Driven like the snow

Printable View

• 04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
    bobsticks
    2 Attachment(s)
    Driven like the snow
    Snow and sleet, hail and rain, it's just not right having November in April. These days, for me, choke off alot of artistic avenues of expression or that is to say that the spritely airiness of chamber music or funky modernity off a jazz trio just doesn't do it. From the vaults on a day where it seems as if the creator is doing nothing more than documenting yr. demise:

Mum~The Peel Session Attachment 2564

Stripped down but still unpredictably lush for a "Peel Session" and even so in comparison to "...Today was O.K." or whatever the title of their debut is that's lost in the trunk of my car...lugubrious and unceremoniously ending with the apt "Ballad of the broken String"...

Audionom~Retrospektiv Attachment 2565

I read a review on this Powerkraut collection that said "Sounds like Hawkwind f***ing Einsturzende Neaubauten in the a$$", and whether or not this is complimentary I don't know but I would venture to say had this come out in 1979 we might not all be so concerned with love tearing us apart...

Peace
  • 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
    Rae
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I would venture to say had this come out in 1979 we might not all be so concerned with love tearing us apart...

But it didn't! And it wouldn't exist today if not for everything that had come before it. That's like saying that if the Exploding Hearts had been recording in 1976, nobody would care about the Buzzcocks. Or if Justin Timberlake had been born 25 years earlier, we wouldn't listen to Michael Jackson!

I haven't listened to that particular Múm session, but it sounds like it might be worth seeking out. It was actually nice here today-- the first sunshine after a week or two of cold & wind & snow. A good day to sit out on the front steps.

~Rae
  • 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
    bobsticks
    Hey Rae,

Yeah, it's hard to believe that less than twenty-hours later the sun is out and temps are moderate. Schizo weather we have in the midwest.

And for the record, I agree with your post. My point wasn't in any way to denigrate JD, more of a hyperbolic method of saying that if these guys were around in that period we would be referring to them as an "impoortant band', whatever that means. Sarcasm is my milieu.

Cheers
  • 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
    Rae
    I'm just giving you a hard time. :-) But the point I was trying to make is, it's a whole lot easier to cut a record that sounds like Joy Division in 2007 that it was to be Joy Division in 1979...

Where are you in the midwest? It's beautiful here today... I'm almost thinking of shaving off my winter beard!

~Rae
  • 04-16-2007, 11:19 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    I just picked up and listened to that Múm Peel Session -- my only complaint is that it is too short. I wasn't struck by any particular minimalism, though -- they always struck me as pretty minimal.