Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Canadians are coming! The Canadians are coming!

Today is the day Fall Girl (a/k/a Forever Autumn), her better half and Audio Bill are coming to my house for a visit. Tomorrow we head to Philly to see Andrew Bird at Union Transfer, then we have to entertain them until they leave on Sunday. Should be a blast!

Here's a great song from Bird's latest CD. Enjoy!

I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That's outstanding. Y'all have some fun...great entertainment with great company...I'm envious.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Good company for sure! Everyone have a great time. Oh and if you are back in Philidelphia on Sunday morning try the buffet at the Art Museum.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

It started as a joke on my part. I was busting on Fall Girl...

...because Andrew Bird didn't have a Toronto show on his new tour, so I told he she would have to visit us in order to see him in Philly. Next thing you know, she and her better half bought tickets and away we go. Audio Bill got involved later in the deal, and that's a long story. His wife can't make it but gave him the okay.

For those that don't know, my current spouse and I have been to visit both couples in Toronto a couple times, and Fall Girl and hubby were part of the group that met in Chicago a few years back (John Michael and Bobsticks made it too). That was started by Bernd but he couldn't make it because of a family emergency.

Funny thing now is that Bird booked a Toronto show! Ha! Fall Girl tried to convince me via e-mail that they were going to see that show instead and cancel the trip to Philly. I wasn't falling for that and she will be paid back for that attempted prank.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Rae
    Ah dang audiobill I am a bit jealous.

~Rae

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Make sure you stock up on Back-Bacon and Moosehead............
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Make sure you stock up on Back-Bacon and Moosehead............
    LOL! He actually does have a fridge full of "Canadian" bacon. .

It was a long drive but completely worth it so far. Swish and his lovely wife prepared an awesome dinner and a massive screen on which to watch hockey. Looking forward to seeing the sites in Phiily and a great show tomorrow night.

42 Regular
    Make sure they've had their shots. You don't know where these dang foreigners have been, man!

Have fun... and then have some more fun.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    WOW -- I'd love to see Philly.

But not this weekend..........I'm taking Tulsa Time (The Wall).

Review coming soon.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

The Canadian Invasion is back at home safe and sound. What a great trip we had! The company was fantastic! Audiobill makes a very good travelling companion. We greatly enjoyed his company during this trip. Our accommodations at Chez Swish were very comfortable and Swish and his current spouse really went out of their way to ensure that we had everything we needed and then some. I really can’t thank them enough for the hospitality.

Andrew Bird put on a great show and Union Transfer in Philly is a first-rate venue. Nicely laid out and a wonderful sound system. Swish had cased the place during prior shows and managed to get us the best spot in the house and even swindled a few chairs for us old folks to take turns resting our asses on.

For those of you who helped Swish with his HT, it’s fantastic. We personally experienced it for hockey and a music video and now it has my Hubby considering our own options (YAY!).

This was our first trip to Pennsylvania and it is a beautiful state…very open and green from our experience. The drive was long, but very pretty. And our windshield was very colourful (sample below). LOL!

When we were crossing the border back into Canada, the Customs Agent asked us “Are you bringing anything unusual back”. I wanted to ask him whether dead bugs counted but thought that he might not appreciate the humour.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up Great Time

A Big Thanks goes out to Swish & his lovely hostess Swishette, as well as to FA & her hard driving man.

Swish reignited my love for indie music & IPA - not to mention learning to relax. The weather held out for us for all 5 days. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasty cuisine of the Swish couple and their culinary delights and their hospitality was truly outstanding! Wow! Also, hate to say it, but Swish's big sreen is bigger than mine. Nice job btw Swishy on a truly dedicated home theatre. I, especially enjoyed watching the game on the big screen. Speaking of hockey - Go Washington Go! Game seven in NYC should be a doozie.

The big yellow windshield splatter in FA's photo is real - no Lightroom or Photoshop was used - as I bear witness & this was after a thorough cleaning of the windshield at the service station. It was as if the bugs were bloated on yellow juice. They breed those bugs big in PA - just like their HT movie screens.

As I type this, of course, I'm listening to earlier Andrew Bird & sipping on a Yuengling, courtesy of Swishmeister. Yuengling aside, I wish we had as many cask & indy breweries in Canada, as we experienced in Southern PA. I already am yearning for those tasty varieties, available at the Blackbull. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Thoroughly refreshed,
    audiobill

You're too kind buddy. One correction though...

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill View Post
    A Big Thanks goes out to Swish & his lovely hostess Swishette, as well as to FA & her hard driving man.

Swish reignited my love for indie music & IPA - not to mention learning to relax. The weather held out for us for all 5 days. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasty cuisine of the Swish couple and their culinary delights and their hospitality was truly outstanding! Wow! Also, hate to say it, but Swish's big sreen is bigger than mine. Nice job btw Swishy on a truly dedicated home theatre. I, especially enjoyed watching the game on the big screen. Speaking of hockey - Go Washington Go! Game seven in NYC should be a doozie.

The big yellow windshield splatter in FA's photo is real - no Lightroom or Photoshop was used - as I bear witness & this was after a thorough cleaning of the windshield at the service station. It was as if the bugs were bloated on yellow juice. They breed those bugs big in PA - just like their HT movie screens.

As I type this, of course, I'm listening to earlier Andrew Bird & sipping on a Yuengling, courtesy of Swishmeister. Yuengling aside, I wish we had as many cask & indy breweries in Canada, as we experienced in Southern PA. I already am yearning for those tasty varieties, available at the Blackbull. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Thoroughly refreshed,
    audiobill
    The great pub with cask and micro-brews is called the Bullshead, not the Blackbull. It could be worse though; you could have called it the Blackhead.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    The great pub with cask and micro-brews is called the Bullshead, not the Blackbull. It could be worse though; you could have called it the Blackhead.
    I should have checked the t-shirt prior to posting - although Blackhead has a ring to it

Or the Bull****. LOL! The Black Bull is actually an old pub in downtown Toronto so it's easy to see Bill's confusion.

Regardless of the name, the pub was tres excellente.

Dam. I missed it. You must have driven right past us.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

???

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    You have some 'splaining to do!

You have some 'splaining to do!
    Does, "I was building this" work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Canadians are coming! The Canadians are coming!-happy.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Really? Are you on the way? Maybe next time...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Really? Are you on the way? Maybe next time...
    Philly is a couple hours south of us. No matter what route you took, you had to be no more than a couple hours away.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    GM, I thought they could have driven West to Ohio and then shoot up 75 to Windsor after a nice visit in Central Ohio. Oh well I am glad they had fun.

Great job on the play center but I could not tell if you wired it with outdoor speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    GM, I thought they could have driven West to Ohio and then shoot up 75 to Windsor after a nice visit in Central Ohio. Oh well I am glad they had fun.

Great job on the play center but I could not tell if you wired it with outdoor speakers.
    If they took the route I show here: Toronto, ON, Canada to Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps
    Then they were only 30 minutes away as they went through Scranton.

No, no sound system yet. Maybe later this summer. She does have a birthday coming up. And I do have extra speakers & components left over.

I am thrilled that you all want us to visit, or at least drive past your house.

We went through Williamsport. But Hubby wants to go through Scranton next time to visit Dunder Miffllin. So you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I am thrilled that you all want us to visit, or at least drive past your house.

We went through Williamsport. But Hubby wants to go through Scranton next time to visit Dunder Miffllin. So you never know...
    I'll let you go down Sera's slide. No wax this time.

Will you stand at the bottom?

They didn't go directly to Philly.

If they took the route I show here: Toronto, ON, Canada to Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps
    Then they were only 30 minutes away as they went through Scranton.

No, no sound system yet. Maybe later this summer. She does have a birthday coming up. And I do have extra speakers & components left over.
    They didn't go anywhere near Scranton either. Through Williamsport then onward to the Hotel Swishsylvania. They stayed with us the first night, I drove the 5 of us to Philly the next day and we stayed overnight after the Andrew Bird show, then they stayed at our place Friday and Saturday night before heading back to the United States of Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information