Thinking of getting Sirius

I haven't been posting in a while, although I check in often.

Does anyone have any advice on Sirius satelllite radios/subscriptions?
    I'm thinking of getting this but am getting frustrated/confused with the large number of radios to choose from, the widely ranging prices that I don't understand, how exactly does it hook up to the car and what would that cost?

The ipod buying experience was a billion times easier than this.
    "If everybody asked you to look at their website, you'd never have time for your own blog."
    - Wes Stace a.k.a. John Wesley Harding

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by KEXPMF
    I haven't been posting in a while, although I check in often.

Does anyone have any advice on Sirius satelllite radios/subscriptions?
    I'm thinking of getting this but am getting frustrated/confused with the large number of radios to choose from, the widely ranging prices that I don't understand, how exactly does it hook up to the car and what would that cost?

The ipod buying experience was a billion times easier than this.
    The difference in the ones that I know:
    -Some have a larger screen than others
    -Some have home and car docking stations, others are one or other
    Most will be hard wire and/or FM modulated but that could also be a difference

They hook up to your car by hardwiring through an auxiliary in(best option), or sending an FM signal to an unused FM radio station. The power is usually lighter for car, or wall adaptor for home. You will need an antenna either way. Find one that will have a good mounting solution for your car or it will be a mess. Subscription and programming arre always the same for your country.

Forum Regular
    Are you set on Sirius? I can't speak for that service, but I have been hearing some pretty good things on XM since direct inputting a little $25 Roady2 to my car head unit last November. Two stations in particular, XMU and Unsigned, seem to be pretty far out front with new tunes from Rogue Wave, LCD Soundsystem, Hockey Night, Bloc Party, M.I.A,, Archer Prewitt, Aquaduct, Styrofoam, The Decemberists, Joy Zipper, etc., etc..

If the music variety is important, you'd be wise to canvas the web for feedback on the two differnt services.
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    Are you set on Sirius? I can't speak for that service, but I have been hearing some pretty good things on XM since direct inputting a little $25 Roady2 to my car head unit last November. Two stations in particular, XMU and Unsigned, seem to be pretty far out front with new tunes from Rogue Wave, LCD Soundsystem, Hockey Night, Bloc Party, M.I.A,, Archer Prewitt, Aquaduct, Styrofoam, The Decemberists, Joy Zipper, etc., etc..

If the music variety is important, you'd be wise to canvas the web for feedback on the two differnt services.
    They have very similar music programs. It will probably come down to if you like Stern, NFL, or NASCAR

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Your name's not Jane, is it?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    The antenna has to be on an outside window for most of the indoor kits, if you haven't already tried this.

PDK
    Forum Regular
    I just decided on Sirius because of BBCRadio1 (new music from the UK) the EPL (English Premier League football- I'm a Fulham supporter), and their NBA coverage. I bought the XACT XTR3CK (visor mount pnp portable) with home and car kit for about $70. I am unable to get signal in my home or at work so it looks like it is going back. It's a shame because I was REALLY looking forward to it!!

Now listening: A Certain Trigger from Maximo Park...

Here's an article...

...in the SF Chronicle from yesterday that will confuse you even more.

fp

I also hear better things about XM however I want to listen to Howard.

My name isn't Jane.
    "If everybody asked you to look at their website, you'd never have time for your own blog."

Quote Originally Posted by KEXPMF
    My name isn't Jane.
    (That was a Jon Astley reference -- he had a one-hit wonder with "Jane's Getting Serious" -- sorry, really bad joke. That is all.)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    (That was a Jon Astley reference -- he had a one-hit wonder with "Jane's Getting Serious" -- sorry, really bad joke. That is all.)
    C'mon, admitt it...you own his CD

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    C'mon, admitt it...you own his CD
    Alright, I own both his CD's.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Question for Sirius subscribers..

does Sirius have any stand-up comedy channels like XM?

Forum Regular
    I think the comedy channel on Sirius is called Raw Dawg, not 100% sure though

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Question for Sirius subscribers..

does Sirius have any stand-up comedy channels like XM?

Sirius has two comedy channels, Raw Dawg and one that's been cleaned up for mass consumption.

I just bought my wife the Sirius Replay for $79 from CC for Christmas and it's pretty cool. It has a remote, which really comes in handy, a large display, and a very simply user interface. The wife isn't very techie, so the easier it is to use, the better. We use the FM modulator and just put the antennae up on the dash. Reception is fine and I didn't have to tuck the wiring underneath the dash, etc.

My only complaint with Sirius is that their compression levels seem awfully high. It reminds me of a MP3 @ 128. Nothing major, but regular FM sounds better. I've only been playing with it for a few weeks now, but the Rock selection is pretty mind boggling.

Here's the unit we bought:

Forum Regular
    It's killing me not hearing Howard every morning. Sirius doesnt come in inside my office, so until they start streaming Howard over the internet, i am screwed. My buddy said that Howard announced that should be coming soon, which is very cool, plus that subscription costs less.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Sirius has two comedy channels, Raw Dawg and one that's been cleaned up for mass consumption.

I just bought my wife the Sirius Replay for $79 from CC for Christmas and it's pretty cool. It has a remote, which really comes in handy, a large display, and a very simply user interface. The wife isn't very techie, so the easier it is to use, the better. We use the FM modulator and just put the antennae up on the dash. Reception is fine and I didn't have to tuck the wiring underneath the dash, etc.

My only complaint with Sirius is that their compression levels seem awfully high. It reminds me of a MP3 @ 128. Nothing major, but regular FM sounds better. I've only been playing with it for a few weeks now, but the Rock selection is pretty mind boggling.

Here's the unit we bought:

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    It's killing me not hearing Howard every morning. Sirius doesnt come in inside my office, so until they start streaming Howard over the internet, i am screwed. My buddy said that Howard announced that should be coming soon, which is very cool, plus that subscription costs less.
    As a subscriber, you can go to their website and stream their content on your computer for free, although Stern isn't on their website menu...yet.

Forum Regular

Well

That idea is out the window now. I asked a computer guy here at work and he said it wouldnt be a good idea to stream it. This is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    As a subscriber, you can go to their website and stream their content on your computer for free, although Stern isn't on their website menu...yet.

Too bad Howard doesn't "podcast"
    I think I'm going to wait and see if they start streaming it before I buy a radio.

Thread Information