Thread: Fang Island

Fang Island

AllMusic: The Brooklyn-based indie rock outfit Fang Island crafts impossibly heavy, hymn-like anthems that blend the uplifting and accessible hard rock melodiousness of Andrew W.K. and the D.I.Y. recording style of Surfer Blood with the offbeat tech-heavy progressive metal of bands like Protest the Hero and Sparta. Formed in Providence as an art project while the members were all attending the Rhode Island School of Design, the band (comprised of guitarist Jason Bartell, bassist Michael Jacober, guitarist Chris Georges, guitarist Nicholas Andrew Sadler, and drummer Marc St. Sauveur) released its eponymous debut album through the Sargent House label in early 2010.

I heard this & thought immediately of Titus Andronicus- I think you guys that like them may like them.

Anyone wants to hear it, lemme know. Also got the Karnivool that Troy was talking about in his Porcupine Tree concert thread.

Masterpiece - that's the only word that can accurately describe Karnivool's second album "Sound Awake". The follow-up to their debut full-length release "Themata" not only matches their previous effort, but also surpasses it in many ways.

This album is EPIC. It sends listeners on a 72 minute journey through various musical landscapes from sonic atmospheric arrangements to pure rif***e heaven. Each and every band member shines, but special mention must be given to drummer Steve Judd, and bassist Jon Stockman whose performances border on virtuoso. Producer and mixer Forrester Savell has done a superb job yet again on this record. Each member is clear in the mix, and the various landscapes of sound are captured impeccably.

This album is filled with various time signatures. But don't let this put you off if you’re not a musician by trade as these are pulled off flawlessly and the time and key changes are integrated beautifully. The instrumentation on this album is nothing short of complex, but the band still stays true to its melodies and fit the two together seamlessly.

Now this wouldn't be a well balanced review if I didn't mention a few negatives, but the only negative I have is one that will probably turn into a positive with time. Confused? Allow me to explain - Sound Awake takes a number of listens to before its true greatness is fully unveiled. It doesn't have a great number of hooks that grab you at first listen, so this could be seen as a negative. But with each listen this album grows stronger and stronger and you start hearing things you didn't notice previously. So with time this negative turns into a positive as it breeds longevity. I'm on my tenth listen and still enjoying different elements on each listen!
    I don't need to go through and analyse each song individually because they are all strong.

The three highlights(*) for me are New Day, All I Know, and Illumine... oh and Deadman, Change, and The Caudal Lure. Picking a set few highlights from such a thorough album really is that difficult!

I haven't given an album 5 stars before, but this album is as close to perfect as you are ever going to get, so giving it anything other than 5 stars would be an injustice.
    A massive 5 out of 5.

He's baaaaaaaaaack.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

AND I'LL GET TO FUCK BROOKE SHIELDS...

Oh wait, wrong band.....
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Sounds intriguing FP. I'm on my cellphone so I can't see any links and Java based navigator won't work with MySpace. Plus I'm just getting back from my two-day suspension
    I'll look'em up when I get home.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    AND I'LL GET TO FUCK BROOKE SHIELDS...

Oh wait, wrong band.....
    Ok, I'm lost.

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    What is rif***e supposed to say?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    What is rif***e supposed to say?
    Doesn't this forum dislike FAGs? Insert where needed.

Wow, dem are deep.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    can't open link
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    can't open link
    You ain't missin' a damn thing.

Thread Information