The Darkness - best rock act and best British group and best album?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Yeah I know - but at least we came good with Duran Duran and their outstanding contribution to music award!!

Mike

Hey, it's on the internet so it must be true. Who'da thunk it?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Thumbs down Ugh.

Yeah, The Darkness are GREAT! Especially if you pine for AOR bands like Journey, REO Speedwagon, and Boston to come back into the public consciousness! YAY! I hope there's a lightshow at their next concert!

They're a bunch of assclowns. Even if their shtick is supposed to be ironic (I'm not sure if it is, to be honest), Spinal Tap beat them to it by a good 20 years, and they were actually funny. Nothing like a watered-down parody of a parody of sh-tty pretentious arena rawk. The hype machine sure picked a horrible band this time. Let's hope their 15 minutes will end soon.

Moreover, Duran Duran for "Outstanding Contribution To Music?" I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Awards programs/articles from the mainstream music press (whether from the UK or US) are for the shortbus.

Grrrrr.
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 02-19-2004 at 04:59 PM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

just think of them as perfomance art

The one video I've seen of them is a real kick. But, I don't think they're trying to revivalists. I think they know that they're a parody, but at least where Spinal Tap was funny (but with dreadful music), these guys can rock, and do have musical talent. I do wonder how a follow-up will sound, since only about two-thirds of their debut was really note worthy. I hope they can take all the hype with a grain of salt and not let it go to their heads. I was surprised at how many of the younger audience seem to eat this stuff up however. Who knows, maybe grunge rock has a chance for a comeback. Or prog for that matter (...nah).

Thread Information