What a comeback by the Flyers.

I was ready to smash my TV with the pathetic job the refs were doing in this game. Hartnell makes a clean hit on Rod Brind 'Amour, who had his head down (didn't you learn anything from your years with Eric Lindros), then gets attacked by Borer, a clear case of instigating that is not called. Hartnell, who goes on to score a hat trick, pummels the idiot who leaves the ice with blood streaming down his face, but draws an equal 5 for fighting.Then one of the Flyers gets hit from behind into the boards, a clear boarding penalty, and nothing is called, so the Flyers retaliate and get called for instigating and Carolina gets a 2 man advantage, score a goal to go up 4-1, then another to go up 5-1 because of the major.. I was ready to drive to Philly to kick some ass over the poor calls, and the fans were going crazy.

But with a 5-1 deficit at the end of 2 periods, they come back to tie it 5-5 and win the mother in a shoot-out. I would surmise that there are probably fewer than 1 or 2 comebacks from 4 goal deficits in a 10 year period, especially when starting the 3rd period, but I'd have to check that statistic. They really did get the shaft from the zebras, but were able to overcome it and are inching toward the league-leading Rangers who have played an extra 3 or 4 games I believe. It's only a matter of time until they're in first place. Watch and learn.

Swish - feelin' good after a couple Racer 5 IPAs.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ........the league-leading Rangers who have played an extra 3 or 4 games I believe.
    Uhmmmm.... You do know there's a western conference, right? I would look at San Jose and Detroits record.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hhmmm. Looks pretty impressive on paper (box score). I'm not sure about "watch and learn" but that may be the brewskies talkin". In any case, this version of the Flyers has become significantly more interesting to watch since having settled down from their opening day chaos. Good stuff.

I was watching the Colombus/Nashville game. I'm going to be in St.Louis and Columbus in January and I'm considering seeing one or both teams play. I like Rick Nash but whoever the competition is may be the clincher. Columbus is kind of boring team.

St. Louis, of course, is little better than an AHL team but they are entertaining.

Nice Lindros reference, btw. You must mean a lil' somethin' like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVeqzYgTELk

Right now I'm waiting for Shelley/Parros round 2.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I meant to type 'division leading'....

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Uhmmmm.... You do know there's a western conference, right? I would look at San Jose and Detroits record.
    ...which you should understand since I only mentioned the Rangers. My bad. (I hate that term)
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Yeah, those Racer 5 IPAs come in 22 ounce bottles...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'm not sure about "watch and learn" but that may be the brewskies talkin".
    ...and they're something like 6.5 ABV, so I was feeling no pain.

Swishdaddy

...which you should understand since I only mentioned the Rangers. My bad. (I hate that term)
    Just bustin' ya. As much as I dislike the Rangers, they did my 'Nucks a big favor by picking up Naslund and makin' room for a few blue collar players to teach them how to play a full 60 minutes.

Cheers,

LDB
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I was ready to smash my TV with the pathetic job the refs were doing in this game. Hartnell makes a clean hit on Rod Brind 'Amour, who had his head down (didn't you learn anything from your years with Eric Lindros), then gets attacked by Borer, a clear case of instigating that is not called. Hartnell, who goes on to score a hat trick, pummels the idiot who leaves the ice with blood streaming down his face, but draws an equal 5 for fighting.Then one of the Flyers gets hit from behind into the boards, a clear boarding penalty, and nothing is called, so the Flyers retaliate and get called for instigating and Carolina gets a 2 man advantage, score a goal to go up 4-1, then another to go up 5-1 because of the major.. I was ready to drive to Philly to kick some ass over the poor calls, and the fans were going crazy.

But with a 5-1 deficit at the end of 2 periods, they come back to tie it 5-5 and win the mother in a shoot-out. I would surmise that there are probably fewer than 1 or 2 comebacks from 4 goal deficits in a 10 year period, especially when starting the 3rd period, but I'd have to check that statistic. They really did get the shaft from the zebras, but were able to overcome it and are inching toward the league-leading Rangers who have played an extra 3 or 4 games I believe. It's only a matter of time until they're in first place. Watch and learn.

Swish - feelin' good after a couple Racer 5 IPAs.
    I watched this game...
    The Canes showed why they're one of the 3 most pathetic teams in hockey right now, more than the Flyers showed me they're more than just another playoff team, but yeah, a 4 goal comeback makes for exciting hockey and isn't easy to pull off against any team these days.

It happens more than you think - I can think of three seperate 5 goal comebacks last year alone. There may have been more? 2 years ago the Leafs blew a 5 goal lead to the Sabres in a game I was at...that was a rush. Only cause I hate the Leafs more than I hate the Sabres

As for the instigators...I'm not sure what the deal is but I'm with ya on the inconsistency. I know one of the linesmen in the NHL pretty well and he's told me that they're not calling it after big clean hits anymore or if players are rushing to the defence after a dirty hit, but he couldn't explain to me when they do call it now. Last 5 minutes of the game is a no-no, and if it's a blowout, the whole 3rd period is a no-no, but sounds like the want players to police themselves again, the way it should be. They just can't formally remove the rule because of the optics...
    Anyway, new directive from the league on instigating is to call it a lot less, and this is something that just came about in the last few months...looks like some refs didn't get the memo?

Thread Information