Favorite musical epics?

Printable View

• 06-18-2004, 06:16 AM
    Dave_G
    First of all I can't believe this thread is getting up to 40 posts, pretty damn good.

Secondly, I think that Roger Waters was and is still the best member of Pink Floyd.

I have seen PF without him ( bummer ) and have seen him solo several times.

PF sans RW relies too much on lights, foof, and "show", to cover his abscence.

RW solo is killer. The R.A.D.I.O.K.A.O.S. concerts were some of the best ever.

David Gilmore of course was/is a key member, but I think PF was "Rogers Band" so to speak. Kind of like when PG left Genesis.

Any doubters need only watch the RW concert dvd called "In The Flesh". That sums it all up for me.

But all of this is just my opinion, folks.

Dave
  • 06-18-2004, 05:54 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Secondly, I think that Roger Waters was and is still the best member of Pink Floyd.

I disagree completely. My favourite has well gone to Gilmour at this point. I mean, listen to the bassline of "One of these Days", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pt. ...7? is it?", and "Sheep". You say "reinvents himself", I say "repeats himself".
    Quote:

I have seen PF without him ( bummer ) and have seen him solo several times.

PF sans RW relies too much on lights, foof, and "show", to cover his abscence.
    Dude! Have you heard about their earlier concerts? They used to depend on foof, show, lights, lasers, volume (enough to kill fish, at one particular incident), huge inflatable octopuses, and other such "spectacle" -- that's one of the reasons I love them so much. Sure, it's visual smoke and mirrors, but they've got the music to back it up. My favourite kind of concert is when it's the best of both worlds. A lost art. It's one of the reasons I liked Sigur Rós live so much -- although completely different form of visuals (mesmerizing, rather than explosive or amusing), it's still a "best of both worlds" type of scenario, and perfectly suited to their music.

But I digress...my point was, Pink Floyd have always had a flashy stage show, and are not using it to cover Roger's ommission. On the contrary, I applaud them for hiring multiple additional musicians to pull it all off live, rather than having half of it pre-recorded, as is too often the case.
    Quote:

David Gilmore of course was/is a key member, but I think PF was "Rogers Band" so to speak.
    Hardly. He only really took over around 1978/1979 or so, during the writing of the wall. Look at the writing credits to Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and Wish You Were Here to get a better idea of whose band it is.
    Quote:

Kind of like when PG left Genesis.
    Excellent analogy, but I don't think it makes your point, I think it makes mine.
    Quote:

Any doubters need only watch the RW concert dvd called "In The Flesh". That sums it all up for me.
    Convinces me of nothing.

Not meant as a flame post/response, but you just said a lot of things with which I heartily disagree. Cheers.
  • 06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
    progfan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

On the contrary, I applaud them for hiring multiple additional musicians to pull it all off live, rather than having half of it pre-recorded, as is too often the case.

Well, they had no problem pulling it off live in the seventies without all those extra musicians. Sure, they had a sax player and couple of backing vocalists, but not 2 or 3 guitarists, 2 keyboard players, 2 percussionists, 3 backing singers, a horn player like they did recently. I had the same problem when The Who reunited for their 1989 tour. It just wasn't The Who with all those extras hanging around. Tommy sounded far too corny with all the window dressing.

Quote:

He only really took over around 1978/1979 or so, during the writing of the wall. Look at the writing credits to Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and Wish You Were Here to get a better idea of whose band it is.Excellent analogy, but I don't think it makes your point, I think it makes mine.Convinces me of nothing.
    Well, Gilmour is only co-credited with one song on Animals (Dogs). And Waters wrote all the lyrics for Dark Side and WYWH. The others made some contributions to the songs pre Animals, but if you tallied everything up, clearly Waters wrote the most. Personally, I don't like the idea of Floyd without both Waters and Gilmour.

And Genesis put out some great albums after PG left. What about "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering"? :)
  • 06-18-2004, 10:00 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by progfan
    And Waters wrote all the lyrics for Dark Side and WYWH.

Lyrics, schmyrics, I was talking about the music.
    Quote:

The others made some contributions to the songs pre Animals, but if you tallied everything up, clearly Waters wrote the most.
    Again, I wasn't talking about the lyrics, I was talking about the music.
    Quote:

And Genesis put out some great albums after PG left. What about "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering"? :)
    Exactly.
  • 06-18-2004, 10:11 PM
    DarrenH
    Getting back to the original question. Not that there's anything wrong with a good Floyd discussion......

The Necromancer - Rush (Caress of Steel) 12:30
    The Fountain of Lamneth - Rush (Caress of Steel) 19:59

I just revisited this album today and I must say this rawks. The whole album is highly under-rated imo. One of my fav Rush albums.

Baker St. Muse - Jethro Tull (Minstrel In The Gallery) 16:40

One of my most favorite Tull songs from one of my most favorite Tull albums.

Pharoah's Dance - Miles Davis (B!tches Brew) 20:05
    Miles Runs The Voodoo Down - Miles Davis (B!tches Brew) 14:01

Not a lot of love for BB around here but this smokes to my ears. Great, great stuff.

Right Off - Miles Davis (Tribute To Jack Johnson) 26:54

If ya didn't like BB you might groove to this. Fantastico.

Nine Feet Underground - Caravan (In The Land of Grey and Pink) 22:40

Excellent Canterbury style riffin' and rockin'. I dig this stuff.

Salisbury - Uriah Heep (Salisbury) 16:22

This is flat out one of the best songs Uriah Heep ever wrote. It rules!

Darren

Edit: I have to add this. Can't believe I overlooked it.

Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd (Atom Heart Mother) 23:43
  • 06-20-2004, 08:39 AM
    DPM
    My turn.
    1) Isildurs Bane/The Flight Onward from Mind Volume 1
    2) Led Zeppelin/Achilles Last Stand from Presence
    3) Led Zeppelin/In My Time Of Dying from Physical Graffiti
    4) Jethro Tull/Baker St. Muse from Minstrel In The Gallery
    5) Porcupine Tree/Russia On Ice from Lightbulb Sun
    6) White Willow//Gnostalgia from Sacrement
    7) Deep Purple/Child In Time from In Rock
    8) Jane's Addiction/Three Days from Ritual de lo Habitual
    9) King Crimson/Starless from Red
    10) Djam Karet/Feast Of Ashes from Burning The Hard City
    11) Porcupine Tree/Buying New Soul from Recordings
    12)Porcupine Tree/Even Less (full length version) from Recordings

Dave M
  • 07-03-2004, 07:09 PM
    Mark of Cenla
    Kansas - "Song for America"

Camel - "The Snow Goose"

Jethro Tull - "A Passion Play"

Spock's Beard - "Flow", "The Great Nothing"

Transatlantic - "Stranger in Your Soul"
  • 07-05-2004, 05:15 AM
    audiobill
    Two More.....
    I'm enjoying reading this thread, esp. the PF discussion -- you'd think this was Rocky Road the way RRers are getting passionate about an old band....he,he,he,he......

Two more oldies for ya:

1. CSNY's "Suite Judy Blue Eyes"

2. The Who's "Doctor Jimmy/The Rock/Love, Reign O'er Me" -- from Quadrophenia (this is a bit of a cheat, but I consider these one song)

Cheers,
    audiobill