Thread: DIIV right in

DIIV right in

Oshin by Diiv is without question one of the few albums I've thoroughly enjoyed this year. They lean heavily on Joy Division influence even including a large dose of the "high bass" sound that draws a swift Joy Division comparisons. I'd think that I'd be more unsettled by such heavy handed borrowing but they quickly create a dreampop, shoegaze, post punk amalgamation that can stand on it's own. Cloud Nothings have the only other record even in the running for my album of the year so far. If you liked the first Interpol album, you might be a candidate for digging this record.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I just did a quick search and saw that this group was formed by one of the guitar players from Beach Fossils. Since I like that band a lot and your opinion in these matters is generally something I trust, I'm gonna go grab this and give it a listen. Thanks for the heads up.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Thanks Jim. Both Joy Division and shoegaze in the form of the Cocteaus still get some play in these parts. I appreciate the tip as this sounds right up my alley...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

42 Regular
    I listened to a little of this... and me likey. Thanks for the tip, JC! Joy Div by way of Interpol with a pinch of War on Drugs for good measure.

(While I was at it, I also listened to some of the new Walkmen... and I think I'm liking it too.)
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I ordered it with some trepidation.

Yes, trepidation because on reviewer mentioned that all the tracks seem to blend together because they have the same rhythm and sound too much alike, comparing it so the Real Estate cd that I found to be mediocre.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Yes, trepidation because on reviewer mentioned that all the tracks seem to blend together because they have the same rhythm and sound too much alike, comparing it so the Real Estate cd that I found to be mediocre.
    I'm a bit nervous about being able to cover all of the refunds! If you hate it, consider the source!

: )
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I was just 'busying your balls'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    I'm a bit nervous about being able to cover all of the refunds! If you hate it, consider the source!

: )
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information