• 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
    Monkey Bones
    Don't you love those songs that stop time?
    You know, the kind of song that just seems to go on forever, yet doesn't feel like it's gone on forever? I got home today and popped a cool one and as I've sometimes been known to do in recent times, listened to some Joy Division. Dark? Sure. But I've got 'Decades" nestled on this comp I've been listening to a lot lately (yeah, I know I already mentioned that elsewhere) and it's one of those songs that plays outside of time for me. No idea how long it lasts, but looking at the file I see it runs about 6 minutes. Coulda been 20 for all I knew. What a groove it digs out. "Blue Line Swinger" from Yo La Tengo is another one for me, but it runs past the 9 minute mark. Would never guess. I might listen to it 3 or 4 times in a row.

Does that happen for you?

Ooh, ooh, "a light so dim" from Black Heart Procession just started and this one does the same thing. Wouldn't mind a bit if it loped along for 30+

On a somewhat related topic, do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to yourself when you post around here?

:p
  • 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to yourself when you post around here?

Sorry...did you say something?

• 07-11-2005, 06:56 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    "The Maid We Messed" by Matt Elliott from his album, Drinking Songs -- it's more of a Third Eye Foundation track, but somehow it fits at the end of the album.

I can tell you now (if you are a fan) that it's 20 minutes long, and you wouldn't believe me. It doesn't feel like that. Don't get me wrong, it does have an epic feel to it -- it starts out very slowly -- considering it's a drum&bass song, it's minutes before the drums actually kick in. But by the time it's done, time had, indeed, been lost.
  • 07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    You know, the kind of song that just seems to go on forever, yet doesn't feel like it's gone on forever? I got home today and popped a cool one and as I've sometimes been known to do in recent times, listened to some Joy Division. Dark? Sure. But I've got 'Decades" nestled on this comp I've been listening to a lot lately (yeah, I know I already mentioned that elsewhere) and it's one of those songs that plays outside of time for me. No idea how long it lasts, but looking at the file I see it runs about 6 minutes. Coulda been 20 for all I knew. What a groove it digs out. "Blue Line Swinger" from Yo La Tengo is another one for me, but it runs past the 9 minute mark. Would never guess. I might listen to it 3 or 4 times in a row.

Does that happen for you?

Ooh, ooh, "a light so dim" from Black Heart Procession just started and this one does the same thing. Wouldn't mind a bit if it loped along for 30+

On a somewhat related topic, do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to yourself when you post around here?

I used to think "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by the Smiths was a lot longer than it actually is.. just over 4 minutes.. seems much longer, probably because I would be lost doing some kind of white boy dance to it...

about the same time I got into CLOSER. Yes, all 4 of the songs on side two are real epic, seem very long. I'm very careful with CLOSER, I don't listen to it that often. It's not a matter of familiarity, I already know it. It's just that I don't want to ever have the music lose the impact that it has on me. I always want to get chills at the beginning of "The Eternal"

Procession moves on, the shouting is over
    Praise to the glory of loved ones
    now gone
    Talking aloud as they sit
    round their tables
    Scattering flowers washed down by the rain