Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Did we just experience a software change?

Or am I losing my mind?

All of the sudden the screen looks different, lighter, and it appears to be loading faster too.

HALLELUJAH!!!

I'm lost. Where am I? Is this still AR?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Clearly we did. Kinda cool too in a minimalist way.

As an aside, if you want to improve the load time adjust your security level to "high" under Internet Options. It reduces the extemperaneous bullschnit that makes the pages take so long. The only disadvantage is that you have to switch back to "medium" in order to use the bold and italics functions, Insert Images, and view the embeded YouTube clips that some jerk keeps posting 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Clearly we did. Kinda cool too in a minimalist way.

As an aside, if you want to improve the load time adjust your security level to "high" under Internet Options. It reduces the extemperaneous bullschnit that makes the pages take so long. The only disadvantage is that you have to switch back to "medium" in order to use the bold and italics functions, Insert Images, and view the embeded YouTube clips that some jerk keeps posting 'round here.
    Or just install Firefox (free download from Mozilla) and download the freeware AdBlock add-on (which keeps a lot of Flash animation and extraneous bloat code from loading). The latest version of Safari (another free download) purportedly smokes IE7, Firefox, and Opera in speed tests, so you could try that as well. I frequently use Safari with my Mac, but have stuck with Firefox on my Windoze PC.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    Must you be such a non-conformist Wooch?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have found Safari on Windows to be slightly less efficient and speedy than Firefox or Opera, which kinda baffles me because it seems to work better on my Mac? Still better than IE7.

So....big question...who's doing the changing? Thought this place was on auto-pilot waiting for the fuel to run out?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    So....big question...who's doing the changing? Thought this place was on auto-pilot waiting for the fuel to run out?
    That's what I thought too. Just when you think that this place is sinking and there's no-one at the helm, someone steps up and shows that they care.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's what I thought too. Just when you think that this place is sinking and there's no-one at the helm, someone steps up and shows that they care.
    Or at least that they want to f*ck with things.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Remember when it looked like this?

fp

Suspended
    When I click on "Show Leaders" at the bottom of the main page, I see in the Administrators section the names "atomicAdam" and "SteveG", both of whom are online right now. Is this something new or have those names been there for a long time and I just didn't know it?

Suspended
    If I download Firefox will it exist on my system along with Explorer? I mean once I got used to Firefox and was sure it worked I could delete Explorer. I just don't want to download something and have a big conflict that will put me on the side lines.

I have found Safari on Windows to be slightly less efficient and speedy than Firefox or Opera, which kinda baffles me because it seems to work better on my Mac? Still better than IE7.
    This is just what I've read. Also, be sure that you're trying out the latest version. Safari 3.0 and 3.1 each work off of very different rendering engines, and the open source Webkit code that underlies Safari constantly has updated builds posted to its website. Safari 3.1 got some big-time speed increases. We'll see how the release version of Firefox 3 fares. My understanding is that Firefox 3 will significantly improve how the app's memory handling and reduce the footprint.

I got Firefox working pretty well in Windows, so I never felt the need to install Safari on my Windows PC. Of course, it comes with the Mac, so I do use it there. Most of the time I use Firefox because I'm used to the interface. IE7 is just wretched -- I only use that whenever I have to.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If I download Firefox will it exist on my system along with Explorer? I mean once I got used to Firefox and was sure it worked I could delete Explorer. I just don't want to download something and have a big conflict that will put me on the side lines.
    It will. The Firefox download is relatively inocuous because it's a standalone app that only does web browsing. If you don't change any of the system defaults, you can try and/or remove Firefox relatively easily. Personally, I think IE7 is such a kludge that it's hard to imagine sticking with it after using Firefox.

Unfortunately, you cannot delete Explorer without disabling a whole bunch of other OS functions. MS basically embedded the browser deep into the OS years ago in order to kill off competitors like Netscape. But, it also made IE into big-time security hole that can take down your entire computer if it crashes, and frok your entire system by browsing over to the wrong website.

During the antitrust trial, MS employees couldn't even use the term "browser" because MS' lawyers were trying to make the argument that web browsing was now part of the operating system experience, and not something that could be separated.

As part of the antitrust settlement, MS had to include provisions in the Windows XP service packs to more easily use non-MS web browsing, e-mail, and utility applications as the defaults. They also included an "uninstall" for IE, which was pure BS because all that it does is hide IE from plain sight without deleting any files.

Just another reason I prefer Apple's OS X. There, you can delete the Safari browser in its entirety if you want. And because it's not embedded into the core of the OS like IE is, removing the application and all of its associated files won't affect any other functionality like file browsing, desktop search, and software updates.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    As an aside, if you want to improve the load time adjust your security level to "high" under Internet Options. It reduces the extemperaneous bullschnit that makes the pages take so long.
    I have my IE in High mode, and it load the page in less than one second. The only thing can not do in this mode is watch embeded videos which I usually don't watch anyway. Also surf the net in this mode, and no pop ups

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Or at least that they want to f*ck with things.
    You're such a cynic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf Pee
    It was so much fun playing with the post titles!! I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    This is just what I've read. Also, be sure that you're trying out the latest version. Safari 3.0 and 3.1 each work off of very different rendering engines, and the open source Webkit code that underlies Safari constantly has updated builds posted to its website. Safari 3.1 got some big-time speed increases. We'll see how the release version of Firefox 3 fares. My understanding is that Firefox 3 will significantly improve how the app's memory handling and reduce the footprint.

I got Firefox working pretty well in Windows, so I never felt the need to install Safari on my Windows PC. Of course, it comes with the Mac, so I do use it there. Most of the time I use Firefox because I'm used to the interface. IE7 is just wretched -- I only use that whenever I have to.
    That's interesting. I can honestly say I've noticed only minor performance differences between FF2 and Safari 3.1 on windows but FF2 still seems faster. I haven't done benchmark tests. Just observation. Safari doesn't like CNN as much as FF that's for sure. Haven't tried FF3 on Windows yet. Think my wife's laptop is running 32-bit vista though, not sure if that matters much for something resource light like browsing.

I've been using Firefox 3 Beta on Linux for a few months now though and so far so good. To me the add-ons make Firefox so great. There's still some bugs in 3 to workout though.

I see there's an IE8 on the horizon too. Oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    When I click on "Show Leaders" at the bottom of the main page, I see in the Administrators section the names "atomicAdam" and "SteveG", both of whom are online right now. Is this something new or have those names been there for a long time and I just didn't know it?
    Dude! You got flat out ignored.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

fp
    And thats the point where this place took a nose dive. So great the page loads faster. There is still nothing going on so it's mute.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    And thats the point where this place took a nose dive. So great the page loads faster. There is still nothing going on so it's mute.
    Please go and sit in the corner with Stone.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Please go and sit in the corner with Stone.
    Pages loading faster has been the most traffic here in days and it's not even music related. Bobsticks and a few others and I have been having a hoot with Spanky over on the PC Audio forum but it drops off for a week or so until the troll returns with a new set of crappy speakers.

Pages loading faster has been the most traffic here in days and it's not even music related. Bobsticks and a few others and I have been having a hoot with Spanky over on the PC Audio forum but it drops off for a week or so until the troll returns with a new set of crappy speakers.
    Spanky's back???

Ahem.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Works both ways, moot or mute since nothing is being said but thanks for the quick correction.

That's interesting. I can honestly say I've noticed only minor performance differences between FF2 and Safari 3.1 on windows but FF2 still seems faster. I haven't done benchmark tests. Just observation. Safari doesn't like CNN as much as FF that's for sure. Haven't tried FF3 on Windows yet. Think my wife's laptop is running 32-bit vista though, not sure if that matters much for something resource light like browsing.
    I've only used Safari 3.1.1 with OS X, and to me it's now noticeably faster than Firefox 2 on most webpages. But, like you I use Firefox a lot more because of the add-ons. What Apple's done with Safari's still pretty impressive considering how late they jumped into the browser fray.

The rumor going around now is that OS X 10.6 will come out early next year (only 15 months after 10.5 Leopard), and switch over to Intel and 64-bit exclusively with a significantly streamlined code base. In contrast, looks like Windows 7 will primarily add multi-touch functions to an already bloated code base. All those rumors (and wishful thinking) about paring down the core OS and losing some of the legacy baggage are apparently for naught.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I've only used Safari 3.1.1 with OS X, and to me it's now noticeably faster than Firefox 2 on most webpages. But, like you I use Firefox a lot more because of the add-ons. What Apple's done with Safari's still pretty impressive considering how late they jumped into the browser fray.

The rumor going around now is that OS X 10.6 will come out early next year (only 15 months after 10.5 Leopard), and switch over to Intel and 64-bit exclusively with a significantly streamlined code base. In contrast, looks like Windows 7 will primarily add multi-touch functions to an already bloated code base. All those rumors (and wishful thinking) about paring down the core OS and losing some of the legacy baggage are apparently for naught.
    FF2 on my Mac is noticeably slower than Safari. I blame Windows for my experience - I'm sure they're running interference with Safari, just don't know how.

So Windows 7 will have some of the wow the earlier development versions of Vista tried to include? Cool.
    I don't have Leopard yet - not likely to get it either, work owns the machine and they load the OS. But come to think of it, I think I get a new one in the fall and it'll probably have Leopard. I play with it in the store or when I use someone else machine. Haven't dug too deep yet though.
    One of the nice things about non windows OS's, I don't feel the need to rush out and get the latest upgrades unless there's something substantial. Other than some amateur multimedia stuff, I'm not a resource intensive user.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information