• 05-26-2008, 05:24 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Do I have to disown this friend?
    I need some advice from my RR buddies.

    We were out for dinner with a friend on Friday night. Now, this is a friend who has always had great taste in music. He used to be a buyer for a major Canadian record chain. He has introduced me to some great bands over the years. He was playing U2 for us before anyone else had ever heard of them. He has an extensive music collection from which I am frequently borrowing stuff. He is deeply respected in my circle of music loving friends.

    While at dinner a Justin Timberlake song came on. He looked at my husband and I sheepishly and said, I have to tell somebody, I like this song. There Ive said it!.

    Huh?! WTF!!! I dont know what do with this information. It is very disturbing. :(
  • 05-26-2008, 08:46 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I need some advice from my RR buddies.

    We were out for dinner with a friend on Friday night. Now, this is a friend who has always had great taste in music. He used to be a buyer for a major Canadian record chain. He has introduced me to some great bands over the years. He was playing U2 for us before anyone else had ever heard of them. He has an extensive music collection from which I am frequently borrowing stuff. He is deeply respected in my circle of music loving friends.

    While at dinner a Justin Timberlake song came on. He looked at my husband and I sheepishly and said, I have to tell somebody, I like this song. There Ive said it!.

    Huh?! WTF!!! I dont know what do with this information. It is very disturbing. :(

    I like Josh Groban. Am I disowned now too?
  • 05-26-2008, 10:00 AM
    bobsticks
    Do I have to disown this friend?
    Absolutely not. Justin's pretty damn funky for a white boy...come to think of it Justin's pretty damn funky for anyone. I don't own any of his stuff but I can admit to toe-tapping to "Sexy Back" and If the SNL cut of "Dick In A Box" was available at full resolution I swear to god I'd buy it and blow out my neighbors ear drums.

    Stuff isn't inherently bad just 'cause it's popular and all music doesn't have to have deep meaning.
  • 05-26-2008, 11:53 AM
    JohnMichael
    I have a Rolling Stone magazine with Justin on the cover.
  • 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM
    MindGoneHaywire
    I'm not sure why there's supposed to be something bad about pop music. I have my own opinions on other pop figures but every once in awhile you might hear something that might surprise you. I've heard a tune I liked & found it was Justin Timberlake; it was reminiscent of Michael Jackson. He's been on stages with people like the Rolling Stones, and worked with Rick Rubin, so if it's rock snob cred one craves, there's at least a smidgen there. Digging further, one would find Smokey Hormel on JT's last rec, and his credits (Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Steve Earle, et al) are in line with someone who quit a longtime gig with Beck because Tom Waits pursued him for his band, in other words, with quite a bit of cred on their own outside of the realm of accomplished players who are less choosy about who they take work from.

    The actual premise of this thread is a leftover from a divide in pop music that exists for no good reason that I can think of. That said, I'm not a fan. But I've sure heard worse.
  • 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    He was playing U2 for us before anyone else had ever heard of them. :(

    I'm not really sure when "before anyone else had heard of them" would have been, as U2 arrived in NA with quite a bit of hype; and as I recall "I Will Follow" was a pretty big hit here when it was first released, as was "Boy". And I don't think that there was a big time lag between the UK release and the NA release (though I could be wrong about that). I even remember a semi-flap over the original (UK release) album cover being banned/replaced with something a little more North America pallatable.

    Having said that, I agree with Bobsticks and MGH. Popular is not synonomous with crappy - and Justin Timberlake is OK in my book. Just don't expect me to buy an album or anything.
  • 05-26-2008, 03:18 PM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I need some advice from my RR buddies...While at dinner a Justin Timberlake song came on. He looked at my husband and I sheepishly and said, “I have to tell somebody, I like this song. There I’ve said it!”....It is very disturbing. :(

    I'd rather listen to Justin Timberlake than U2. Josh Groban makes me feel kind of ill. Early R.E.M. is the buzz on Memorial Day, that and some Bridgeport India Pale Ale. Well, that and Whooptee's 80's comp (fun stuff) and the Stones' mostly Exile covers by Califone that I downloaded recently (flac too) ... http://www.owlandbear.com/2008/01/15...stones-covers/
  • 05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Sorry guys. Timberlake's not my cup of tea (and I have no idea why chicks dig him, he's pretty geeky looking if you ask me) but I was just trying to add a little levity to this board. This thread was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. I guess I didn't do a very good job.

    As for Justin playing with the Stones, I was at SARSfest where he came out and did a couple of songs with the Stones. People were throwing waterbottles at him. I felt bad for him. It was kind of a strange match-up, but you had to respect that the Stones thought enough of him to invite him on stage. If you watch the DVD of the show, you can see Keith Richards giving some guy in the crowd hell for throwing something onto the stage.

    I didn't mean to offend anyone or come off as snob.
  • 05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
    kexodusc
    I think Justin is a weenie and his music sucks donkey balls. That kid needs a good wedgie.
  • 05-26-2008, 05:16 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I think Justin is a weenie and his music sucks donkey balls. That kid needs a good wedgie.

    I tried to give you a green chiclet, but apparently I don't get around enough.
  • 05-26-2008, 05:20 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I tried to give you a green chiclet, but apparently I don't get around enough.

    Wish I had something witty to say but all this studying's got me wiped. :20:
  • 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM
    MindGoneHaywire
    I think chicks dig him because he's bringing back sexy.
  • 05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I didn't mean to offend anyone or come off as snob.

    You didn't and probably one of us should've asked. I wondered how tongue'n'cheek the whole thing was but opted to go along.

    I think it says something that The Stones and John Mayer are all over the guy. Prince's drummer and guitarist jumped ship to tag along. There's gotta be some talent there whether he plays in a genre that you and I like or not. In a way I kinda feel for the guy, money or not, he'll forever be judged by his former boy band output.

    I wonder if he ever gets to play the Super Bowl again...

    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...5L._AA240_.jpg
  • 05-27-2008, 05:16 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I tried to give you a green chiclet, but apparently I don't get around enough.

    That not what Rich s..... huh? Oops, wrong lady.

    I don't dig Justin. But I don't like U2 much either. Maybe you could just wack us both with a rolled up news paper and call it a day.
  • 05-27-2008, 05:47 AM
    Swish
    What she said. It's not his fault that he was labeled..
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Sorry guys. Timberlake's pretty geeky looking if you ask me.

    ...'sexiest man alive' or whatever, but my wife and daughter agree with you. He's kind of nerdy looking and, if not for his fame and fortune, most females wouldn't give him a second look. Kind of like Usher. Heck, kind of like many of the starlets in Hollywood too. I see better looking women at the mall most any day. It's the idolization of the rich and famous. Nothing more.

    As for his music, no thank you please.

    Swish
  • 05-27-2008, 06:22 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    ...'sexiest man alive' or whatever, but my wife and daughter agree with you. He's kind of nerdy looking and, if not for his fame and fortune, most females wouldn't give him a second look. Kind of like Usher. Heck, kind of like many of the starlets in Hollywood too. I see better looking women at the mall most any day. It's the idolization of the rich and famous. Nothing more.

    As for his music, no thank you please.

    Swish

    Not that I find either of them attractive but I'd take Usher over Timberlake any day.
  • 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I think it says something that The Stones and John Mayer are all over the guy. Prince's drummer and guitarist jumped ship to tag along. There's gotta be some talent there whether he plays in a genre that you and I like or not. In a way I kinda feel for the guy, money or not, he'll forever be judged by his former boy band output.

    You could be right, however I see this as nothing more than clever business decisions by opportunistic artists looking to attach themselves to the fabricated spectacle the Justin Timberlake Inc has become. I mean that with no disrespect to him, he's just doing what he loves to do, but a lot of people in the industry have invested a lot of resources and have become dependent on his success. Justin Timberblake the artist is the sum of all those interests and contributions. He's reaping the rewards of that for sure, and older acts and supporting cast types are notorious for leaching off today's shining star for their own benefit.

    I've got nothing against Justin at all...Wish I was in his place. But...my own personal, mine all mine opinion is that the guy's success is far more a result of his celebrity status from both his prior boy band, and the marketing machine that has worked hard to carry to keep him in the spotlight since then. JT isn't musician, he's a cultural icon.

    Some people truly get by on talent and can't be denied their place. But then there's those performers that could release any half-decent song only to see the public buy it by the million.
    I'm convinced we could record Justin Timberlake gargling in 4/4 time and he'd still sell 5 million records. Are we buying it because it's good, or because it's Justin?

    Of course, I do accept that some people just have "it", charisma, appeal, whatever "it" is. "It" isn't necessarily talent, but it sure sells. Justin probably has "it" in spades.

    What ever the reason, he's on fire, and those crappy, catchy tunes of his stick in your damn head all day long!
  • 05-28-2008, 01:59 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    ... Kind of like Usher...

    --Swish


    I don't know why but it amuses me that you know Usher.
  • 05-28-2008, 02:01 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc

    Of course, I do accept that some people just have "it", charisma, appeal, whatever "it" is. "It" isn't necessarily talent, but it sure sells. Justin probably has "it" in spades.

    What ever the reason, he's on fire, and those crappy, catchy tunes of his stick in your damn head all day long!

    Well Kex is, of course, right. But, we're talking about Pop Culture here. I defy you to prove that Frank Sinatra is in any way more talented and deserving than JT.
  • 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
    Swish
    But then again, you're easily amused.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I don't know why but it amuses me that you know Usher.

    And the evidence can be found all over this board.

    Swish - I call 'em as I see 'em
  • 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    But then again, you're easily amused. And the evidence can be found all over this board.

    Swish - I call 'em as I see 'em

    Ouch. Cheap shot, sir...nice work. Green Wiki for you...




    ...also you'll notice that I'm not protesting too loudly.
  • 06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
    emesbee
    I've never listened to Justin Timberlake.