Devils and Dust....

Printable View

• 04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
    audiobill
    Devils and Dust....
    Anyone here, at RR, here this one yet??

I cherish your opinions more than any other source on the newstands or the net.

Please,

let us know what u think of Bruce's latest.

Cheers,

Bill
  • 04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
    Olivertmc
    Audiobill:

I picked it up yesterday and I think it is excellent. I am not a huge Springsteen fan, but I do enjoy his acoustic stuff (Nebraska, Tom Joad). This is most likely my favorite album of his. I do not like his "rock 'n roll" albums - of course songs like Thunder Road and Born to Run are classics, but most of his other E Street Band work is just a little too over the top for me. Devils and Dust is a collection of well-written, heartfelt songs that benefit from the added texture and warmth of acoustic production. Give it a try. One more thing, the 5.1 mix one side B of the dual-disc is a total waste. I guess I've been listening to too many well-engineered SACD releases!

Olivertmc
  • 04-29-2005, 03:36 PM
    audiobill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Audiobill:

I picked it up yesterday and I think it is excellent. I am not a huge Springsteen fan, but I do enjoy his acoustic stuff (Nebraska, Tom Joad). This is most likely my favorite album of his. I do not like his "rock 'n roll" albums - of course songs like Thunder Road and Born to Run are classics, but most of his other E Street Band work is just a little too over the top for me. Devils and Dust is a collection of well-written, heartfelt songs that benefit from the added texture and warmth of acoustic production. Give it a try. One more thing, the 5.1 mix one side B of the dual-disc is a total waste. I guess I've been listening to too many well-engineered SACD releases!

Olivertmc

Thanks Olivertmc. I, too, adore Nebraska. Mind you.... I'm a Bruce junkie, since he was "the" voice for me from my generation.

You gave me the nudge I needed to go out this weekend and buy it.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill
  • 05-02-2005, 09:11 AM
    Olivertmc
    I listened to it a bunch this weekend, and I seem to be enjoying it more and more with each subsequent spin. Did you pick it up? If so, what do you think?
  • 05-02-2005, 11:17 AM
    tentoze
    I got hold of it this wk-end and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The advance buzz I read on it had me thinking it was going to be in the vein of Tom Joad, or even Nebraska. Joad is not a favorite of mine, and I literally cannot listen to Nebraska- I mean, I LIKE dark music, but keerist. D&D is the best thing Springsteen's done in a while, IMO.