    Gary Numan-Pure
    Switchblade Symphony-Calamities
    Stan Ridgway-Holiday In Dirt
    Tears For Fears-The Hurting

Some newer Stuff-
    Low Technicians
    The Gathering
    Cat Power
    The Stills
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Some borrowed things:
    Miles Davis-Live Around The World
    Kirsten Hirsch-Strange Angels

And some comps both new and old-
    Jar's end of year comp. Despite claims that he didn't get much new in 2003 he managed to pull of an awesome comp. A couple of the tracks are especially sweet. Of course I don't have it in front of me right now but I'll get back to that later

Unleash Heck's-Sham comp. I really liked it this time around so much more than at first. Wish I could find the track list as he didn't include any CD text.

Sounds Good! vol.1-remember that group effort? Well it does indeed sound good.

And a couple of others that, and I apologize to the authors, escape me at the moment.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow. Written by the Chain guy, Henning Pauly, featuring Troy's favorite vocalist, James LaBrie. Not bad but Reconstruct is much better me thinks.
    I love LaBrie's voice. Do you think that this is something that I would enjoy? Can you tell me a bit more about the musical style?

Thanks!
    FA

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I love LaBrie's voice. Do you think that this is something that I would enjoy? Can you tell me a bit more about the musical style?

Thanks!
    FA
    It's Dream Theater lite. And if you didn't know what you were listening to you'd swear it was a Dream Theater release mostly because LaBrie vocalizes on the entire thing. It also has some similiarity to Chain's Reconstruct which Henning wrote as well only with a different vocalist. You may not have heard that one yet.

Anyway, it's actually pretty good. I like this better than the DT's own release back in November which I didn't care for very much. Of course, ymmv.

I owe you a something I think. Shall I send you a copy?

Darren

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    It's Dream Theater lite. And if you didn't know what you were listening to you'd swear it was a Dream Theater release mostly because LaBrie vocalizes on the entire thing. It also has some similiarity to Chain's Reconstruct which Henning wrote as well only with a different vocalist. You may not have heard that one yet.

Anyway, it's actually pretty good. I like this better than the DT's own release back in November which I didn't care for very much. Of course, ymmv.

I owe you a something I think. Shall I send you a copy?

Darren
    Thanks for the offer Darren, but you don't owe me anything. I'm placing an order with Amazon.com later this week for IZZ Sliver of A Sun which isn't available in Canada. Also, the TSO DVD which is half the price to order even after the currency exchange . I'll add the Frameshift disk to my order.

Any other recs before I finalize my purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Any other recs before I finalize my purchase?
    Cool, you're gonna take the plunge on the Frameshift. Do let me know what you think.

Can't think of anything else off hand unless that Chain CD interests you. And unless you like an all intrumental fusion-y style of music I would stay away from The Tangent. I just ordered Anathema's new release A Natural Disaster the other day. I hope it's as good as A Fine Day To Exit.

Oh, I don't know if you're into 70's prog that much but Strawbs - Ghosts or Hero and Heroine. These are fantastic albums. I can't believe they don't get talked about much by the proggers. Not even by the proggers at the progger bulletin boards. See if your brother has either of these and give them a listen.

Darren

Correction: The Tangent does feature vocals by Roine Stolt and Andy Tillison. My mistake.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar
    Whatcha palyin?
    Little of this; little of that:

White African - Otis Taylor (gettin' a bit tired of it, to tell the truth)

Walking into Clarksdale (or is that Last Train to Clarksville?) - Page and Plant (bleeeeech!)

True Stories - Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers (jury's still out on this one, but why the hell he added that mediocre sax player and then let him have free rein on a substantial number of the tunes mystifies the crap outta me)

Get the Blues 2 - Various Artists. Making the best first impressions: Happy Valentine's Day (great Shemekia Copeland torch song), Streamline Woman (Muddy Waters), Hey Jose (Ronnie Earl), Wade in the Water (Blind Boys of Alabama), I'm A Woman (Koko Taylor in smokin' form), and Healthy Mama (Smokin' Joe Kubek). Can't do much better for a $2 investment--brand new at Borders.

Comps: Swish's Super Furry Animals (Rings Around the World Disc 1). Gonna have to let this one settle in before I can really say what I think of it.

My own unsolicited comp. One of my personal favorites.
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Thread Information