Hey Canadians; Juno Awards???

Any of my Canadian Brethren (or sistren), watch this thing? I watched a little here and there in between periods during a hockey game,. The usual Canadian navel gazing. Why do we always feel the need to trot out whatever we are calling the government minister of culture this week? Can't we find anything NOT to mix government with in this country?

Anyway the last song was that catchy little ditty by DJ Champion, which was the best thing I saw from last nights show. They have a really BIG sound that came across very well. Could have done without Nelly Furtado joining the fun at the end, but what can you do.

And Sam Roberts introduced some guy, who'se name I can't remember; and he was pretty good. Patrick Watson, maybe? Sounds more like a news anchor than a rock star. He was the second best thing I saw.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Our curling banquet was last night, so I didn't have a chance to tune in at all. Not that I probably would have anyway. The Junos lost what little credibility they had with me when they started to turn into the Billy Talent show a couple of years ago.

With all of the great Canadian talent that they have to choose from, why Billy Talent continues to win the top awards is just beyond me.

Suspended

Canadian equivalent of Notorious B.I.G.

Does Rap music have a following in Canada? Are awards handed out for that style of music?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Does Rap music have a following in Canada? Are awards handed out for that style of music?
    I think there is a rap award, or hip-hop or something like that. I know that this guy K-OS is the current media/critic darling. can't say I saw any on the show last night, but as I say I only caught bits & pieces. As FA noted it was/is the Billie Talent show these days.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Our curling banquet was last night...
    Is this a joke? Or are all of our generalized preconceptions about you guys that accurate? ;-)

I was going to say that I can't let a Canadian thread pass without making reference to Brent DiCrescenzo's No Jacket, No Future: Canada's Top 25 Albums of All Time, but it seems to be no longer archived on the Pitchfork site. Thankfully, we've got the Wayback Machine to help us out!:

http://web.archive.org/web/200202021.../00-05-canada/

~Rae

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Is this a joke? Or are all of our generalized preconceptions about you guys that accurate? ;-)
    That's right...and I live in an igloo, have a pet polar bear, and my mother used to bottle feed me beer instead of milk when I was an infant.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's right...and I live in an igloo, have a pet polar bear, and my mother used to bottle feed me beer instead of milk when I was an infant.

Doesn't that make you an Alaskan?

I do like the sound of the baby bottle formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae

I was going to say that I can't let a Canadian thread pass without making reference to Brent DiCrescenzo's No Jacket, No Future: Canada's Top 25 Albums of All Time, but it seems to be no longer archived on the Pitchfork site. Thankfully, we've got the Wayback Machine to help us out!:

http://web.archive.org/web/200202021.../00-05-canada/

~Rae
    Come on now Rae, you know that Minnesota is filled with Canadian wanna-bes. Curling is pretty big there too. And what's up with all that Hockey you guys watch? I'll check out that Pitchfork link and comment if appropriate.

Hey, it's good to see you back here.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Come on now Rae, you know that Minnesota is filled with Canadian wanna-bes.
    Ahh, too true!! Guilty as charged.

~Rae

Thread Information