For fans of beautifully bleak and melancholy indie rock...

Space rock is cool too, but if I really really really wanna get into the music, give me someone like Black Heart Procession or Willard Grant Conspiracy or Nick Cave. That's where I live the most. There isn't a better song in the last 10 years than 'A Light So Dim' by BHP. For me

Soooooo, got lots of cool stuff in the last couple weeks. That Mid-Summer Set from Sloshy that's been making the rounds is pretty nice. And that new Stephen Malkmus has its moments, but not nearly the epiphany generator that he claims. Still, not bad. Couple nice ones to try out from my good buddy tentoze. Not really the Al Kooper fan that he is, but can't complain. This new one is some unexpectedly nice stuff. And Stoney set me up with a couple to try out. And Mikey set me up with half a truckload, including the new Mountain Goats and Richmond Fontaine and Editors and a whole bunch of others. Very nice people around here. Still tons of new stuff left over from curating the CRSV10 too. Even a couple copies of that one going out of here next week. Sorry for the delay.

But as usual, what I always wind up listening to the most is the newest comp I've cooked up. And this latest one has been on the burner for awhile now, but I've gotten some new gems in the last couple months that have given it a little different direction from the one I started with. I always wanted to make a follow-up to my Twilight comp, and I did make a few attempts in the past, but always gave up and changed direction. And this latest one has a similar story. It does borrow heavily from the artists and the melancholy sound of that earlier one, but doesn't have the same ovearall feel. No overt excursions into alt-country on this one, but still a healthy dose of melancholy, fueled by the likes of the title-bearers, The Black Heart Procession. And some old Joy Division even creeps in about halfway through. And a lot more Neil Young influence surfaces on this one. And some brit-rock makes it into the mix early on this one, in place of the soul that came out at the end of Twilight. Similar...but different. Kind of a nice comp, but probably not a crowd pleaser. A few of you that I owe stuff to will probably get a copy ... whether you want one or not

Doesn't look like there has even been a post here in the last couple days except for me and Demetrio. Guess it really is time to turn out the lights. Where did everybody go?
    Last edited by Davey; 08-14-2005 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

Doesn't look like there has even been a post here in the last couple days except for me and Demetrio.
    What am I, chopped liver? I figured my post in the Tunesday thread put everyone to sleep for a long, long time. Actually, I was formulating the outlines of an ITunes vs. Musicmatch post that may approach War & Peace for epic proportions...

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Doesn't look like there has even been a post here in the last couple days except for me and Demetrio.
    What am I, chopped liver? I figured my post in the Tunesday thread put everyone to sleep for a long, long time. Actually, I was formulating the outlines of an ITunes vs. Musicmatch post that may approach War & Peace for epic proportions...
    But but but your post has a date of 8-11 and today is 8-13. Isn't that two days by your New York calendar? Or do you move at a different pace than us mere mortals? Yo La Tengo merely a third rate Sonic Youth? Hehehe, you do go off on some strange excursions at some of those other sites. I'd have to say that in the last ten years SY is barely a third-rate YLT, but opinions do vary. YLT is definitely much much higher on my desert island list

Very cool comp cover, dAvey.

What are those?? Bats??

Or melancholic grapes on the vine??

audiobill

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Very cool comp cover, dAvey.

What are those?? Bats??

Or melancholic grapes on the vine??

audiobill
    It's actually from the liner notes of the Black Heart Procession '2' CD that I reference. Just scanned it in and massaged it to use it for the cover. Just fit my bats in the cave like mood

BTW, there's a place near Yosemite that me and my buddy go backpacking that also has a big population of bats that come out at night. It's kind of a beach area and if you are around the water at night the bats are swooping all around your body to nab the mosquitos. There's really nothing much cooler.

The date looks like 8/12 to me! I put it up in the middle of the night here but it looked like nothing at all was posted the rest of the day yesterday. As for SY vs. YLT...you read what that guy said about the Beatles & you think my excursions are strange? I rarely listen to my SY recs & almost never turn to YLT. When I saw YLT about 9 or 10 years ago, their performance was what I described as 3rd-rate SY, and everyone in the group of people I was with agreed with that observation. When I saw SY they were pretty amazing, even though they weren't then & aren't now the sort of band I'd listen to on any kind of regular basis...but I'd been told they were a band you had to see to 'get.' I swear, if I hadn't known who was playing when I saw YLT, I would've thought it was SY after a few pints of Nyquil or something. Really.

I guess I should mention I've been listening to jazz & r&b comps all day, some Charlie Parker, & the Burning Ambitions punk comp JC was so kind as to send my way awhile back.

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    The date looks like 8/12 to me! I put it up in the middle of the night here but it looked like nothing at all was posted the rest of the day yesterday. As for SY vs. YLT...you read what that guy said about the Beatles & you think my excursions are strange? I rarely listen to my SY recs & almost never turn to YLT. When I saw YLT about 9 or 10 years ago, their performance was what I described as 3rd-rate SY, and everyone in the group of people I was with agreed with that observation. When I saw SY they were pretty amazing, even though they weren't then & aren't now the sort of band I'd listen to on any kind of regular basis...but I'd been told they were a band you had to see to 'get.' I swear, if I hadn't known who was playing when I saw YLT, I would've thought it was SY after a few pints of Nyquil or something. Really.

I guess I should mention I've been listening to jazz & r&b comps all day, some Charlie Parker, & the Burning Ambitions punk comp JC was so kind as to send my way awhile back.
    OK, I should have just said 45 hours (instead of a couple days) since your post was on 8-11 at 9:09 on my California clock. And I did read your long Tuneday post, and I can now say definitively that it was not written by chopped liver

Hehehe, I didn't read the whole thread at AA so not sure what others had to say, but no doubt you're right that yours wasn't the strangest comment. Gets kind of childish over there at times. But I did see your YLT comment so just thought I'd mention that I disagree. Really matured into a great band in the last decade or so, for me anyway.

EDIT: Oh, forgot about the "strange excursions". That wasn't actually intended to be a reflection on your post at the other place, just my whimsical comment on the nature of the threads you sometimes get involved in. Those long threads that go back and forth critiquing each others taste in music just don't really do anything for me, so I usually stay away and hence they seem like a strange excursion to me, as viewed from the sidelines. Sorry, poor choice of words. Although some of your posts are a bit strange as well, but that's really a different subject
    Last edited by Davey; 08-14-2005 at 07:05 AM.

That Burning Ambitions set is really good fun. I've got an old copy on vinyl somewhere. Great cover parody of Sgt/ Peppers with punks and such taking the places of the people opn the Peppers cover. If I remember right, the CD version may have more tracks, but I can't recall for sure.

As long as Ive inrterrupted, I may as well beg for a comp here as well. Let me know if you need my address.

Oh...and I actually liked Yo La tengo when I saw 'em live. They opened fopr someone, although I forget who, but I remember really liking them. Then, I grabbed one of their records and was much less impressed with what they recorded. Nowhere near as noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    As long as Ive inrterrupted, I may as well beg for a comp here as well. Let me know if you need my address.

Oh...and I actually liked Yo La tengo when I saw 'em live. They opened fopr someone, although I forget who, but I remember really liking them. Then, I grabbed one of their records and was much less impressed with what they recorded. Nowhere near as noisy.
    No need to beg. I'll ship a copy to lauren circle.

Yo La Tengo has gotten pretty quiet on their later albums, but Electr-o-pura and I Can Hear .. both have some pretty noisy stuff. Mostly controlled though, and Ira thankfully never evolved into somebody who feels the need to go off in every song. Love it when he does though. Makes it all the more special, but he knows that he's not Hendrix, or Lou Reed, or even Thurston Moore. Their biggest asset in my mind is that underlying vulnerability and the palpable imagery in songs like "Damage", where you're immediately transported to nighttime in Lower Manhattan, and you're walking in the guy's shoes, and you feel the broken heart and the damage done, and it all comes just from some beautiful droning feedback that snakes through the song, ebbing and flowing, along with a few simple lyrics ...

Not much Friday night, pinball, Lower East Side
    Walked halfway past and into the bar
    I used to think about you all the time
    I would think about you all the time
    Now it just feels weird, that there you are
    The damage is done

Feeling like a kid again, my eyes are glued to the floor
    I hope I mumbled goodbye as you walked out the door
    The damage is done

gracias mi hombre....

and, I may as well add that I personally think Sonic Youth is and has always been way overrated. I do like listening to Goo from time to time though, and I like parts of Daydream Nation a bunch. Still, to me, they have way too much filler in their catalog...and many of their songs for that matter.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Ooh, ooh, me me me me me !

Please.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Ooh, ooh, me me me me me !

Please.
    Oh wow, I didn't see this until right now. When did you post this? Wait, nevermind, I'm sure there's a time on it. What, over 3 days ago? Hehehe, guess I must've missed a couple posts

I just went to the PO today and sent out a few copies and I'll print out some more covers on Monday and send you one. It has turned out to be one of my favorite comps of all time (but ya know, comps only go back to the middle of 2000 for me). Totally cool from start to finish. Almost like I had a producer, or someone smart on hire, to iron out my goofy tendency to pull oblique stuff out of my ass and stick it in the middle of my comp. As you can see from the cool cover, this one is absolutely flawless throughout the crucial middle section. And it starts and finishes the same way. I'd call it brilliant, but then that would make me sound like a cad. And we all know I'm much too modest for that kind of self promotion. I'll wait until others hear it and let them kick out the jams in my honor. To paraphrase that pillar of the indie community, the one with the YLT initials that I love and you say, "s-ok nothing that special," genius + love = light so dim

Don't know how much sense that all made, so to say it another way, sure. Copy soon. Could you do me a favor and PM me that PO box again? I seem to keep purging my mail list for some odd reason. Obviously it's related to my encroaching senility, but I'd appreciate it if you'd keep that comment to yourself.

Hey, I like beautifully bleak and melancholy indie rock. Maybe I should try this comp.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Whooptee
    Hey, I like beautifully bleak and melancholy indie rock. Maybe I should try this comp.
    Maybe you should. Sometimes I think I could probably live comfortably, at least for a while (and probably quite a while), with your music collection instead of mine. Not too many people I could say that about, but sometimes I get the feeling that we're almost like two sides of the same coin. Sure, most of the time you live in a twangier world than me, and I often probably live in a poppier world than you, but the core is very often the same with a lot of VU and Neil Young and Stones type of stuff. Sometimes it seems like we're just so totally in tune that it's kind of weird. But yeah, you'd probably like this comp. Pretty strong on my core values and not much new, but feels comfortable

I'll send out a couple more next week to you and Dusty. Anyone else? Going once ... going twice ... last call ...

Anyone else? Going once ... going twice ... last call ...
    OK I'll take one too. I wasn't going to but now that you've confessed that you're really just a West Coast version of Whooptee, you've concinced me that this comp is probably worth my precious listening time.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    OK I'll take one too. I wasn't going to but now that you've confessed that you're really just a West Coast version of Whooptee, you've concinced me that this comp is probably worth my precious listening time.
    Hey, I'm not so pathetic yet that I need your pity requests. At least allow me some little shred of dignity

Hope Whooptee didn't take offence at that comparison. My taste in music does compare pretty well with quite a few of you around here, yourself included, except you all have a few strange quirks and abhorrent lapses in taste that would be hard to live with. Know what I mean

PS - wait'll ya hear the Andrew Bird closer. If "Fake Palindromes" still doesn't turn you into a fanatic then there's just something wired wrong in your pleasure zone.

The other three went out this morning with a little bonus disk tucked in each package. Hope you all get your money's worth. If not, just follow Swish Daddy's lead and leave it at your favorite pub while in the ladies room adjusting your ill-fitting brassiere. Or Dave Geezer's advice and leave it on the bike trail. Or SunBun's advice and "accidentally" leave it on the bus. Or just tell everyone it was "stolen" while on vacation. Hehehe, yeah baby, that's the ticket. Damn street urchins!

NP: Whooptee's bonus disk, the sunset, the void, the flaming stars

Just got mine last night. I'll be listening today...thanks.

Thread Information