Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

This weekend, listen to an album...

...that you haven't listened to in at least a year (or should we make it two years?).

On Monday, tell us what you listened to, why you picked that one, and what you thought of it (at least) a year later.

It could be an album you loved and it just fell out of the spin cycle to make way for new things. Or maybe it was something you hated and, who knows, a year later you might feel differently about it.

I think that this could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    On Monday . . .
    Or Tuesday possibly.

I will try to do this.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Great idea, FA.

I don't like others.

42 Regular
    Yeah, I think I can do this too. Now, which one to pick...

(Happy Memorial Day weekend to my American friends!)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I've got too much new stuff to get to know but I did listen to Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss last night for the first time in ages and in fact I'm listening to an old album right now.

NP: Alice In Chains - Unplugged
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Hey, check this out re Memorial Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    (Happy Memorial Day weekend to my American friends!)
    I received the info below from my employer. I wasn't aware that the observance of Memorial Day was as global as it is. I guess you don't need to limit your sentiments to "American friends" only.

Memorial Day is a U.S. holiday, but its sentiments are universal. For instance, teammates in Australia and New Zealand celebrate Anzac Day, Canadians celebrate Remembrance Day, Russians celebrate V-Day, and Korean people also celebrate Memorial Day. Regardless of nationality, we all have our own ways of keeping alive the memories of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
    This Memorial Day, I suggest U.S. employees observe The National Moment of Remembrance for one minute at 3 p.m. local time. Sponsored by the White House Commission on Remembrance, which was established by Congress, the Moment is designed to honor America’s fallen soldiers and to recognize veterans and those who continue to serve. Within XXXX, we have additional reason to remember: Many employees serve today, are veterans, or have family members who have fallen in action.

Sorry, butt...

...that you haven't listened to in at least a year (or should we make it two years?).

On Monday, tell us what you listened to, why you picked that one, and what you thought of it (at least) a year later.

It could be an album you loved and it just fell out of the spin cycle to make way for new things. Or maybe it was something you hated and, who knows, a year later you might feel differently about it.

I'll be out of town, and will be subject to whatever the folks around me are playing.

Maybe I can just ask, "hey, do you have the first _________________ album? Mind putting it on?"

Happy frickin' Memorial Day to all the folks who are being killed in our little war.

fp

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I received the info below from my employer. I wasn't aware that the observance of Memorial Day was as global as it is. I guess you don't need to limit your sentiments to "American friends" only.

Memorial Day is a U.S. holiday, but its sentiments are universal. For instance, teammates in Australia and New Zealand celebrate Anzac Day, Canadians celebrate Remembrance Day, Russians celebrate V-Day, and Korean people also celebrate Memorial Day. Regardless of nationality, we all have our own ways of keeping alive the memories of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice...
    Uh, yeah, that's great. Did anyone happen to mention to your employer that Rememberance Day is in NOVEMBER!!!!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll look through some stacks of stuff and see what jumps out at me...

Did anyone happen to mention to your employer that Rememberance Day is in NOVEMBER!!!!
    I guess they forgot.

Forum Regular

I know it's not Monday yet...

...but I've already done it!

The album I chose was "Letter from Home" by the Pat Metheny Group. The reason I chose it was because I had just found a sealed copy of the LP on Ebay and I just received it in the mail. I have not listened the CD of it in about 2 (maybe 3) years. Don't know why...whenever I want to hear some older Pat I usually grab Still Life, Witchita, or PMG.

I listened to it this morning and I was really blown away. I have no idea why I haven't listened to the album in so long. It has a sound very similiar to Still Life (Talking) so whenever I was in the mood for "that sound" I would just put that CD on. Listening to Letter from Home again has made me realize how wrong I was. This is a very unique and beautiful album that deserves it's on category. As a result of this experience I listened to another PMG CD I hadn't listened to in a few years. "Secret Story" and I had a similiar
    experience.

I think this proves (at least for me) that when you have several CD's (or albums) by a certain artist you can sometimes get in the habit of playing the same one whenever you feel like hearing something by that artist. I do this all the time and many of my best music goes unplayed for years as a result. I need to make more of an effort to avoid this. I know I do this with Pink Floyd. Whenever I feel like listening to Floyd I go straight for "Wish You Were Here". Probably haven't heard DSOTM in a couple years either. Thanks for the experiment.

Hey FA, FInch, Stone...

Cute matching pictures.

I dug around and grabbed something I had pretty well forgotten all about. I really don't remember listening to the album more than briefly since I picked it up years ago on a whim. When I fira=st came across The Light is Flickering, a 1991 solo release by former Dead Kennedy's bass player Klaus Flouride, I was hoping for something a lot more hard and heavy than what I got. Thus, I listened once or maybe twice and cast it aside with disappointment.

Well, I pulled it out yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the thing upon a more open-minded listen. Flouride plays a variety of instruments well on the record, showing a surprising amount of dexterity as a multi-faceted musical talent. He plays string instruments, from guitar to bass to cello, along with electronics, pianos, some percussion and more. His vocals are nothing spectacular, but they serve the music pretty well.

What's the music sound like? Well, it's a bit hard to describe since the album really makes many twists and turns. He ranges from moody instrumental pieces to indie rock style pop songs that many here would probably enjoy, to a couple noisy, silly experiments to a couple delicate, pretty ballads such as Opaque, which really reminded me of a Belle & Sebastian song with its cynical lyrics and soft melody and cello backing. The funny thing is, the albums worst moments are when it tries to rock a bit. There's none of the punk rock fury you would expect, and the harder rocking numbers just come off as a little weak and generic instead.

I guess the contemplative black & white cover with Klaus staring to the side, looking all meloncholy next to a burning candle should have tipped me off originally that this wasn't going to be a rowdy affair. Unfortunately, my preconceptions had me casting aside an album that seems to have held up and aged well overall. I think this was the last solo thing he put out. Listening back, it seems a shame that he never did more.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, nice idea FA. I don't really have any that have gone unlistened for that long since I don't have many with me, but in the spirit I'll mention one I listened to this weekend that had gone unplayed for a couple years since I only have it on vinyl and don't have the turntable set up and blah blah blah...until a few weeks ago when it came to me in the form of a CD via tentoze. Richard Davies Telegraph. Real shame that it's been oop for awhile now, but still seems to be widely available on the used market. Really nice album and great sound too. This was his second solo after the split with Eric Matthews. There was one more after this in 2000, and then he seemed to vanish. I heard a rumor a couple years ago that there was a new album almost ready, and another rumor that he'd given up music and gone back into law practice. Just checked and it's fun to find that most of the reviews at amazon are 5-star. Guess there's a few of us old Richard Davies fans around. Some of that quirky goodness of Robyn Hitchcock, mixed with Nick Drake's emotional introspection, and Van Dyke Parks literary imagination. Somewhat reminiscent of another overlooked Canadian troubadoor, Ron Sexsmith. Think I slipped a copy into one of the CRS packages. Think it might've been yours. We'll see

Ron Sexsmith

We caught Ron Sexsmith in action a few years back, opening for Tom Cochrane at a free concert at the Canadian National Exibition (back when 'the Ex' used to be good and have some great free concerts).

I can't remember ever seeing someone so incredibly bad on stage! He was a disaster. We suspected that he was either very drunk or very stoned. Either way he made a total ass of himself.

Speaking of ass. Tom Cochrane kicked ass! We've seen him play several free concerts around town over the years and he's fantastic! If you ever get the chance to see him live, do it. It's a fun show.

We caught Ron Sexsmith in action a few years back....I can't remember ever seeing someone so incredibly bad on stage! He was a disaster. We suspected that he was either very drunk or very stoned. Either way he made a total ass of himself.
    Wow, that's too bad. I really like his albums and have read some nice things about his shows, but I guess the magic must not happen every night, eh? Hehehe, I think maybe the Ex Lion Tamer saw him once, or at least talked about the possibility. Haven't had the pleasure (?) myself.

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2002/10/0911.cfm

Sorry teach...the cat got my homework

I went to the cd rack yesterday and came up with about 5-6 albums for this "assignment". I ended up chosing Robbie Robertsons 1987 s/t release. I started listening on a discman while tilling the soil in our veggie garden, but Mrs. Trix came over to help, and I figured I'd better listen to her conversing, so off came the headphones

Later on my kids coerced us into spontaneous kitten adoption, and I spent the next hour driving around buying all the gear & food.

So anyway, I guess I get a "D" on this assignment. Great idea, and I promise to do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I went to the cd rack yesterday and came up with about 5-6 albums for this "assignment". I ended up chosing Robbie Robertsons 1987 s/t release. I started listening on a discman while tilling the soil in our veggie garden, but Mrs. Trix came over to help, and I figured I'd better listen to her conversing, so off came the headphones

Later on my kids coerced us into spontaneous kitten adoption, and I spent the next hour driving around buying all the gear & food.

So anyway, I guess I get a "D" on this assignment. Great idea, and I promise to do better next time.
    I'll consider giving you a "rewrite" if you promise to post pictures of kitty.

No success trying to upload a photo from work, I'll try from home later. Check your PM.

I listened to three albums this past weekend I haven’t listened to in quite a while.

Hoodoo Gurus - Crank
    I saw a poster of this in a movie I watched with my son, so I had to pull it out and listen to it. It really isn’t a bad album, and has a few really good straight ahead rock songs, but it still doesn’t really compare in quality to the first three albums from these guys.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Quite possibly my favorite Metallica album, and includes my favorite original of theirs, “Creeping Death.” This album always seemed like a transition from the all out thrash of Kill ‘Em All to the heavier, more structured and building songs of the succeeding albums.

These two were basically already in the queue, so I decided to pick one especially for this thread.

The Police - Outlandos d’Amour

This is the first time I’ve listened to this album straight through in its entirety in quite some time. For quite a while, it was a favorite of mine, and my favorite in the Police canon. Later, Ghost in the Machine would take its place atop the list of Police albums, but I’ve always enjoyed the bit of edge this one had that we’d never see again in the Police. I picked this one because I went looking through my CDs to find one that looked interesting that I hadn't listened to in a while. I saw this, and remembered a recent thread on obner about ranking the Police albums.

Before listening to it, based on memory, I’d have given it an 8.5 on a scale of 10. Now I give it a 7.5. Three songs really set themselves apart from the rest: “Next To You,” “So Lonely,” and “Can’t Stand Losing You,” the last of the three really showing off the reggae influence. That’s not to say the rest is bad. It isn’t. “Truth Hits Everybody” shows off the rocking ability these guys had and some of the punk leanings they had early on. Listening to this album 20 years after I first heard it leaves me wondering what my attraction was to songs like “Born in the 50‘s” was. It just didn’t do much for me this time around. Plus, the 9 minutes of the last two songs is about 4 minutes too much in my estimation. For starters, the goofy spoken word part of “Be My Girl - Sally” could be axed. I understand those lyrics give the song its “story” but it’s really a bit much, and gets tiring. But really these are relatively minor complaints, because I really do like most of the music and songs on this one.

Overall, I really enjoyed pulling this one out and listening to it for the first time in a long time, and it provided the soundtrack to my drive to see the gf the other night.. Great idea, FA.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

That's funny 'cause Ghost In The Machine landed on my short list of which disk to listen to. But I really wasn't in a Police kind of mood. Maybe next weekend....

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I love this audiea, FA, but unfortunately, all my disks more than a couple years recently listened to are in storage. I'll try to do better next weekend (besides, this last weekend was swamped).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Sunday evening I listened to David Gilmour's first solo album as I was driving across Pennsylvania. It had been a couple years since I'd last listened to it and I'd forgoten how much I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Sunday evening I listened to David Gilmour's first solo album as I was driving across Pennsylvania. It had been a couple years since I'd last listened to it and I'd forgoten how much I enjoy it.

Great album, I just played it a couple weeks ago.

I went for the Izzy Stradlin & the Ju Ju Hounds album. I felt like listening to something that sounded like the Rolling Stones in the mid-70s...and I've never really dug the Black Crowes. I like the cover of Pressure Drop, but although it's a good rec, it just doesn't rise to the level of something that inspires repeated spins. It is good, though, Izzy was, for my money, the most important member of Guns 'N Roses, & while I only have one other solo rec of his, I've always liked where he's coming from. It may be awhile before I pull this out again, but whenever I'm in the mood for this sort of thing, this is near the top of the list.

I don't like others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information