Davey's 2003 disk

What a treat this was! Drove me off the dime to go get the new Wheat and the Beulah disk also. Thought I was caught by the Head of Femur after listening to Track #3, but then the closing track by them made me pull up. Cuts 1-12 are just fantabulous, 13-18 drift off for me, mebbe excepting #16 by The Wrens. I still can't make my burning software (Feurio) segue from one track to another without a pause like Davey does, even when I select "no pause between tracks." Davey- a super end-of-the-year disk that makes mine look like generic bologna..............
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Davey- a super end-of-the-year disk that makes mine look like generic bologna..............
    Thanks, but yours is hardly generic bologna! I thought it was really good and sounded like some others did too, especially Sloshy. I know that I've listened to it a few times and enjoyed it fully. Maybe just a little too much on the mellow side and different from mine to be sure, but that's what it's all about. Kind of an odd year for music in that I don't think there is or will be a lot of agreement as to the best albums, probably because there weren't many, if any, real standouts. At least it seems that way for me. Next year looks to be a lot bigger judging by some of the artists with new albums on the horizon. But there sure wasn't any shortage of good stuff available this year

Forum Regular
    Hey, what I wanna know is, if people are really more interested in "real" music talk and album reviews and stuff like that, how come a silly post about the comp I just sent out a few days ago already has almost twice as many views as the thought provoking piece I wrote a couple days ago on Robert Wyatt's "Rock Bottom" album? I'm gonna pull a PwrPopGuy and threaten to leave unless someone responds to my other post!

Just kidding

Really, my feelings aren't hurt

Honest

But if you're feeling guilty now for not checking it out, Robert Wyatt's Cuckooland?

Besides, the real news in year-end comps is how good that one by Sloshy is! Holy moly, what a nice job. Just listened to it again today for the umpteenth time and I'm in awe of the master. It could use a little sprucing up, though. You know, a little color. Maybe a picture or two

So what's the track list to Davey's latest POS?

Inquiring minds wants to know!

Swishy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    So what's the track list to Davey's latest POS?
    Sorry you missed it Swish Baby, but the first pressing is all sold out! If you go down the page a couple weeks there's a post about it called Season's Greetings 2003 - Season's Greetings 2003 (comp talk)

Or go to the listing at my comp site - http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbi...Greetings_2003

Or look below -

Cheerios

Quote Originally Posted by Davey.
    Sorry you missed it Swish Baby, but the first pressing is all sold out! If you go down the page a couple weeks there's a post about it called Season's Greetings 2003 - Season's Greetings 2003 (comp talk)

Cheerios
    That alternating view of the cover/tracklist is big time cool. I need an html for dummies book as I can barely do anything. Nice touch.

On another note, I've tried twice to email you thanks for the comp but both addresses were duds. Access4cheap and Surfcheap have now been deleted and now I'm looking for Imacheapskate potentials. Actually next time I'll just go through the board. Great comp with some killer toons-thanks a ton.

hc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Great comp with some killer toons-thanks a ton.
    Thanks and welcome you are. Glad to hear you like it. I sent out a change of addy at the beginning of Nov and I think you were on the receiving end, but it's davey at mailaka.net

The cover/tracklist thingie is actually just an animated gif, not really much to do with HTML except for displaying it. Just like your avatar (or mine too, which at the moment is the four images on the cover of the Yo La Tengo/Jad Fair Strange But True album combined into a gif using animation software - simple to do, but kind of nerdly :-))

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

You may think it's funny, but it'ssnot

Actually, it's kind of annoying. I'm reading the tracklist, and the image changes, and I lose my place, so when it comes back, and I track it with my finger, and I forgot I was picking my nose, so now my screen has a booger on it.

J/K...it's cool. Especially the avatar things some of you have going on. What software are you using for that? I only have MS Photo Editor (that's right, not even PhotoShop). Is it something free? That'd be good.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Standout album of 2003 is coming soon :-)

Besides, the real news in year-end comps is how good that one by Sloshy is! Holy moly, what a nice job. Just listened to it again today for the umpteenth time and I'm in awe
    I agree!

I've been spinning tentoze's and your 2003 back-to-back. Great stuff and I don't have to touch the CD player for 2 & 1/2 + hours

But the best album of this year is an honest-to-god standout and should be in your mailbox today or tomorrow I've been listening to it since Wed. and can't stop! Fourty one minutes of musical bliss. Really! It's everything that appeals to me about indie rolled up into one concise package. Track 11 is easily my song of the year and 7,4, and 9 are stellar as well. Take one part Violent Femmes, add a dash of Melvins, a pinch of YLT, a bit of Lightning Bolt, a healthy dollop of Les Savy Fav...utterly brilliant

I think I'm starting to get pretty good at decrypting online reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I agree!

But the best album of this year is an honest-to-god standout and should be in your mailbox today or tomorrow
    I knew you jumped the gun on the best of 2003. But I won't say I told you so, mainly because I'm not certain that I did.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Actually, it's kind of annoying. I'm reading the tracklist, and the image changes, and I lose my place, so when it comes back, and I track it with my finger, and I forgot I was picking my nose, so now my screen has a booger on it.
    That's funny, but probably more than we needed to know about your personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    J/K...it's cool. Especially the avatar things some of you have going on. What software are you using for that? I only have MS Photo Editor (that's right, not even PhotoShop). Is it something free? That'd be good.
    There are a ton of shareware programs. One of the easiest to use is called MakeGIF and works great, although is shy of most optimization tools. I think it expires in about two weeks after download so you have to register to save anything, but it's cheap. The one I did the stuff above with is HVS Animator which downloads as a Pro version with lots of optimization features and then reverts to a Lite version after the 15 day trial period if unregistered. Some of the others add text to the image until you register. MS used to have a simple freebie animation editor for download but not anymore. One nice thing about the MakeGIF is that it takes just about any file type for input while some of the others only take GIF. Not a big deal since you are generally either editing or creating the images anyway so can save them in whatever format is appropriate, but sometimes it can save a step or two. I've just been editing images lately with IrfanView which is the freebie that Jimbo posted awhile back. One of the best written little pieces of software I've come across. Really an outstanding program.

If you do wanna do something and want some help, just let me know and we can step through it here to save you some time and frustration. It's simple but not always easy. And you never know, someone else may be interested in making an animated GIF as well

PS: I wonder if anyone has clicked on my amusing signature line yet? I haven't heard any chuckles......

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    What a treat this was! Drove me off the dime to go get the new Wheat and the Beulah disk also.
    I should probably have said more about the Wheat disc, I guess. I did remark that I like it, but it is a lot different from their last album and kind of threw me at first, even though I knew by the EP that they were headed in a different direction, ie a more mainstream sound. It is really well done, though. And it isn't exactly Matchbox 20 or something like that. But it's not very experimental and initially sounds a bit glossy for my taste. But I'm kind of adaptable I guess, and it's been growing on me a lot. Well, something's been growing on me cause I've got this itch that won't seem to go away, and I was hoping it was just the Wheat CD. We'll see

Anyway, to stretch out a short story even longer, I imagine that by the end of the year I will probably think of the Wheat CD as one of my top 10 of 2003. I just don't right now, although I should have stuck it in my honorable mention list. The song I opened the comp with, This Rough Magic, is actually the album closer. I really like the way it builds, going through many changes, until almost giving up and finishing with the trumpet solo. Just too cool. But then there is a bonus track that is yet another remix of one of their best songs from Hope And Adams, Don't I Hold You. And while I usually disdain this trend of including remixed versions of songs on albums, this may be the best mix yet, and each version is on a different album. But I do really like that first one. Always a great song, and now I have three versions

But to put an end to this drawn out story, I recommend you buy the Wheat CD. I believe you already have Hope And Adams, right? For Beulah, I would probably rec you start with an earlier one, When Your Heartstrings Break, if you don't have that one yet. Wonderful indie pop of the highest quality and a favorite of a few of us around these parts.

I
    But to put an end to this drawn out story, I recommend you buy the Wheat CD. I believe you already have Hope And Adams, right? For Beulah, I would probably rec you start with an earlier one, When Your Heartstrings Break, if you don't have that one yet. Wonderful indie pop of the highest quality and a favorite of a few of us around these parts.
    I picked it up Saturday. Only a couple of spins so far, and I like it- not as much as Hope & Adams, but I like it. It's definitely a slicker production. I wonder how many times they sing the line "I Met A Girl" in the course of 3:58?
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

yeah, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I knew you jumped the gun on the best of 2003. But I won't say I told you so, mainly because I'm not certain that I did.

jc
    I live in the moment People who expect things to get better for them when this or that finally happens spend their whole lives waitng to live.

~Slosh - riding the freedom bus to Goodtime City and I haven't even paid my fare!
    Last edited by Slosh; 12-15-2003 at 12:31 PM.

Thread Information