• 03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
    Swish
    Do any of you live in Arizona?
    I have a bunch of your home addresses but see any in AZ among the bunch. I know Davey was living in Mesa for awhile but has moved yet again.

    Anyway, I'm headed there at the end of April for a friend's wedding and am staying a few extra days for a mini vacation. Don't worry, I not asking anyone to spend time with me :-), I'm just wondering what kind of music venues are near Phoenix as I'd love to take in a show or two while there. Or maybe just some decent local blues or jazz clubs that would be worth checking out.

    Regards,
    Swish
  • 03-25-2005, 11:23 AM
    Davey
    Calexico & Neko Case at the end of April in Tempe near the college at the Marquee Theatre. They're a general admission place so you'd be standing. Nice little downtown area with a big park and lake nearby. That's all I got. Tons of clubs in Phoenix but I didn't venture out much to the big city while there.
  • 03-25-2005, 11:42 AM
    Swish
    Calexico and Neko Case! Wow! Now we're talkin'.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Davey
    Calexico & Neko Case at the end of April in Tempe near the college at the Marquee Theatre. They're a general admission place so you'd be standing. Nice little downtown area with a big park and lake nearby. That's all I got. Tons of clubs in Phoenix but I didn't venture out much to the big city while there.

    I pay good money to see the them, so thanks for the info. I'll have to check that out on the web. As for Calexico, I just heard them do a cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and it was pretty cool. If the dj didn't tell me, I never would have guessed it was Calexico doing the tune. It just didn't sound like them, or at least not like anything I've heard thus far (Feast of Wire is the only thing I have from them).

    Swish
  • 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM
    KEXPMF
    The Marquee is probably the best place to see a show. I've seen that place. Downtown Tempe is nice to wander around in.
    Check out www.pollstar.com for both Phoenix and Tempe.
    The venues I know of (from booking bands) though haven't seen, are Clubhouse, Brick House, Big Fish Pub, Rythym Room
    Hope that helps! :)
  • 03-25-2005, 11:51 AM
    Davey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    I pay good money to see the them, so thanks for the info.

    Yeah, if I was still down there I'd probably be marking my calendar for that one. You know that the Calexico boys along with their Giant Sand brother Howe Gelb were responsible for most of the great backing on Neko's last album. Should be a very cool show. Someone else I haven't heard of is on the bill as the opener.
  • 03-25-2005, 01:20 PM
    Swish
    Thanks for the info dude.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KEXPMF
    The Marquee is probably the best place to see a show. I've seen that place. Downtown Tempe is nice to wander around in.
    Check out www.pollstar.com for both Phoenix and Tempe.
    The venues I know of (from booking bands) though haven't seen, are Clubhouse, Brick House, Big Fish Pub, Rythym Room
    Hope that helps! :)

    We may not make it to the Calexico show anyway. Our flight gets in late afternoon, so we would have to dash around like crazy people to make it in time, and never having been to AZ, we won't exactly know where we're going. That really sucks!

    We will check out these other venues. I'd be more than happy to sit in a smaller pub and listen to a local band while drinking a few pints of micro-brews.

    Regards,
    Swishster
  • 03-26-2005, 02:45 AM
    mwheelerk
    The Blues
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    I have a bunch of your home addresses but see any in AZ among the bunch. I know Davey was living in Mesa for awhile but has moved yet again.

    Anyway, I'm headed there at the end of April for a friend's wedding and am staying a few extra days for a mini vacation. Don't worry, I not asking anyone to spend time with me :-), I'm just wondering what kind of music venues are near Phoenix as I'd love to take in a show or two while there. Or maybe just some decent local blues or jazz clubs that would be worth checking out.

    Regards,
    Swish


    By far the best blues venue in town is The Rhythm Room. It is located in the 1100 east block of Indian School Rd. in central Phoenix. Many national blues acts and some jazz or "other" acts appear here. I have seen Ronnie Earl, Junior Wells, Jimmy Rogers, Kim Wilson, John Hammond, and Dave Alvin among others. Recently Ike Turner played there. Check out their website at www.rhythmroom.com for upcoming concerts.

    If you are into any folk, acoustic, alt country, fingerstyle guitar stuff check out the Cave Creek Coffee Company in Cave Creek, Arizona (far north Phoenix area). They also have a website. Look under events and then music. This is a unique little venue that many locals are not even aware of.
  • 03-26-2005, 04:44 AM
    Swish
    Thanks Mwheelerk...and welcome I guess.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mwheelerk
    By far the best blues venue in town is The Rhythm Room. It is located in the 1100 east block of Indian School Rd. in central Phoenix. Many national blues acts and some jazz or "other" acts appear here. I have seen Ronnie Earl, Junior Wells, Jimmy Rogers, Kim Wilson, John Hammond, and Dave Alvin among others. Recently Ike Turner played there. Check out their website at www.rhythmroom.com for upcoming concerts.

    If you are into any folk, acoustic, alt country, fingerstyle guitar stuff check out the Cave Creek Coffee Company in Cave Creek, Arizona (far north Phoenix area). They also have a website. Look under events and then music. This is a unique little venue that many locals are not even aware of.

    I've never seen your name around here, and with just 3 posts to your credit, you are certainly a newcomer. I just checked the website for the Rhythm Room and, while there's aren't any big timey acts there when I'm in town, I may check out Sistah Blues on Saturday, April 30th.

    Even more interesting is the 8 PM show on Thursday the 28th at the Cave Creek Coffee Shop with the Black Keys. Now that would be fun.

    Again, welcome to the board and thanks again.

    Swish
  • 03-26-2005, 07:45 PM
    mwheelerk
    Sistah Blues
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    I've never seen your name around here, and with just 3 posts to your credit, you are certainly a newcomer. I just checked the website for the Rhythm Room and, while there's aren't any big timey acts there when I'm in town, I may check out Sistah Blues on Saturday, April 30th.

    Even more interesting is the 8 PM show on Thursday the 28th at the Cave Creek Coffee Shop with the Black Keys. Now that would be fun.

    Again, welcome to the board and thanks again.

    Swish


    Sistah Blues is a local all woman blues band that really kicks. A few years ago they represented Arizona in a national blues band contest in Memphis and I think they finished 2nd. You should enjoy them.

    The Cave Creek venue is very cool but it is about 35 or 40 miles from the center of Phoenix. It is an outdoor venue with about 250 cozy seats.
  • 04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
    BinFrog
    I just got back a few days ago from being on vaca in Scottsdale for 2 weeks.