Suspended

Has a recording ever caused you to respect an instrument previously off your radar?

This question came to mind earlier as I was listening to the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and remembering the first time I heard them, thinking how incredible the musician was playing the Tuba. Prior to that I knew Tuba existed in an orchestra somewhere but never gave it a second thought. If you've never heard DDBB you probably won't understand but the player in the band makes theTuba do some smoking bass lines.

Another one, for me, is when I first played Adegio Trio's, Stillpoint. I have to admit I haven't heard much music with harp before but on this album the harp blew me away. I just didn't realize the instrument could be so full and be such an active part in a song. I mean harp, the way it was played here, could easily be as much a solo instrument as piano.

Any similar experiences?

I 2nd on Tuba. DDBB? I havent pulled that out in a while. Mmmmmm. I was thinking more of Drums and Tuba and Youngblood BB.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Jake Shimabukuro on the Ukulele, He was in a band called Pure Heart for a while and is now solo.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Sgt Peppers made me want more rock bands to use strings,brass,woodwinds and all that cool stuff that sounded so darn good in the music.
    Look & Listen

Mutant from table 9
    This will sound terribly "60's" but for me its the Sitar. However, I didn't get it through the Beatles and Ravi Shankar. No, me it was Kula Shaker and Cornershop in the 1990's that hooked me on the sitar sound. When I went to see Cornershop, I remember saying to my buddies "Man, I hope they rock some extended sitar solos" without an ounce of irony. And, sure enough Sitar and Surbahar were hot fire that night.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Handel's Sonata No. 1 in A Minor led me to believe that the flute was something greater than the obnoxious flippidy thingy Ian Anderson used to annoy me with or an item of torture played by geeky women...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    I checked out some samples of Kula Shaker and Cornershop. Cornershop didn't seem like my cup of tea but I ended up buying a used copy of KS Pheasants, Pigs & Astronauts. If anyone needs to beef up the Kula Shaker collection, Amazon had some used titles for under a $1,00

I'm going to have to check on the Handel as well, I like flute when done right. Then again, I like Ian Anderson too.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I don't think I fully appreciated the electric guitar until...oh, who am I kidding, first time I heard an electric guitar, I loved it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Jake Shimabukuro on the Ukulele, He was in a band called Pure Heart for a while and is now solo.
    That guy is awesome: http://www.ukuleledisco.com/jakeconc...e1f5333e845e8a

Also, the soprano sax was an instrument of evil in the hands of Kenny G. Fortunately, I discovered Coltrane's "My Favorite Things."

Bach turned me into a Harpsichord nut.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    Bach turned me into a Harpsichord nut.
    I love the Harpsichord too. Only for me it was the song Skyline Pigeon by Elton John that turned me onto it.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

...IMHO, there are no bad instruments, only bad players (as DM pointed out)...even a didgerido or alpine horn has it's place...Ever hear the Police's King Of Pain...in the opening...that odd sound... it's a kalimba...an African finger piano.

jimHJJ(...fun to play with...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

English horn?

It's probably electronic (not even the real thing), but is that an English Horn in Steve Miller Band's Swing Town?

first post in this section first time I've seen it.
    Anyway, on to the subject. I've grown up listning to my sister play piano, she plays very well and I've never really enjoyed it until she left to university. I realised how much I missed it...
    I also realise now how hard it is to have a good piano playback on speakers. It's easy to tell whether your dealing with a 'good' speaker or not. It's hard to get the right depth and power. Speakers also tend to get easily strained at high levels with piano.
    This one has never been off my radar but I've always like the organ, and I especially like it because it can play so low... proper low.
    I love harpsichord recordings as well.
    Finaly 'Swan Lake' by Tchaikovski got my attention on harp.

Suspended
    After seeing the group One Alternative open for the Acoustic Alchemy, I grew appreciation for the English Horn. Out of it's normal element and in an acoustic jazzy rock blend, Jill Haley plays it like you never heard before.

http://www.onealternative.com/bio.htm

Just bought tickets. One Alternative opening for the California Guitar Trio. Only 300 seats in the Sellersville Theater.
    Last edited by Hyfi; 12-06-2006 at 05:44 PM.

THC no THD!
    Interesting question, and mine was a banjo, doing some rhythm behind a couple tracks on some Don Henley's "Inside Job". Now I like the banjo, but not by itself, oddly!

Thread Information