Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    You may feel that he is an Icon. But today is his birthday and the guys on WMMR were making fun of the way he sings. They all agreed, as I do, that he is a great songwriter. But if he was truly in the same league with The Who and Hendrix, I don't feel they should be making fun of his singing.

Radio lackies will do anything for a "laugh". When Pavorotti passed, the local rock station were making fun of him. I was disgusted and that was the last time I listened to anything other than CBC on the radio. Who do these losers think they are? I'll tell you who. They are the guys who couldn't make it themselves, or never tried to.

I don't have a favorite individual song. As Nick said in The Big Chill, sometimes you just have to let art flow over you.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Radio lackies will do anything for a "laugh". When Pavorotti passed, the local rock station were making fun of him. I was disgusted and that was the last time I listened to anything other than CBC on the radio. Who do these losers think they are? I'll tell you who. They are the guys who couldn't make it themselves, or never tried to.
    It wasn't as if they didn't like him. They talked about seeing him numorous times, though they did say his shows were hit or miss. Sometimes he acted like he didn't care.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

The guys on WMMR? Really?

You may feel that he is an Icon. But today is his birthday and the guys on WMMR were making fun of the way he sings. They all agreed, as I do, that he is a great songwriter. But if he was truly in the same league with The Who and Hendrix, I don't feel they should be making fun of his singing.
    Why would I care that they laughed at his voice? They are certainly not the bell-weather in my musical world and their names are probably known by only those care to listen to them. Dylan has remained prolific and relative for 5 decades, while the Who haven't done anything remotely decent since the 1970s and Hendrix has been dead 40 years. If you and other 'classic rock' lovers want to live in the past, that's fine, but there's so much more going on in rock. I get nostalgic for Who's Next and Band of Gypsies, but not very often and it's started to sound...dated.

Sorry Jack, but the WMMR thing means absolutely nothing and Dylan's place in music history, despite his unusual voice, is solidified. He has very few peers and I stand by my statements.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Why would I care that they laughed at his voice? They are certainly not the bell-weather in my musical world and their names are probably known by only those care to listen to them. Dylan has remained prolific and relative for 5 decades, while the Who haven't done anything remotely decent since the 1970s and Hendrix has been dead 40 years. If you and other 'classic rock' lovers want to live in the past, that's fine, but there's so much more going on in rock. I get nostalgic for Who's Next and Band of Gypsies, but not very often and it's started to sound...dated.

Sorry Jack, but the WMMR thing means absolutely nothing and Dylan's place in music history, despite his unusual voice, is solidified. He has very few peers and I stand by my statements.
    +1 Agreed

It was Preston and Steve, not that it really matters. I am a classic rock lover, I will admit. To me that was when music was a big part of peoples lives. It was affordable to go see a concert. Not like the prices that they charge these days. Roger Waters is coming to the Wachovia Center and tickets are $160. That's highway robbery. That's why I like classic rock. Just think, Hendrix has been dead for 40 years and his last album sold more than anything that Dylan has released lately.

At least there is one thing we can agree on............................... GO FLYERS
    Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 05-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Dylan like Neil Young choose artistery over commercial success, so you got some that love him and some that hate his work.

Personally, I love his later works as it was more accessible and main stream. My favorite song of his probably is Changing Of The Guards from Street Legal album.

Picked up a vinyl copy of "Street Legal" for 30 cents this weekend.........
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Picked up a vinyl copy of "Street Legal" for 30 cents this weekend.........
    As Worf would say, "You philistine!"

If you are going to use record sales as the criteria...

It was Preston and Steve, not that it really matters. I am a classic rock lover, I will admit. To me that was when music was a big part of peoples lives. It was affordable to go see a concert. Not like the prices that they charge these days. Roger Waters is coming to the Wachovia Center and tickets are $160. That's highway robbery. That's why I like classic rock. Just think, Hendrix has been dead for 40 years and his last album sold more than anything that Dylan has released lately.

At least there is one thing we can agree on............................... GO FLYERS
    ...it won't work. You are basically saying that dozens of others are 'better' than Hendrix. Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Whitney fuc*ing Houston, Meat fuc*ing Loaf, The Eagles, God forbid..the Backstreet Boys, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Shania Twain, Led Zep, Alanis Morrisette, Celine fuc*ing Dion, Dire Straits, Abba (!), Bon Jovi(ugh), Iron Butterfly, Santana, Queen, U2, Linkin fuc*ing Park, Ace of fu*king Bass, Carole King, Oasis, Dido, Madonna, Billy Ray fu*king Cyrus, Bob Marley, Britney Spears, Cher, George Michael, Janet Jackson, Norah Jones, Prince, the Spice Girls (yikes!), Tina Turner, and even USHER, have all had bigger selling records than any from Jimi Hendrix.

My point is that talent isn't necessarily a popularity contest, and many of the top selling records simply catered to the masses who have no taste. Not all, but many. How could you explain Ace of Bass? Seriously! They were gad awful, yet they had a bigger selling record than Hendrix...and Dylan too.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Bob Marley and Prince are better than Hendrix, from a listening enjoyment standpoint.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

That wasn't my point Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Bob Marley and Prince are better than Hendrix, from a listening enjoyment standpoint.
    Jack was equating talent with record sales, or something along those lines. I was merely pointing out all the artists who had better selling records than Hendrix. There were certainly a few that I prefer over Hendrix, but many who are rather pathetic...as I pointed out.

Jack was equating talent with record sales, or something along those lines. I was merely pointing out all the artists who had better selling records than Hendrix. There were certainly a few that I prefer over Hendrix, but many who are rather pathetic...as I pointed out.
    I understand where you're coming from. There is no accounting for taste. I realize that a lot of people with marginal talent have sold a lot of records. But these artists are in the business of selling records, aren't they? I doubt that a record label is going to keep someone under contract just because they have talent.

And Stone, Bob Marley and Prince aren't in the same league as Hendrix. Sorry
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I would have to counter that with...

Bob Marley and Prince aren't in the same league as Hendrix. Sorry
    ...Bob Marley and Prince are in a different genre than Hendrix, so you can't really compare them. I would say Marley was the greatest reggae artist of all time, but saying he's 'better than Hendrix' is only an opinion. I disagree with you and Stone, and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree. I liked Hendrix too, but 40 years is a long time and the music starts to wear thin and sound dated, like most classic rock. It's fine if you like it, but there's so much more out there to explore that I don't care to revisit the stuff I listened to when I was a kid, at least not very often.

Yeah, I got the point, but I was just stating that those two (at least) in that list I prefer over Hendrix, so they actually weighed against your point. Sorry, just the lawyer coming out in me.

And I agree that record sales doesn't always equate to talent (or enjoyability).

...and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree.
    I don't disagree with this.

...Bob Marley and Prince are in a different genre than Hendrix, so you can't really compare them. I would say Marley was the greatest reggae artist of all time, but saying he's 'better than Hendrix' is only an opinion. I disagree with you and Stone, and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree. I liked Hendrix too, but 40 years is a long time and the music starts to wear thin and sound dated, like most classic rock. It's fine if you like it, but there's so much more out there to explore that I don't care to revisit the stuff I listened to when I was a kid, at least not very often.
    Songwriter, I'll agree with. I've tried some of the new stuff and it just isn't the same. Same way with Jazz and Classical. Most of the great ones are long gone. I've seen BB King and Buddy Guy in the last couple years and though still good, they've slowed down. My friend who is a massage therapist was giving Buddy some hand massages in between sets. The guys at work try to get me into some of the groups that they are into. When I read a record review in one of my stereo mags, I go home and listen to see what all the fuss is about. Most of the time it just doesn't do it for me.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

'I Threw it All Away"
    "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"
    "Joey"
    "Black Diamond Bay"

But please, PLEASE, don't let him do anymore Christmas songs!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information