Rae

Cranes - Forever (1993)

I don't know why this popped into my head today, but a snippet of "Everywhere" was stuck in my head and I furiously dug through allmusic trying to remember what/who it was. I probably originally got this record on a recommendation from these parts, so thanks to whomever hipped me to it... these guys were by no means the top of the heap when it comes to shoegaze, but the highlights of this particular album are very good. "Angular guitars and those wet, wet drums," as Stephen Malkmus would say, coupled with Alison Shaw's ethereal vocals throughout. Anyone else a fan?

~Rae

Never heard this one and the only reference to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I don't know why this popped into my head today, but a snippet of "Everywhere" was stuck in my head and I furiously dug through allmusic trying to remember what/who it was. I probably originally got this record on a recommendation from these parts, so thanks to whomever hipped me to it... these guys were by no means the top of the heap when it comes to shoegaze, but the highlights of this particular album are very good. "Angular guitars and those wet, wet drums," as Stephen Malkmus would say, coupled with Alison Shaw's ethereal vocals throughout. Anyone else a fan?

~Rae
    ...on RR was a Rave Recs Halloween comp from 2002, although it's not attributed to anyone in particular, and it wasn't this song.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks for the YT vid. This isn't for me, although I do kind of like the etherealness of it. It sounds like it's being sung by a six-yr-old boy.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Smish
    the only reference to them on RR was a Rave Recs Halloween comp from 2002, although it's not attributed to anyone in particular, and it wasn't this song.
    Yah, I'm sure it was the old software-- maybe dbi? Maybe chrisnz? Dusty Chalk? Or possibly even Jim Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysFall
    It sounds like it's being sung by a six-yr-old boy.
    I'm sure that's the aesthetic they were going for (child-like, anyway). I prefer some of the uptempo numbers (like the aforementioned "Everywhere") to the one that I posted but I couldn't find those on YouTube.

~Rae

Thread Information